To RadeonHD 5870/5770 owners: do you have HDMI/DP audio?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jeanlain, Sep 29, 2010.

1. jeanlain macrumors 65816

Hi,
    2010 Mac Pros support audio via Display Port, even using a DP to HDMI adapter (with a compatible monitor/TV).
    I wonder if older Mac Pros equipped with 5770/5870 cards support this as well.
    To check this, just look up the System Profiler at the Hardware > Audio(built-in) section and see if HDMI/Display Port is listed at the bottom. Be sure that your System is set to English, as the panel is messed in other languages (at least German and French).
    Please, report whether you see HDMI/DP listed, your Mac Pro and Radeon model (and whether it's an Apple or flashed card).

Thanks. :)

2. Vylen macrumors 65816

3. aqwhiteh macrumors newbie

how about a 3,1 - do you have audio over HDMI?

I have a 2008 3,1 octo... can anyone with a 5770 confirm if you get audio over HDMI? This would sure be a nice way to connect my Mac Pro to the TV in my office... I'm waiting for specific confirmation before ordering my 5770!

4. netkas macrumors 65816

What u have shown is just how sys profiler seeing it, it has nothing to do with real.

Show us sshot with hdmi output available in system prefs/audio

5. betterman83 macrumors newbie

And MacPro2009?

6. Manzanito macrumors member

It's listed in system profiler, but it doesn't even show in System preferences.

Ati radeon 5770. Just weird. I don't mind since I get the sound from line out, but still I'd like to have the option.

7. aqwhiteh macrumors newbie

anybody else with 3,1 and 5770 getting audio over HDMI?

Anybody else out there with a 2008 MP 3,1 and a new 5770 able to specifically confirm they can get audio using miniDP-to-HDMI for a TV?

If so, which specific adapter/cable are you using?