To those of you with personal websites

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by tzhu07, Jul 21, 2015.

1. tzhu07, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  2. goosin' macrumors member

goosin'

For a professional website, the information on there is pretty spot on. The only thing that is really irking me is the redirects in your background information. A redesign could really help, especially if you make it responsive.

3. tzhu07 thread starter macrumors regular

tzhu07

Hmmm, yeah those external links really do not relate to me in a strong way, and may end up only distracting the visitor more than anything else. I should remove them.

4. goosin' macrumors member

goosin'

Instead of a link to the UW Department of Architecture, put something along the lines of "I studied architecture at the University of Washington, which I believe provides a great foundation that intersects with many other disciplines."

5. Tholian macrumors member

Why have a personal website?

The purpose of mine is just the opposite! I make my living in Biology even though my degree is in Political Science. So to keep myself involved in the Poly Sci world I started working on my personal page, http://readthyself.com. Although the format has changed over time from a magazine to a blog the point is it keeps me involved.

6. 960design macrumors 68000

I'm the same, design is not my forte. I seriously struggle with it on personal projects. Fortunately, my girlfriend is an artist and I get her to design the pro sites and I do the coding.

I recommend blogging about what you are up to right now. Just a little screen shot and blurb about what you learned, experienced, developed, solved, found, ect that day. That knowledge might be helpful to someone else down the line. Maybe even yourself.

7. morespce54 macrumors 65816

morespce54

Personally, the thing that really irks me (in the Web Portfolio section) is the captions when you
    mouse over the website screen shots. If you don't have anything to say that adds something useful to the project, I think you should just drop them... but that's just me...

8. Murgatroyd, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2015

Murgatroyd macrumors member

Murgatroyd

Coincidence, I've been thunking of and arranging ideas for a website the last several weeks, and I came across this website by Zoomit just the other day. I would have to teach myself and get up to speed on coding again 'cause I'm not up on the latest bells and whistles, but for $7 I'm tempted to give the Parallaxer a whirl for any future website I'll set up.

tzhu07, I posted this first, then went to your website. Less is better, yes, … is my thought.

9. winston1236 macrumors 68000

Just a few quick thoughts.

You're positioning yourself as a web developer yet your site says 'view on desktop for best..', that's pretty unacceptable these days and you'll never be seen on Google without a mobile site. It also makes it seem as though you don't know how to code it (not saying you don't).

You don't need captcha on your contact form, most everyone will find that annoying. Also

Look at using some web fonts in your CSS, that will help the appearance quite a bit.

Your logo is a bit large, smaller would be more elegant.

Make your projects more prominent and in depth, those are 'the goods' that will get you more jobs.

Best of luck!

10. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I rather like the site... minimalist is best, easy to read, not too busy... definately need a mobile component as mentioned by winston1236, maybe put your portfolio first and "about you" and "expertise" last. People should see your work right away. Page sizes don't scale well, might want to consider static/centered. As for bright colors, sure, primaries are all the rage, but it depends on what mood you want.

11. Dubadai macrumors regular

Dubadai

Always design mobile first!

I like the idea of the page, and it shows that you are capable of producing, but something that really bothers me is the way that the information is presented, and the interactions that are needed for the user to find the information on the page.

It's not straight ahead for the visitor, and it requires going up and down a lot. I think that the information presented needs to be easier for the reader/visitor to find, and not have it be a "i wonder whats down there if I keep scrolling". Surely you could just mouse-over the buttons to see the information regarding the different scroll positions, but most users won't know that is how it works.

Make the page more clean and easier to get an overview. Present yourself on the front page so people who come across your page know what kind of a page it is, and who you are etc.

Otherwise good job! :)

12. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Personally, I wouldn't have the first slide -- the one that has no information on it -- and I also wouldn't tell people I'm OCD stricken, even if that were the case. Other than that, you've got some really nice work there. I like the HTC one in particular.