? To the people who got there iPhone 4 in The summer of 2010

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Che Castro, May 7, 2012.

1. Che Castro macrumors 603

Your 2 year contract ends this summer

If the iPhone 5 comes out in October ,what are you going to do

Does at&t let you sign a new 2 year contract with the same phone and then give you the $200 early upgrade discount for the iPhone 5 in October ?

Do you wait for the iPhone 5 before signing a new contract ?

How does this work

2. iFiend macrumors 65816

When your contract is up they let you keep your service at your current rates. Once you decide to get a subsidy from your carrier, you're bound to two more years.

3. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Once your contract is up, you still keep the line and the features. There is no etf and you can freely terminate without the etf at anytime.

If you upgade your device you will be locked into a contract again for 18 months. So i would just use the 4 for now and when apple announces the next generation then use the upgrade and renew your contract.

4. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

I'm thinking of switching to Verizon with the iPhone 5

But i will lose my fan discount & unlimited data plan

5. andyx3x macrumors 65816

You will lose your unlimited because you are moving to a different carrier. You'll have to check with Verizon to see if they offer a fan discount for your employer or organization.

6. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

I am not sure how it works in the USA, but I do know that up here in Canada, if you are looking to switch carriers and possibly keep the same plan or similar you go directly to customer loyalty retentions and start to bargain with them. YOu know, the whole "I have been thinking of switching but I have this great deal I am wondering if you can offer me something BETTER" blah blah.

It usually works for me.

Good luck!

7. emjaycee18 macrumors regular

I got my iPhone 4 at launch, and I was upgrade eligible in March so I'm planning on getting the next iPhone whenever it comes out.

However, my wife got the 4S at launch, which extended the contract of our family plan until October 2013. I really dont' know how the contract works with two lines on the same plan.

8. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Just her contract is extended.

9. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

As mentioned above me, the contract is tied to the line that was upgraded on. So in this case your wife's line goes till October 2013, and after that she is free from contract. She can then continue to use the line. However, she can freely terminate her line without paying any termination fee if she decides not to have that line and wants to switch.

10. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I have a launch day iPhone 4, and my contract has been up since the end of Feb. Waiting for a new iPhone. I really hate the new October launch time as I feel this design is getting stale after 2 years but what can you do other than wait. I now feel the iPhone 3GS users pain of a more than 2 year wait for a new iPhone.

11. dylanursula macrumors 6502

Chris, I am with you as I have had an iPhone4 since launch. I am not bored with the design as much as I am with iOS. Unfortunately its the apps and especially iMessage that keeps me on the Apple model. I am really looking forward to WWDC and seeing the improvements for the next iOS reiteration and of course a new iPhone when it comes.

12. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Mine ends this month. It took a little longer because I sold the iPhone 4 a month or so after buying and I kept switching my plan between an original iPhone and a 3GS. I'll be waiting for whatever comes next.

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

No point in agreeing to a contract without a subsidy. Contract comes with the subsidized device purchase.

14. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I'm pretty content with iOS, and the current iPhone hardware is good. But after a while you eventually want something different. Hoping I'm not disappointed come WWDC time.

15. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Another thing to keep in mind is that your iPhone 4 can be unlocked by AT&T + Apple once your contract is up. This potentially can add value when you decide to resell it.

I've been upgrade eligible since last Dec and my contract expires this July. For now, the plan is to unlock my iPhone this July and then get the new iPhone in October in a contract renew. I've already expressed my frustration in another thread about having to wait until this fall. That's assuming the next iPhone has at least a 4" screen and LTE.

16. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Got mine on launch day, no contract. That way I upgrade when I want not when the carrier tells me to. When the New iPhone is released (because I don't think it will be called anything else) I'll asses the hardware and make a decision if I want to buy or not. In the meantime, I'm only shelling out £15 a month. If you are out of contract but don't want to sign another, why not go for a rolling monthly contract? Otherwise your carrier will continue to charge you £30+ a month and you don't see the benefit. What if they delay the iPhone beyond October? You could be over paying for a year if your contract ran out in February.

17. iphoneIA macrumors regular

I got mine on launch day with Verizon. I will be able to upgrade in October of this year. I am really hoping that the next iPhone will have a different form factor so it will make my decision and easy one. Some of the new Samsung galaxy phones that are coming out are pretty nice. I just don't want to have to have a difficult time deciding which phone to get.
    Here is to hoping for a great next iPhone.

18. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Doesn't your current rate include the subsidy? So you are paying for a subsidy you are not getting? In the UK we have 30 day rolling SIM only contracts, I'll be using this to bridge the gap between my contract ending and the next iphone launch. My current monthly cost is £36, the SIM only plan is £15, so a decent saving with no lock in.

19. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

For AT&T I don't think so, the amount you pay while on contract and the amount you pay out of contract is the same. Depending on what you do. Like if you went over your data plan or texting (fortunately I am on a 1000 texting plan so I don't ever go over but of course there could be time when I may go over that and have addition charges).

I've handed down my iphone 3GS to my sister and she didn't upgrade for a long time and yet her price remained the same no matter what. When the iPhone 4S came out, she upgraded her line and yet our monthly bill remained the same before and after (minus the first month of renewal).

20. hakuna-matata macrumors 6502

21. Etiene macrumors regular

This misses the point. The UK carriers will happily keep charging the same if you do nothing about it, but you're then paying a rate that included a subsidy for the phone while already having paid back the subsidy. In other words, you're lining the carrier's pockets with money they offer no service for...

That said, I have no idea if the US carriers offer similar deals to the rolling monthly contracts we've mentioned so you might lose your deal if you go to another contract in the interval. Since the UK carriers are largely unwilling to negotiate on iPhone plans without you being a big spender, that makes little difference...

Personally I chose a twelve month contract because I'll want the new iPhone when it arrives and it offered the lowest price after the cost of the phone was taken into account. I also get far more minutes than I can ever use because O2 can't manage basic maths so the total cost is less at £52pm than at any other price plan.

22. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Both my iPhone 4 and my wife's iPhone 3G are eligible for upgrades. I plan on replacing them both with iPhone 5's when available but will be switching from AT&T to Verizon as part of the process.

23. saberz macrumors regular

I'm already due for an upgrade (early bird). My contract ends in September 2012, but both lines are eligible now. I am going to wait and see what it looks like. I do have an itch for a new phone but my iPhone4 has been reliable. I keep reading about the newer Android devices and while its nice to mess with something different I've yet to be impressed when playing with them in the store. The HTC One X is the exception as no store has it available for me to mess around with.

24. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

I bought a cheap razr v3 Motorola phone to use fr now, cause my iPhone is not working

This phone doesn't need a data plan , can I put my data plan on hold for now ,then when the iPhone 5 comes out could I reopen the data plan & keep my unlimited data ?
    I'm on at&t

25. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I'm going to unlock my 4, once I'm eligible to. After that I'm going to see if I want the next iphone. Part of it has to do with whether I can keep my unlimited plan if the next one is 4g. If not, I'm sticking with my 4.
    Right now, I'm not interested enough in Verizon to warrant a switch. Besides the unlimited and the discount, I'm good with at&t's service.