To those of you who have EXCHANGED an iPhone..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xerenthar, Sep 10, 2008.

1. xerenthar macrumors 6502

I've had my iPhone 3G since release day. It's seen some abuse. There are definite dropping-scratches on the back.

Today, the silence switch just FELL OFF when I turned the phone to silent. Think I will have any luck at getting the phone exchanged? It had nothing to do with dropping the thing... that was weeks ago.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

I've seen Genius swap out/repair devices that had physical damage, so long as it was apparent that the physical damage wasn't the cause of the issue.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It would be easy. It is a manufacturing error.

TEG

4. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

if the button fell off, take it to an apple store and they will give you a new refurbished phone. My wife's 2.5G started waking up and turning on the screen every 2-3 min and it would kill the battery. We took it in about 6 months after purchase and walked out with refurbished new phone. Very easy. They don't care about the scratches, they replace the the exterior.

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

The only way to know for sure is to take it to an Apple store. You may get a reasonable Genius; you may get a stickler who could try to blame the broken switch on mishandling, given the condition of the phone. If you get a cranky Genius, escalate it up the chain to the manager.

Anyone who thinks they can tell you exactly what your local Apple store will do in this (and many other) situation(s) is assuming too much. Anyone can tell you what they should do.

6. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

as long as its not a cracked screen/water damage I have seen/read/heard of apple replacing units for pretty much any reason

7. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Don't even mention the fact it was dropped (with no damage) earlier. Just tell them what happened - that you used the silent switch, and it fell out. If they question you about the scuffs, tell them it's seen some fair use and obviously suffered some knocks, but that that has nothing to do with the silent switch.

If the store doesn't help you, go to another! In my recent experience at Regents Street Apple Store, where they swapped out my iPhone due to battery issues, they were very helpful.

I think one of the most important things when dealing with somebody you want something from is to go in smiling and friendly. They will be much more likely to help you if you are being pleasant.

8. xerenthar thread starter macrumors 6502

got it!

dude was like what the hell did you do to this. said those scrapes are all from one thing 4 weeks ago (truth) he glared at me and talked to manager, said he's going to replace it because the switch is broken, but it was obvious he thought i was lying.

9. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Awesome...
    I've noticed the littlest-tiny of tiny cracks between the headphone jack and the bezel on my phone. But, I've been afraid to take it in.

I'm glad to see that even if there is superficial scratches or whatnot, they'll replace it due to defect.

If the crack spreads, it's going in. :D

10. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

Say NO to crack, drugs are bad mmmmmmmmkay...

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Good on ya' OP! Are you planning on getting a case or one of those body shield thingys'? :cool:

12. jason72780 macrumors regular

I had the same thing happen, but haven't had the time to go to the apple store yet. I didn't drop it or anything(amazing considering the abuse my 1st iPhone went through). Good to know that it should be an easy switch.

13. xerenthar thread starter macrumors 6502

there were giant scratches even by the broken switch.

thing flew out of my hand and slid a few feet on the sidewalk. oof.