To those who "loopholed" into AT&T's Unlimited Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brayhite, May 6, 2011.

1. brayhite macrumors 6502a

Have any of you tried upgrading (for whatever reason, maybe coming from a 3GS) and been questioned about the unlimited plan? It's still some 14 months away for me but I was just curious what might transpire when I try upgrading and they see I got unlimited data even though I joined AT&T AFTER June.

2. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

They shouldn't care. You have it, so you should be grandfathered in regardless of when you got it

3. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm just curious if they're going to see that I started it well after when they ended it. I don't know how much information the reps have in-store or what all they do when they upgrade, so I was hoping someone who had done it once already could tell me if they had any trouble.

4. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I just got the unlimited data on 4/29 and was wondering the same thing.

Really though the bottom line is that the Att salesmen just don't care. All they care about is getting paid.

When I used the 2g and did the trick I ended up activating my phone through iTunes and it gave me a new 2-year contract even though I was contract free before the trick! I was thinking "oh ***** I am going to go into the store to get the contract removed and the guy is going to see that I just did the loophole and switch me back to a tiered plan" :(

Well, not only did the salesman not care at all... he even had to get his manager to take off the 2 year contract and the manager didn't even say anything!

I wouldn't be worried as long as you upgrade through a Att sales rep. They are not paid to care and police your account. If anything that would cost them money if they lost a sale by being a prick and taking away your unlimited data when you upgrade so they def won't do that ;)

5. iFiend, May 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 6, 2011

iFiend macrumors 65816

It doesn't matter what has happened to anyone, or what we may think will happen. That could all be different in 14 months. Do you really need that much planning ahead?

Besides, who cares if they know you "did the loophole". Bottom line is you had an OG iPhone and then had another. Who cares :confused:

6. drummr macrumors regular

The thing with the loophole is, even the AT&T employees do it. Nobody cares and they won't do anything when you upgrade. All that matters is that you are grandfathered into it.

7. petruccifan macrumors newbie

you could just say you walked into an att store and complained to them about something or threatened to leave and they gave you unlimited...like everyone else said though, they don't care.

8. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

My 3G S iPhone died and I ended up replacing it with the iPhone 4.

When I was at the Apple Store the sales person brought up the two current AT&T iPhone data plans--my $30 unlimited iPhone Data plan was the other option.

The salesperson asked me if I wanted to change my data plan or if I wanted to continue with the unlimited plan.

I continued with my unlimited plan. I was also worried that they would have downgrade me to one of the capped iPhone data plans-glad that wasn't the case.