To the religious folks out there...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mgargan1, Mar 2, 2012.

1. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

If we were to discover life outside our planet, do you think your belief system would be challenged at all?

What if we discovered intelligent life?

2. Fazzy macrumors 6502

To my knowledge, I don't think any of the major religions claim or deny any forms of intelligent life outside of our planet.

3. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

4. mgargan1 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgargan1

So I'm guessing that it also wouldn't change your religious beliefs one byte?? (computer joke)

Do you think there would be any evidence, whatsoever, that would cause you to challenge your beliefs?

5. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

Good one. For me, I think it would just reaffirm the fact that there is a Creator.

6. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Wasn't Kirk the Creator?

Sorry... old, old Star Trek trivia.

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

V'Ger? Is that you?

8. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

This question isn't directed to me but I'm going to jump in anyway . . .

I think it would change the belief system of some religions such as Christianity. It wouldn't rule out a Creator in anyway.

9. mgargan1 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgargan1

Well, if the existence of a creator was, indeed, a fact... I don't think it would need affirmation. But, I digress... Honest question, are you familiar with the differences between deism and theism?

For the sake of argument, let's assume that there really is a creator. Why should we assume that any one particular religion is its true representation?

Why would it be so wrong to assume that this creator just set the wheels in motion, and let nature take its course. Wouldn't the existence of another intelligent life-form shatter the notion that humans are made in God's image?

I guess my question is, how does one go from, "there's a creator" to "there's a creator, and (insert-name) is the creator's son/prophet/whatever and this book is his word."?

10. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Since 1 byte is given by 8 bits yes, that's the obvious conclusion. (Computer obviousness)

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I don't think it's merely a matter of intelligent aliens.

What if they were vastly superior to us and atheistic? What if they said that they had proved the origins of the universe were natural?

On the other hand ...

What if they were vastly superior to us and religious ... and claimed their God, not our god(s), or Jesus was the true God?

What could a religious person offer as rebuttal?

An atheist would demand proof. But since believers don't base their faith on evidence or proof, what would they do?

12. mgargan1 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgargan1

Kind of to my point... it would change the theistic views of the world, from thinking that we're the creation of god, to we're the circumstances of evolution.

----------

Come on... I realized that too, but I couldn't think of any other way to make that joke. Guess I shouldn't have...

13. Rt&Dzine, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016

Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Sorry, that wasn't my point.

14. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think the Bible (Genesis 1.1) starts off with the phrase: "In the beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth"

There is nothing in that phrase to suggest He couldn't have created a few pointy-eared aliens out there somewhere. There are certainly some odd-looking critters here on Earth.

I'm perfectly able to reconcile my belief in the Scientific Method, the Theory of Evolution, etc. with my Faith.

In some ways, as scientific discoveries have pushed back further the limits of what we know about the Creation of the Universe, I find this knowledge only deepens my Belief. Sure - the present Universe may have been created in a Big Bang, but the fact that scientists cannot answer what came before that, deepens my belief that there must be Something, unknown and perhaps ultimately unknowable, that set the cosmic train in motion. That creator may not take the form of a bearded guy in a white robe, but surely it must meet a better definition of "God" than a wily trickster conjuring up loaves and fishes for the amusement of his followers.

15. mgargan1 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgargan1

What is it about the bible that other holy books don't have, that allows you to reconcile your acceptance of evidence, yet suspend the same scrutiny you apply to other holy books or your other aspects of life? In other words, if you accept the scientific method, why do you believe that the bible is the collection of stories that accurately depicts the creator of the universe? Or do you just accept the scientific method to everything BUT your belief in the bible?

16. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The thing is, I don't accept the view that the Bible is the literal word of God, or an accurate representation of the Creation, or even of many historical events.

Thats not to say I reject all of the teachings in the Bible. Its just that I recognize that our current Bible is a collection of writings by various people over the course of a couple thousand years. And often those writings reflect the social and scientific views of the people who wrote it.

Do I think that a guy called Noah, for instance, built this big boat with a bunch of animals on it? Probably not (the smell alone would have been unbearable, let alone the logistics of keeping the predators away from their prey.) But there certainly is reason to believe that catastrophic floods may have occurred in human history, and that some memory of them may be reflected in the Noah story. But more importantly for me the story is that God's creations have a way of recovering from and rebuilding from even the most catastrophic disasters.

I realize that my view of the Bible, as more a work of allegory, and (in the New Testament) a guide for dealing justly and decently with one's fellow man, is considered by many Christians to be heretical. But it is the view I've come to form over a lifetime of Christianity, combined with a deep interest and respect for the work of Science.

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

We would be forced to kill them as Heretics. :rolleyes:

Well, probably not much, because if they are anything like "our" religions, they would smite us, hip and thigh. :p

18. mgargan1 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgargan1

So, if you admit that most of the bible probably isn't accurate, why believe any of it is actually divinely inspired? Wouldn't it be more honest to just say, "there could be a god, but if there is, the bible has nothing to do with it"?

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't see anything in the Bible that rules out life on other planets, it isn't really dealing with that so it wouldn't effect my beliefs. I think if there is life on other planets it probably is more likely that it is created and there is nothing in the Bible that says it couldn't be the same creator described there.

20. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

If we discovered intelligent life out there (or if they discovered us :eek:), and there was no such organised religion, I think it would be a deal breaker tbh.

That being said, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a God, just organised religion.

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

So, you are in denial about the Earth being the centre of the Universe, or the Earth being flat?

Both were "believed" not too many centuries ago.

Attached Files:

22. eric/ Guest

eric/

I'm putting all my cards in there being life under all that ice on Europa.

23. mgargan1 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgargan1

Do you think you'd still believe in a personal god that answers prayers?

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm not quite sure where you were going with this... :confused:

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

How many "sons" could he spare to take on the sins of all those other planets?