To Protect His Son, A Father Asks School To Bar Unvaccinated Children

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by luvmymbpr, Jan 28, 2015.

1. luvmymbpr
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...ther-asks-school-to-bar-unvaccinated-children

Even without the argument of his son's illness, unvaccinated children shouldn't be allowed in public schools.

2. aaronvan
    Expand Collapse
    Suspended

aaronvan

I agree, but can schools force student to reveal their vaccination status? Seems that would fall under confidential medical information (unless the school itself offers the vaccine and the student refuses.)

3. luvmymbpr
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

Why not? Colleges and many professions require proof of vaccinations.

4. Renzatic
    Expand Collapse
    Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Vaccinations aren't covered under confidentiality laws.

5. jkcerda
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I dont recall being asked about vaccines when I enrolled in college.

6. luvmymbpr
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

Oh? Weird I definitely was. Hep A and B I believe.

7. jkcerda
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

not here IIRC.

anyways. why not keep his son & home school him?

8. Mousse
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

Mousse

WHUT!? They allow kids not up to date on their vaccination(or even NO vaccination) in public schools? I think my kids school requires proper vaccination.:cool: Thank the lawd. If they didn't, I would seriously consider home schooling. The last thing I want is my kid going to school with a Typhoid Mary.:mad:

9. Renzatic
    Expand Collapse
    Suspended

Renzatic

It should be the other way around. Yeah, I know. It's a free country, they should be allowed to do what they want, right? No one's stopping them from keeping their little disease vectors at home to listen to Alex Jones all day. If that's what they want to do, then more power to them.

They can't force society to conform to their beliefs, but they're perfectly free to opt out.

10. Gav2k
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G3

Gav2k

I think there is more to this story than meets the eye.

A vaccinated child is generally not at risk from unvaccinated children. However a child that has undergone that kind of treatment wouldn't have been given the vaccine nor have the antibodies to fight anything off anyway. Hmmm

11. jkcerda
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

how "free" are they? do they get a tax break so they are not subsidizing the public schools through taxes? how many vaccines should be forced upon them ? what else should be forced?

12. Renzatic
    Expand Collapse
    Suspended

Renzatic

That's an argument that cuts both ways. Why should I send my kids to public school and risk Polio or Rubella because some people choose not to vaccinate their children? I'd be forced to either home school or look at private options. Why should I continue to subsidize the local public schools through my hard earned dollars?

See, no one is entitled to anything, but they're free to take other options that work better for them. I'm not entitled to force people into getting vaccinated for my own well being, and the antivaxers aren't entitled to send their kids to public school if they don't adhere to the requirements. Everyone ultimately has to acquiesce to the majority in situations like this.

13. jkcerda
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

1. Ah, but IF YOUR KIDS are vaccinated, are YOUR kids at risk?

2. land of the free,, must have permits/vaccines or whatever it's required to enter :p

----------

from article

so the mans kid is NOT vaccinated, shouldn't other parents request HIS kid stay home since HE is NOT vaccinated & is at risk of exposing others?

:D:D:D

14. burgundyyears
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

It seems we're doomed to relive the bad old days where kids got long term complications and/or died from easily preventable illnesses because freedom.

15. jkcerda
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

are we not a tad over populated? trade you vaccines for removing all warning labels :eek:

16. Renzatic
    Expand Collapse
    Suspended

Renzatic

Depends on the disease. Measles can be prevented from spreading, but I believe even vaccinated kids are at risk if they're sitting next to active vectors.

(citation needed)

Free for whom? What's freedom for you isn't freedom for the guy who stands opposite your opinion on the subject. Freedom here doesn't means you can do whatever you want. Rather, you're not forced to go with the flow, so to speak.

Good question. There's a huge difference between "won't", and "can't". In this instance, we'd be denying this kid certain privileges due to something that's beyond his control.

So...what do you do?

17. burgundyyears
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

People who believe we are overpopulated are welcome to take personal steps to remedy that issue.

18. jkcerda
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

1 are you asking for a citation to your own claims?

2 was the emoty not enough to convey sarcasm?

3 does NOT MATTER , HIS kid is NOT vaccinated, diseases don't care as to WHY he is not vaccinated. pretty hypocritical for him to demand others who are not vaccinated stay home so that HIS un-vaccinated kid can attend school. HE can keep HIS kid home if HE is that worried. good for the goose/good for the gander, practice what HE preaches :D

----------

touche:):).

wait, I am one of the chosen ones :p

19. Renzatic
    Expand Collapse
    Suspended

Renzatic

Ayup, cuz I'm talking about something I only vaguely know about. I remember thinking the same thing you did, that if your kid's vaccinated, then unvaxed kids are only dangerous to other unvaxed kids. Apparently, that's not always the case depending on what disease you're up against.

Man, you know how people are around here. I take everything seriously, emotes or not. It's usually the safer option. :p

This isn't quite so clear cut. It's kinda crappy that the kid's dad is telling everyone else to shut up or go home. But at the same time, the kid is being denied things for something he can't help.

It's one of those grey area issues I feel like I can't give one solid, simple answer for.

20. kupkakez
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I had to be vaccinated to stay in the dormitories, not that I wasn't already, but they asked for records. I believe I also had to get a meningitis shot. This was around 2008-2009.

21. jkcerda
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

1.Gotcha.

2. while I understand that, a virus would not care WHY the kid is not vaccinated. the man has ALL the power to keep HIS kid HOME. if he wants kids who are not vaccinated to stay home that should include HIS kid for the protection of others.:D

----------

no dormitories for me, too many restraining orders prohibited that:eek:

22. Don't panic
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 603

Don't panic

well, if he gets measles, his kids is likely dead very quickly, no time to infect others.
    also, there is a big difference between choosing not to vaccinate your kid for no valid reason, and being forced into a position where your kid's life might depend on some moron's idiocy.

having gone through the same thing i am 100% supportive of the dad in the OP

23. jkcerda
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

if a woman/teen can make the choice concerning their bodies then so should the kids:eek:

24. DonJudgeMe
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

Oh, this one is hard.

In Arizona vaccinations are required unless you have paperwork stating that it's against your religion OR paperwork stating that your child is on a delayed cycle and proof that they are being caught up.

It would be impossible to force EVERYONE to get vaccinated. Poor people and religious people, alike, prevent this from happening. More so religious people.

I have to side with jkcerda on this. If you are THAT worried about your kid, you have to take matters into your own hands and pull him out of school. I don't think he is wrong for requesting, but it'll never happen.

In this scenario, you would be infringing on others' rights in order to help yourself.

I think vaccinations should be required, but unfortunately not all see it this way.

Sad story.:(

25. Don't panic
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 603

Don't panic

you are making zero sense.