To those who dislike smaller screens ...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by entatlrg, May 11, 2012.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Would it be somewhat accurate to say that many of the people who dislike small screens on phones don't use, carry or want an iPad? If so I can certainly see the attraction having a larger screen on the phone.

My iPad is almost always with me and it's my go to device over my iphone when I want to look something up quickly, do a little surfing or whatever. My iPhone gets used mostly as a phone, a little for my To Do list and calendar but it's not used heavily like my iPad.

For that reason I think I don't appreciate the larger screens on smart phones. My iPhone is my main line, but I also have to carry a device for my second line. I use the android platform for my second line and have had phones from Samsung, the galaxy nexus to the HTC One X and now the smaller HTC One S. I like the One S okay but it doesnt get used anywhere near as much as my iPad. If I didn't have an iPad I'd probably settle on the HTC One X for the larger 4.7 inch screen.

Based on my current set up with my iPhone my iPad and my Mac laptop I don't think I'd care if the next iPhone had the same screen size, actually I prefer a smaller phone so I'd like to see nothing over 4".

If you have or had an iPad or if your iPad was your main go to device would that put less importance on buying a smart phone with a larger screen?

I think the only way Apple is going to satisfy everybody this time around is to offer the iPhone in two screen sizes. That may sound like a stretch but they did it with the 11 inch and the 13 inch MacBook air and both laptops sold incredibly well. I think the phone market is more split on screen size than the laptop market is between 11 and 13 inches therefore it seems like it would be a prudent move by Apple.

Certainly going to be interesting to see what they come up with, there is a lot of phones out there in a multitude of sizes and Apple must be looking at things differently than they did just a short year ago.

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Citation? Consider the cost to Apple of gambling on your gut feeling.

3. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Oh at this point I don't think its much of a gamble. A 4" and 4.7" iPhone would both be strong sellers. And best yet give the consumers what they want - choice in phone screen size.

4. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I just wish Apple would add phone functionality to the next iPad, and call it a day. I often dream of the day I get to hold the iPad to my ear to make, or receive a phone call! :rolleyes:

5. Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

Absolutely.Since I got my Samsung Note , I hardly ever use my iPad anymore.Its not that the note is better than the iPad, which it is not, but it is simply that my phone is always in my pocket and the iPad is not.

6. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Even if they own one, not everyone carries an iPad with them. A phone is usually with you 24/7, and watching movies/shows, viewing photos, playing games would be a more enjoyable experience if the screen is a little larger. To everyone who says we dont want an iPad in our pockets, neither do the people who want a larger screen.

7. serega macrumors regular

I have IPad 2 and iPhone 4S. I hope Apple will make bigger screen so I don't have to pay for internet on iPad and same on Phone. I just would use phone.

8. cynics macrumors G4

I take my tablet to work but it's just not feasible for me to carry it everywhere. That's why I'd want a larger screen.

I agree a small device is easier to carry but one with a larger screen is easier for me to use. I think 4.3 with minimal bezel would perfect! Right now I'm using a life proof case which is thin but very wide. So adjusting to a larger device (with a small case) would be very very easy for me.

But thats just my opinion on the subject.

9. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I don't think I'd watch movies on my phone even if I owned a Galaxy Note. But yes, other things like browsing the web will definitely be more enjoyable.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    I'm the same way. Athough if I took a bus or train into NYC like a lot of people, I probably would.

True, and that goes for some other apps that show info. For example:

Flipboard on the 4.65" Nexus screen is a lot nicer than using Flipboard on my 3.5" iOS device screens.

11. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I'm not actually that fussed by screen size, but partly because I agree with OP. My iPad gets used much more. To be honest, even a 4.65 or Note-sized screen is still too small to truly enjoy stuff like reading or watching movies. I'd rather do both on the iPad's bigger screen. The iPhone really is just convenient for the internet/email/apps in a pinch. It's not something I'd want to spend consecutive hours using, even if the screen got marginally bigger.

12. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

As I don't posess a manbag to carry either of my tablets around with me (nor do I have the desire to carry a bag), I'll stick to larger screened, pocketable smart phones when on the go.

I have seen complaints from people saying that some of these larger handsets wouldn't fit in their pockets but I've had no issues with some of the handsets released in the past few years. Even the Dell Streak was pocket friendly for me. One of the advantages of clothes that fit. :p

13. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Isn't it kinda a waste of an iPhone if you're using it just for the basic phone functionality?

14. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

OP brings up some good points. Now that I think about it, the main reason I've stuck with the tiny iPhone is because I have an iPad. I never use the iphone for browsing: It's just ridiculous on a 3.5" screen. Many things suck on a screen that small. Most games are a joke to play on such a small screen. Forget about typing emails and such without a magnifying glass. Because of all that I am under utilizing my iPhone. Damn shame really.

I guess I (like many others) have played right into Apple's greedy little hands: The iPhone's too small to do many things you'd like to use it for, so you get an iPad to make up for it's deficiencies. Hook. Line. Sinker.

So, if I did not have an iPad, what phone would I have? It would not be a 3.5" phone, that's for sure. Definitely be in the 4.5-4.8" range. Then, I'd probably sell my iPad.

Having an iPad has kept me coming back to iPhones for years now, but my frustration at the smallest screen on the market is going to be over. Too many great options out there now.

15. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if apple ever releases a 7" ipad with 3g, i could conceivably just carry this around as my internet-everywhere device and a plain jane feature phone for calls.

16. mtnbikerva1 macrumors member

7 inch iPad/phone. Use it with a headset/earbud

It seems a good idea to me to have a 7 inch tablet/phone and use it with some type of bluetooth, wired, or some other connection to your ears.
    A 7 inch tablet fits perfectly in my convertible pant pocket. I buy them at REI, LL Bean, or most outdoor activity store. The pant can be turned into shorts! The pants breath well and have plenty of pockets so I wear them most every day. I wear them under my scrubs at work. It would be great to be able to pull out a 7 inch screen when it was slow at work!
    The 3.5 inch screen is toooo small!!!!!

17. matttye macrumors 601

I watch YouTube clips and trailers, but wouldn't watch a full movie even on my Galaxy S2. Need a screen at least the iPad's size to enjoy a movie imo!

Bigger screens are good for other things though, such as viewing pictures, browsing the web, reading a book, etc.

18. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Kudos for an excellent post !

I'm not a fanboy, yet I'm heavily invested in nearly every product Apple makes. As a very serious long time Apple enthusiast, some of their stubborn ways, make me wonder "what are they thinking".

We have size choices of MBA's & MBP's, we should have the same with iPads. If Apple decides to offer a 7" +/- iPad, I'll carry it daily.

Highly mobile, I'd love a 4.6 to 4.8" iPhone. That would be ideal for my needs.

My iPad is terrific, but too much to bring along with whatever size of MBP I carry daily.

19. matttye macrumors 601

Whilst I agree with you, people need to vote with their wallets. Every new iPhone smashes previous sales records, so why would Apple change anything?

If Apple increases the screen size there is always a chance they will actually LOSE customers rather than gain them.

If they do release a bigger screened iPhone, I fully expect they'll still sell a 3.5" version too, which isn't a bad thing. They could sell an "iPhone XL" with a larger screen and battery.

20. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I don't disagree with you. Apple can sell anything in massive numbers. Their products are terrific.

Why not give us two sizes to choose from like they do with Laptops Desktops etc.

For some odd reason a large number of people here are obsessed with rebelling against choices of sizes when it comes to iPhones & iPads.

That's my take on it ;)

21. matttye macrumors 601

I'm trying to be as unoffensive here as possible..

I think it's because Apple, as a company, tries to attract "sheep."

Their "it just works" mantra convinces people that they don't need options so long as the device works. This is why Apple users more than any other company argue against the addition of new hardware, options or choices.

22. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Well said :)

23. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I would love to see Apple releasing two different sized iPhones simultaneously but I doubt it'll happen. I'm one of the people happy with the size but I want to upgrade every year so if they release one new iPhone and it's too big for me I'll be a bit disappointed. 4.3" or lower and I'm happy.

24. Syk macrumors 6502a

I have the iPhone4,iPad2 and HP Folio.

I'm in IT. If I had a larger screen size when I travel for work I'd leave the iPad & laptop at home. The less I have to travel with the better.

I'm considering the the SIII or Note if the new iPhone doesn't wow me.