To those who got the T-Mobile iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jordanesque23, Apr 12, 2013.

1. jordanesque23 macrumors newbie

can you use the portable hot spot for free? or you have to pay tmobile to activate this feature?

2. Boogsephine macrumors 6502

Are you on a post paid or prepaid plan? The post paid includes the mobile hotspot for free but only a certain amount of the high speed data for tethering. You can buy 2GB increments for $10. So if you're on the truly unlimited data, you'll get 500MB of high speed hotspot data for free. If you're on the 2GB data, you'll get 500MB as well but can get more if you want to pay for it.

3. Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502

So it would be 80 for unlimited talk and 2gb plus 500 mb of data? Do they combine what you had in total or would it just be 2gb of tether?

4. EZB macrumors newbie

The data plans go like this on the current plan offerings for the unCarrier:

All plans except unlimited: one bucket for data, whether tethering or not

Unlimited 4G: two buckets...one unlimited one for data to the phone and 500 MB (or more if purchased) for tethering.

5. upnorth85 macrumors 6502

Are you saying that the limits for hotspot and tethering are different? I thought the hotspot and tethering are treated the same. In any case, I never use tethering when I can use hotspot. Any advantages to using tethering? Can you do tethering for an iPad?

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

If you're on Simple Choice plans it works like this:

$70 for unlimited data (on the phone), 500MB of tethering included
    $80 for unlimited data (on the phone), 2.5GB of tethering included
    $90 for unlimited data (on the phone), 4.5GB of tethering included

OR

All data can be tethered, data speeds throttled after reaching the data limit

$50 for 500MB of data
    $60 for 2.5GB of data
    $70 for 4.5GB of data
    $80 for 6.5GB of data
    +$10 per 2GB of data up to 12GB

If you're on Prepaid, hotspot is an additional $15 on top of whatever you're already paying. It's not available for the $70 unlimited data prepaid plan.

Tethering/portable hotspot are the same thing under these guidelines.

7. Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502

When you break it down like that those prices can't be beat.Thanks a bunch for the breakdown! !

8. chestvrg macrumors 65816

I still have not tried tethering to my kid's ipad, I will during this week and I'll report back. I'm currently on the $60/mo. Post paid plan for which I got my current iPhone 5 on credit with a deposit of $199 at front...

So this means that I can tether my 2.5GB allotment all I want if I wanted to right.

9. Beelzbub macrumors regular

I just ported over to T-Mobile and took my iPhone 4S with me. Those prices cannot be beat. Now where I am at (Outside of Indianapolis), I am only on Edge, but I really don't care, T-Mobile's Edge actually works better than AT&T's. I have been able to stream audio (which I did to test it out) and it works fine. And web pages load too. I am on the $70 plan that gets me unlimited everything plus 500MB of hotspot and even on Edge, the hotspot works decent. I was able to turn it on, connect my iPad to it, and then VPN back into my office and open up a remote desktop session. For me it works fine. 95% of the time I am on WiFi anyways so the speed is not an issue for me and so far service has been good, I am saving money and get to use the same phone, I have zero complaints.

10. upnorth85 macrumors 6502

yes.
    Tether generally means, use the phone as a modem. Hotspot means setting up a wi-fi hot spot from your cell phone and connecting your iPad using this Wi-Fi.

11. chestvrg macrumors 65816

Thanks but they seem to do pretty much same thing.

12. Boogsephine macrumors 6502

I didn't mean to mix the things up there. I typed it after a very long day at work. :eek: The tethering / hotspot are not treated differently. You get a certain amount of the high speed data before it's throttled in both cases. As far as your iPad question, you'd just want to use the mobile hotspot feature on the phone. I'm not sure how you would link the two together without the hotspot. I don't have an iPad so I can't test anything like that.