To the folks who think the 5.5 will be too big: Please just try it. Give it a chance.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bobby Corwen, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

For all the people who see larger screen phones out there and think, "yuck, thats just way too big!"

or

"3.5/4 is good enough for me and my hands."

Why not just give it a try one time?

Give it a whirl one year and see what happens...

I don't mean like a time you tried your friends device and it felt weird; I mean like actually OWNING one for a sustained period of time.

You can always return it and get the 4.7, but give yourself a chance to get acclimated with it, even if you thought you would be bothered by this or that. Have an open approach to it and you may find some benefits that you love!

Or you might change the way you use it and what you use it for and when. What about those little cases too--that make it like a small mini iPad or planner. You know, its OK that your hands are small because your hands don't have to "swallow" the whole phone; you can just hold it and use it in various sizes and positions.

What about just finally watching a few Youtube videos or Netflix episodes and enjoying the graphics or eye candy. Maybe download some nice new games even though you don't play them much, just to see the new screen and the new OS in its biggest, boldest form yet.

I know I for one am excited!! You never know for sure until you try one!

Give it a chance!!! :)

2. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

I'm sticking to the one-and-only iPhone 6 (the 4.7-inch) thanks very much.

3. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Please, I implore you to re-consider your hard stance on the topic good sir...

4. I7guy macrumors G5

No thanks, I'll take the smaller phone.

5. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I think youre trying too hard :p If they want bigger, they will get bigger; if they are set on having a smaller phone, then that is what they will get. You wont convince people otherwise. This is starting to feel like iOs6 vs iOs7, and I for one am not having any of it.

6. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Why though?

How can you be so sure?

You've never had one before. A large iPhone hasn't even existed yet--how can you possibly know with such certainty you wouldn't fall in love with it and the gorgeous eye candy it will no doubt present us with?

Don't you feel the least bit curious of what it would be like to own one??

7. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

As of right now, I think the 4.7" would be better for me. Though I do want to hold the 5.5" before I make a purchasing decision - main gripe is that it may be too big, not because of the screen though but because of Apple's huge bezels.

8. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

Best just to leave them alone. Steve told them the small phones are the perfect size as apple was not ready to make bigger ones and he's dead now so he can't tell them it was all just to sell phones at the time, it doesn't apply any more.

Seriously, people should get what they prefer.

9. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Pease just try it out, hold in your hand, maybe even take it home on a trial period. 4.7 is too small dude, same ballpark feel as 4 -just with a smaller bezel.

What Steve said was in the phone device era.

This is the Instagram era.

People will get what they prefer, Im just saying... Try out the new 5.5! You might prefer it if you give it a chance!

I know I for one will be buying one on the first day of preorders Im that excited!

10. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I'm curious as to why anyone would care what size phone another person, let alone someone they have never and will never meet, purchases.

11. baypharm, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014

baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Return it after using and abusing it for a year? Dream on....

As far as your comment that 4.7" is too small - well not for me.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. People choose what they feel best fits their needs. They don't need some random internet stranger "imploring" them to try something else.

13. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I will buy both. But the 4.7 will be my daily user.

14. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

15. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

No as far as returning I mean getting the 2 week trial period at least.

Or theres always the potential to sell it at any time after a few months if you keep a case on it and take care of it.

But I doubt most people would return in that scenario because they will find a bunch of things they like during daily use that they never even considered. Most people made up their minds about the size just in principle, not because a 5.5 is stupid.

Most of the people who feel strongly against it have had iPhones over the years and never even tried a bigger phone let alone the Apple take on it.

But in reality if they had a 5.5 for a while, they could never downgrade back to a small screen just like how the iPhone 4 seemed retardedly small, dull, and heavy after the 5 came out.

So like Steve always said, people don't know what they want until you show it to them and I think for a lot of people that could be the case which is why I urge you guys to just try it out, at least on a trial period, and if not you can return it within 2 weeks and exchange for the smaller one.

16. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

After having owned the 5" Galaxy S4 for six months last year, I'm completely sure the 4.7" size will be the absolute sweet-spot for me. That said, I am interested in seeing what extra functionality the 5.5" version may bring.

17. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I've had 2 years to get acclimated to the 4" iPhone (5 & 5s) and I still find the 3.5" iPhones more comfortable for single-handed usage. I highly doubt 5.5" would change that.

Mind, since I need both hands for most phones 4+" anyway, the deciding factor now for me is whether it will fit in my pockets. Based on the older Galaxy Notes, I don't really have high hopes that a 5.5" iPhone will do that. If I wanted on the go Netflix and YouTube, I have the iPad Air, anyway and there's always the plasma at home. :rolleyes:

18. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Sometimes needs change or evolve, such as with the way we use our devices, and for what.

19. appleii.c, Aug 13, 2014

appleii.c macrumors 6502

appleii.c

Simply curious as to why you are pushing for people to try it? Whats in it for you?

As for me, i think the 4.7 will be MORE than plenty. I am currently happy with my 3.5. I prefer something I could carry around with me in my pocket, and leave it in there most of the time. I don't want to have to lay it on the table during meetings, or at a restaurant. I like the simplicity and the discreteness of a smaller phone. Actually, even though the 3.5 has become rather "small', I'm slightly concerned the 4.7 will be a tad TOO big.

EDIT: I've seen the 5.5" (non Apple) phones out in the wild, I've used them as I'm sure many have. They just feel kinda klunky.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

So you are better able to determine what someone who you never have met needs? Good one.:rolleyes:

21. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I will try it, but an inch of bezel on the height is going to be too much if Apple doesn't make it smaller. I'll hold it up to my ear as if making a call, and if it looks ridiculous then I won't buy. :p

You'll have a lot of posts to edit if there does end up being a 5.5" one. :D

22. uwdude macrumors 6502a

Will you quit that! lol

23. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

To be fair there is no 5.5 inch iPhone to try.

24. Bobby Corwen, Aug 13, 2014

Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Yes but you don't bring your iPad Air wherever you go. Your iPhone is always there with you ;)

And don't worry Im sure it will fit in a pocket. Its a tiny bezel. If anything when you reach in your pocket you can get a hold of it better cuz its not as small and hard to grab on to.

Yeah haha I remember when the 5 came out, the 4 looked so tiny and dull! And so heavy! Thats what I feel will happen with a MAJORITY people who embrace the 5.5! After a few weeks it will be impossible to look at a tiny 4 inch screen and want to even use it or barely look at it!

Oh heavens yes. Isn't that what Apple is all about? And Steve who is a hero of mine?

Many people can. But thats mostly because people are likely to not know what they would enjoy unless they experience it. (which is what i am urging ppl to do)

Like famously, people in this mindset focus so hard on "one handed use" (and I don't even understand what that really means even) and they completely forget... duh... you're losing out on screen real-estate if you refuse a size increase. Its like tunnel vision as a consumer. And they don't realize had they bought one, they would have fallen in love with something else that they never considered because they were busy worrying about stuff that is only slightly significant but they centered their whole overall choice based on one minor aspect of the pros/cons elements in play on the decision.

The last time something so illogical happened was when people used to hate on the iPhone cuz it didn't have a physical keyboard.

Its like "dude! you just DOUBLED YOUR SCREEN REAL ESTATE FOR EVERY WEBSITE, APP, AND TEXT FIELD!! "

"....But but but the buttons don't feel the same!!! Im good with my physical keyboard!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!"

And in a way that is what is happening here. So I urge all y'all... go out there and own one for a few weeks and don't have such a hard stance against the size aspect.

25. appleii.c macrumors 6502

appleii.c

See, that's the thing for me. I have different devices for different needs. I have an iPhone, an iPad and a MacBook Pro. Yes, my every day device is my iPhone, my casual media device is my iPad and my workhorse is my Mac. I bring with me the device that will best suit my needs at the time. Famous quote (and one of Apple's/Jony Ive's recent ones as well) "Don't try to do everything because you wont be truly great at anything.". Personally, I I'm happy with each of my devices and the niche they fill.