To the iPad 16gb owners: do you ever regret how little space you have?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bobright, May 30, 2011.

1. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Going to get the 16gb as that's all I can afford hopefully I dont have regrets.

Also how much is it of actual storage -somewhere around 14 gigs I'm assuming?

2. tinyrouter macrumors newbie

tinyrouter

You should get at least 32 Gb. With all the applications and media avaialble, you'll run out of space pretty quickly.

3. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Yep. 14GB of usable space as shown under the "About" screen in a 16GB iPad 2.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Depends what u wanna store in it. I mostly have photos and PDFs on mine.

5. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

I stream all my videos to my 16GB iPad and that works fine. Rarely feel the need to sync it. Most of the space on mine is used by comics.

6. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

I currently have 8GB of space used on my 32, which effectively has 29.0 gb free.

I have no music of movies..that's all apps, 91 total (sounds like alot but it's 1 page with like 6 folders.

Most of the space is from like 10 apps.. quite a few apps now are approaching 1GB size.. and many 200-500MB.

I think as the iPad progresses and becomes more powerful app size will increase.

7. Philalbe macrumors 6502

I have a 16GB ipad 2. I usually try to stay about 3GB under by deleting large game apps that I'm sick of or video podcasts I've already watched.

8. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

For almost a year, I have had the 16gb iPad 1. Overall, it has been fine. Sure, there are times when it would be nice to have more space. However, once you get used to moving things on and off, it is not too bad. At the time of purchase, money was tight, so I opted for the cheapest model.

If money is tight, go for the 16gb; if it's not, go for at least the 32gb model.

9. LDTaylor85 macrumors member

I have all of the apps I need and I have 12gb still

10. RobesNo1 macrumors regular

Whatever anyone says, bigger is always better. If you're using your iPad properly then you're going to need as much room as possible.

Things like Airvideo are great but you can't use it on long journeys, always much better if you have those videos already on your iPad in glorious HD. :) Grainy streamed video is okay in a pinch, but always available is better.

Don't get my wrong if you can only afford the little one go for it. It's still great but you'll always be having to choose between this and that, why compromise if you have a choice?

11. Chorx macrumors regular

I own a 16gb iPad, and I constantly feel restricted by the capacity. I have about 18gb of music I want on my device, so off the bat I already have to play around with space. I'm constantly deleting apps I don't use anymore to male room for new ones. 16gb won't be a mistake I make again, if I find the opportunity to buy a 32gb black ATT iPad 2 and peddle off my ATT black 16 I'll feel blessed, but for now Ill deal with it.

12. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I owned both an iPad 1 and 2 with 16gb. Both times I swapped them out for a 32gb version. I don't even have a large iTunes library, but apps take up quite a bit of space, particularly the more advanced games.

Let's also put things in perspective here. The difference between the two is $100. If that puts a significant dent in your wallet, I think the bigger question is whether or not to buy an iPad at all. Might get flamed for this, but that's certainly what would be running through my head if money were that tight.

13. Zcott macrumors 68020

6th free on my 16gb here. I don't watch movies and my music collection lives on my iPod.

14. PT123 macrumors member

I just use mine for browsing, reading papers, emails, productivity apps etc. I don't sync my music or videos, I stream movies and if I want to listen to music I have my iPod. If I want to load up specific pics or files to show people, I stick them into dropbox from my laptop and I can see them on my iPad. I've only used a few gb...anything more than 16 would be a waste of money for me.

15. RobesNo1 macrumors regular

See that's compromising, if your happy to compromise your experience then this is true. Then again if you want to compromise you could always just buy a Galaxy tab...... :D

16. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

I've always needed the entire 64 on both my iPad1 and iPad2. It's like in the old days I used to think 20GB was a lot of hard drive space and then I got used to 250 then 1TB then 2TB and it just goes up from there. If you are used to working with 16GB you learn to shift and pick. I'm bad, I have hundreds of iPad Apps and keep at least 200 on at any time and I read more on my Pad than on my Kindle so I have a lot of books, magazines and comics. Most of my music is on my nano so I only keep my favorites folder on the Pad. I do tend to keep entire seasons of a show I am currently watching and a few movies. Avatar, which I never take off is 3GBs alone.

17. catmonkey macrumors member

Nope

I would ideally like 32gb but I have 3gb left on my 16gb, in reality I have too much synced to it - so far I could happily remove the 9gb of music and podcasts as I havent touched anything besides games, safari & mail.

18. 06Honda macrumors regular

I use the first ver IPAD and still have 11.3 GB space available.

19. ikaveh macrumors regular

Nope and I don't think I will go over 10 gb. My main use of iPad is to read books surf the net and play a little game. I don't see myself watching a lot of media on iPad

20. PT123 macrumors member

I guess some people would see it as compromising but I really wouldn't want my entire libraries etc synced t the iPad. If I want to listen to music I'd rather have an iPod nearly in my pocket than a huge chunk of a thing (by comparison). Other than that I sync my email boxes and I just use it to browse and play around with on travels :D

21. darkside flow, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011

darkside flow macrumors 6502

Don't regret it for a second.

Charing $100 extra for another 16 gb of space is highway robbery.

I stream my videos from my computer to the iPad. I stream internet radio.

For the first time, I decided to fill up my device with a bit of my music library, so with that and the HD apps I've got, I'm left with 3GB of space and that's enough of a buffer to add and delete as I go.

22. Razeus macrumors 603

I allocate mine and load stuff off and on as needed. Not a big deal. Just put what you want to watch/listen on it and move on.

23. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I have a 32 G wifi and hit the wall last week. I ended up deleting some unused podcasts and decided to let it rip my music to 128 kbps.

24. phonk macrumors member

I do. Wouldn't be a problem if there was a way to backup save games etc. But every time a big update gets released (Infinity Blade etc) I have to delete several apps (and lose all data) because there isn't enough space to download/install the update. Very annoying.