Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Or perhaps you don’t miss anything and are in the process of selling your collection?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Or perhaps you don’t miss anything and are in the process of selling your collection?

I have both my Apple Watches and mechanical watches for different occasions. I still prefer to resort to a mechanical watch for more of a formal occasion. As I primarily where my Apple Watch and use that as my for the majority of time. But I appreciate both watches as they both serve different purposes.

The Apple Watch is great, but it's a piece a disposable technology. My mechanical watches are something I would retain or pass down.

co1f

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2014
Yes, I miss wearing something that looks nice.

I feel like I’m wearing a PC strapped to my wrist. At least if it were round, it would look a little nicer (like the Moto or Pebble watches) IMO.

Functionally, the AW is the best.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
I never really wore a watch before AW. AW functionally is great, but I find myself looking at and reading about mechanicals that cost $5k-$50k! What am I doing?!? I thought a mechanical chiming out the time (Minute Repeater) was rather charming, then I find out a mechanical watch that does that is in the 6 figures! I guess I'll be sticking with Mickey or Minnie telling me the time.

I suppose there's only so much a designer can do with what is essentially a very small computer display, so mechanicals will always look better. So it sounds like the biggest things you guys miss is the mechanical looking better and that a mechanical is enduring.

Maybe charm is a factor? I can't explain why I think some mechanicals are charming. An AW is cool, like LTE ability in S3 or getting thunderstorm warnings from Dark Sky, but is it charming?

Last edited:

technole

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2017
I've worn expensive formal watches regularly before AW came into the picture. The beauty of having all sorts of formal bands available makes this all much better, along with showing my personality.

Reactions: edhchoe

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
I miss wearing my omega planet ocean; because the joy of a mechanical watch, in part, is the amazing craftsmanship and precision engineering. The Apple Watch is a symbol of cutting edge electronic engineering and utility; the mechanical is an object of aesthetics and mechanical engineering. Both are great; but represent quite different things.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Or perhaps you don’t miss anything
Not missing a thing, especially not the winding and manually adjusting it constantly for being inaccurate.

Mechanical watches are a relic of time, they lost their relevance long ago and just stuck around mainly as rich people toys to braggingly show off their wealth. When something becomes obsoleted, it dies out.

...Which explains why vinyl records totally aren't a thing anymore, btw. :rolleyes: So yeah, expect a watch revival at some point in the future as people become increasingly nostalgic about their outdated junky tech. After all, there are analog film nostalgics and compact cassette nostalgics and even VHS nostalgics.

Reactions: Aston441

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
Not mechanical watches but close enough, I haven't missed too much from my diver's watches.

Just wish I could get the Explorer face from the S3 on my S0.

Reactions: xDKP

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I never really wore a watch before AW. AW functionally is great, but I find myself looking at and reading about mechanicals that cost $5k-$50k! What am I doing?!? I thought a mechanical chiming out the time (Minute Repeater) was rather charming, then I find out a mechanical watch that does that is in the 6 figures! I guess I'll be sticking with Mickey or Minnie telling me the time.

I suppose there's only so much a designer can do with what is essentially a very small computer display, so mechanicals will always look better. So it sounds like the biggest things you guys miss is the mechanical looking better and that a mechanical is enduring.

Maybe charm is a factor? I can't explain why I think some mechanicals are charming. An AW is cool, like LTE ability in S3 or getting thunderstorm warnings from Dark Sky, but is it charming?

It's basically a jewellery at the moment. Something you wear to showing it off. I never need jewellery so I don't miss them. Now I'm just wearing Apple Watch with SS band for occasions. :p

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
I used to wear different watches for different occasions. But now I wear only AW. I have got to get all three rings closed!!! No time to slack off by wearing a non-AW!!!
The society in general will HAVE TO get used to seeing Apple Watches EVERYWHERE.
I will wear my Apple watch for all occasions... With different straps.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I have a nice mechanical watch collection and always wore my mechanical watches to formal events, however, ever since the AW came out I have been wearing that to formal events more and more. I really only wear my mechanical watches to super formal events. Now with my S3 AW, it is even better. I will not sell my mechanical watches though, as one day I hope to pass them down to a son and if I do not end up having a son I will keep them for the simple reason that they will probably never go out of style.

:apple:

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
Always on watch faces and looks. Apple Watch still looks like a smart watch. Nothing wrong with that I show it off and don’t hide it. Things like the Tag Heuer modular connected look like an actual watch. I’ll end up with a ceramic Apple Watch for functionality and a Tag Heuer connected for looks eventually.

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
Waterproofing
[doublepost=1508565029][/doublepost]
Not missing a thing, especially not the winding and manually adjusting it constantly for being inaccurate.

Mechanical watches are a relic of time, they lost their relevance long ago and just stuck around mainly as rich people toys to braggingly show off their wealth. When something becomes obsoleted, it dies out.

...Which explains why vinyl records totally aren't a thing anymore, btw. :rolleyes: So yeah, expect a watch revival at some point in the future as people become increasingly nostalgic about their outdated junky tech. After all, there are analog film nostalgics and compact cassette nostalgics and even VHS nostalgics.

My Rolex is self winding and deadly accurate. Try again.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

The Apple Watch is whatever somebody wants it to be. It Doesn't have to be charming for somebody to wear it over a mechanical watch. The Apple Watch has the ability to be expressed differently With various bands for more subtle or formal occasions.

josh bear

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2010
I have both my Apple Watches and mechanical watches for different occasions. I still prefer to resort to a mechanical watch for more of a formal occasion. As I primarily where my Apple Watch and use that as my for the majority of time. But I appreciate both watches as they both serve different purposes.

The Apple Watch is great, but it's a piece a disposable technology. My mechanical watches are something I would retain or pass down.

Agree. I am in the fortunate position to have a collection of Omegas and an AW. The AW is worn the most and helps me stay on top of my work. But having the opportunity to wear an Omega is motivational for me personally. This is not to show off to other people but rather as a reminder to me that I have worked very hard to achieve and occasionally it is good to treat myself to something I want as opposed to need.

The AW is a fantastic tool but I don’t “Enjoy” wearing it.

josh

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
Agree. I am in the fortunate position to have a collection of Omegas and an AW. The AW is worn the most and helps me stay on top of my work. But having the opportunity to wear an Omega is motivational for me personally. This is not to show off to other people but rather as a reminder to me that I have worked very hard to achieve and occasionally it is good to treat myself to something I want as opposed to need.

josh
Some will still argue that a Sub is the best tool watch. LOL.

broadbean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
I didn't wear a watch for maybe 20 years, until Apple Watch came along. However I do miss changing watches on a whim, but part of using an Apple Watch especially for health tracking is the commitment to wearing it all the time, which makes me wish Apple would allow some way to show the various watch face styles.

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
I have a Rolex and an AW. I wear the AW about 99% of the time. On holiday or if out for a romantic meal etc, I wear the Rolex, not because I want to show off, but because I don't want to be notified of stuff. It is quite liberating to be disconnected sometimes.

What I will say is that every time I put on my Rolex I admire its beauty and craftsmanship...I don't get that feeling with the AW, but I do marvel at the technology quite a lot.

I would say the AW has more or less replaced the Rolex for me, but I would never sell it (the Rolex) as it is an amazing timepiece.

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
Edit
[doublepost=1508595533][/doublepost]

Vinyl record sales are at a 25 year high. Look it up

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York

josh

I agree with you. I have a collection of Rolex, Omega, and Audemars Piguet (which was a college graduation gift - do not quite have that type of money) on the high end, and then a Seiko, Bulova, Emporio-Armani, and a Timex Chronograph. I love all my mechanical watches, however, as I said in a post above I have been using my Apple Watch more, and more to formal events unless it is super formal. I will never get rid of my mechanical watches, as one day I want to pass them down to a son (if I ever have one) or if not just keep them because they will never go out of style. I do love all my Apple Watches though, but the Series 3 LTE takes things to a whole new level, in my opinion.

:apple:

GoFlex

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2016
I'd wear my mechanical watch for really formal events or job interviews and then the Apple Watch for everyday use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.