Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRiKliAN

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2003
Am I welcome?

Like millions of other windows users, i run a fully pirated setup.
All my software, including OS, Office, Music and Games, have all been downloaded through various means eg. p2p, irc, forums, newsgroups et.

I am a student, and my budget wont allow to pay for software. ;)
Now... I am also a very keen switcher, so my question is.

Is the warez community frowned upon by mac users?

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
I'm sure plenty of mac users do it.

We just don't talk about it (it's frowned upon on these boards).

I'm in no way endorsing pirated software, but there are some ways and means to get Mac software.

Of course, you COULD just take advantage of the educational discounts available to you.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
You'll be fine. Warez is not talked about here, but believe me, that's not to say there is not plently of it, and plently of sources for it. ;) :D

iRiKliAN

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2003
Yeah... thanks P-Worm. Ill add that to my TO-DO list.

Ill keep looking...:cool:

rfenik

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2003
There is no shortage of pirated software for the mac. The educational discounts that companies give usually aren't too appealing. $50-$100 off a $500 program is still out of the price range of most students. Fortunately, at my school they give microsoft office for $10. Everything else is still in the hundreds. Seriously, when you people were college students did you have $300 to spend on a program?

What happens at my school is people make direct computer to computer networks via airport and transfer the programs they need that way. Everyone that has a powerbook or ibook has all the right stuff. It's amazing how much software is floating around.

I feel that as long as you are using the software for educational purposes and you aren't making any money off it than it falls within fair use. When i have my own business i'll surely buy illustrator, indesign, photoshop, and macromedia studio.... but i need them for school and i don't have money. What's a poor student to do?

You should buy software because it helps companies stay in business and create innovative new programs. If you own a business it is wrong to use pirated software, but if you are a student it's ok.

If you (irk) want some help on locating some software email me and we'll discuss that in private.

-ryan

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
just for fun, go ask an apple store employee this when you go to purchase a computer. it will be really funny.

iJon

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
I only started using a Mac 4 months ago and the thing is when i bought my Mac though eBay it came stocked with so much software i almost fell of my seat when it first booted up all the big name players were there and some that i had never even heard of Mac related.. since then i have formated the drive lost all of what i had and can safly say that it aint hard to find things if you really want them. thing is do you really need MS OFFICE.. hmm

oh on a side note is apple works suppose to come with Jag ..

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
yes, switch of course. ;)

about 'pirated' software, there are heaps of places that use pirated software. TAFE uses it, and i know for certain that there is alot of design students out there that use solely pirated software, and even OS's.

i know no one should use pirated software, but especially with students, they should be helping them instead of trying to stop them from learning their software. after all, these are the people who are going to go out, get jobs, then purchase the software.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
The warez community is a don't ask don't tell mentality. There are *coughs and looks at his shoes* a lot of people that do it but general rule of thumb don’t go around bragging about it. If nothing else don't talk about it on forums. Because it’s a really good way of having a moderator's foot mysteriously appear up your ***. ;)

General rule. You can find warez for any platform out there. PC, Mac, Palm, Pocket PC, Xbox, PS2, etc, etc, etc.

As for warez music. iRiKliAN meet iTMS. iTMS meet iRiKliAN. .99 isn’t THAT bad for music is it?!?!?!

RobVanDam

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2003
It isn't the best quality of music though.

CD's are getting cheaper though. Some even lower than the iTMS price :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.