To the People who ordered a 2.26GHz 8 Core Nehalem Mac Pro, is it fast?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jjahshik32, Mar 17, 2009.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Just curious to anyone who's bought and received their 2.26GHz 8 Core Nehalem mac pro. How are you liking it and especially the speed??

Are some of you coming from the previous gen 8 core models?? No matter how I keep thinking or customizing the 2.66GHz model which I want is too much and I already know within 3-4 years I'd upgrade again so might as well get the base model. And it will be a hell of a lot faster than the mini I already have.

2. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

I'm interested to hear about this too. I have a 2.26 on order. I'm still debating going to the "next level", but it will be $1,800 more with taxes. That is really steep. Then, if I had the 2.66, I'd start wondering about the 2.93. Where does it end? (well, I guess it does end at the 2.93 LOL, but for 3 grand more!)

I look at it this way... I'm getting a rather loaded 2.26 and am coming from a 1.8 G5 iMac, so I think I'm going to be blown away by the new system.

3. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Yea also I really wanted the 2.66GHz model but I know myself and probably upgrade to the next best thing in 3-4 years. More like 3 years. Might as well save myself $1800 after taxes right.

4. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

I find mine fast, although I'm coming from a 2.4ghz santa rosa mbp.

5. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Does the your Mac Pro work fine with Toast Titanium? Also does vmware fusion work fine?

6. wrkoch macrumors newbie

My god I love mine!! I too am coming from a MBP 2.33 and there is night and day difference. I dabble with Maya, live on CS4, and occasionally use FinalCut. I too was hesitant about these new octos and debated about the upgraded quad (I was set on a MP) However after a couple early bench marks i was scared what i was getting myself into. I picked up my computer the morning the hit the stores in MI with complete faith in Apple and Snow leopard. (I'm really excited to see what SL can do!)

Nonetheless, after recent benchmarks the 2.26 octo was underestimated and this guy has NO buyers remorse. I have a difficult time pulling myself away from this powerhouse at night to go to bed. It's just so much damn fun to work with!

Just do your homework and take a honest look at what you use your computer for...

Cheers!

7. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

no issues with toast 9, I haven't installed fusion, but parallels 4 screams on this thing, like bootcamp without rebooting. I can also say maxwell render under osx runs pretty fast as well (benchs faster than a 3.2 harpertown octad:D)
    I use programs like maya, maxwell render, rhino (under osx and parallels), photoshop and illustrator quite often and they all seem quite fine and snappy.

8. Lucibelle macrumors member

Well spoken, grasshopper.

9. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

With more reviews coming out, I found myself questioning if I should have ordered a 2.66 model instead of the 2.26 I have on order. So, I just did some number crunching and some more thinking. This is what it would cost me to go to the 2.66 and 2.93 GHz models instead of the 2.26 I have on order...

These are Canadian prices:

2.26 base = $3,799
    2.66 base = $5,479
    2.93 base = $6,919

2.26 upgraded to 2.66 = 18% faster processor for 44% more money.
    2.26 upgraded to 2.93 = 30% faster processor for 82% more money!

So, I think I'll happily stick with the 2.26. I don't make money from my Mac so it doesn't make sense for me to consider the higher speed models.

10. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

if you had an edu discount you could move up to the 2.66 for $4,902 which is 18% faster for 29% more money, makes it almost worth it
    (or get the 2.26 for 3399)

11. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

I have the mac pro 2.26 octo core and this thing render fast on Autodesk Softimage XSI + 3D Studio MAX via Windows.