To those buying their own SSDs -- what do you do with your HDD ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gorilla Power, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

I'm kind of undecided on whether to pull the trigger on a Superdrive caddy to add a second storage drive in my MBP (since there have been a few major changes in the internal layout and I'm scared fiddling with electronics) or rather stick to a larger SSD.

For the second scenario, what would you do with your HDD ? Make it into an external drive ? Sell it ? Please tell me your thoughts !

2. applesupergeek macrumors 6502a

Put a cheap enclosure to it and use it to take superduper backups, clones, occasionally, even sandboxed ones (just os and applications, no user folder)

Synology also offer some pretty nice driveless nas servers that use 2.5 drives, and are super quite and power efficient, plus they have a great interface to work with macs and iphones, and ipads. So you could get an extra hd and use this as home server, have it raid-ed too for piece of mind so you don't lose anything, or use it as a time machine back up location etc.

3. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Keep it around in case you ever need to get your laptop serviced. Just keep a fresh OSX install and store the drive away.

4. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Thats what I am doing. Put the ram and hd in same static bag then store it away.

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I got a caddy and put my original HDD in there. Here is something surprising: It is actually annoying how loud that HDD now is. Without it, the MBP is silent, but once you mount the HDD, you realize that it is actually a bit annoying. I got the Newmodeus caddy and since you need to break a plastic cover on the front, you lose a bit of insulation. I don't think I'm liking this too much so far.

6. Gorilla Power thread starter macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

That may be because you chose the wrong model. You need to get the one without the front faceplate, namely the OBHD9-SATA-SATA-NF

The noise may generate from unsymmetrical vibration around the caddy. Some others I talked about the caddy said they were very pleased with it.

Thanks everyone for your input so far, issue is I already have a couple of external FW 800 HDDs for Time Machine backups and such. I'll probably buy a caddy once someone uploads a YouTube video on how to dismantle the optical drive in the 2010 model.

7. gatorfan787 macrumors newbie

I'm putting mine in this enclosure:

http://www.amazon.com/Acomdata-Fire...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271443684&sr=8-1

It was the cheapest most portable enclosure I found that offers FW800, FW400 and USB.

I will likely have one HFS+ partition that I can boot MAC OS from, in order to do reconditioning on the Intel SSD I will be installing. And then a huge FAT32 partition to store backups/videos/data/etc; going with FAT so that I can actually use it to share files with PC's too.

8. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Thanks for the link. I didn't realize there was a caddy without the faceplate. Some of the older threads here on MacRumors were referencing the caddy I got (OBHD9-SATA-SATA-B), and then showed how to remove the faceplate. I may check this other caddy out.

9. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

10. Gorilla Power thread starter macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Yea and they'd use a cheese grater to file off the frame :D

Come over and have a look at my other thread where a member installed the
    no-front-plate version in his new 15" MBP. Looks immaculate.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=897971 (post # 7)

11. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

^^^^^
    Thanks. I checked out the other thread. I also ordered the caddy you referenced in your earlier email. Hopefully it will muffle the noise better than the one I have now. If not, I'll probably wait a bit and then put another SSD in there.