To upgrade or not to upgrade.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lyceumHQ, Nov 3, 2011.

  1. lyceumHQ macrumors 6502a

    lyceumHQ

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2010
    #1
    So, I need some help.

    I have an iphone 4, I love it.

    I can upgrade now, I have been offered a decent deal on the 4S.

    But reading reviews, all signs point to it not being worth the upgrade from the 4.

    The more I read about the battery issues etc, the less inclined I am to upgrade.

    Also found out lasr night that you can't turn 3G off. Might seem trivial to most but damn it's annoyed me. First thing I do is turn 3G off. I don't get a 3G signal everywhere, so I switch it off and happily use 2G. There's wifi hotspots everywhere and since I first owned an Iphone 3 I've never needed to use the 3G. For me 3G is just a huge battery waste, and since the battery seems to be having issues anyway, it's really annoyed me. I know I'd be able to turn it off with a jailbreak, but eff knows when that'll be out.

    I'm not overly interested in the gaming side of things, so will I really notice the extra CPU power? And Siri isn't in my eyes something worth upgrading for.

    So whilst I have one on order, I have time to cancel since it's not shipped.

    I'm genuinely torn.

    I'd really appreciate some advice, upgrade? Or stick with the 4 and wait wait for the 5.
     
  2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

    r2shyyou

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2010
    Location:
    Paris, France
    #2
    It's a personal decision that only you can make however it sounds like you've done your homework. If I was in your position, I'd stick with the 4 and wait to see what the next iPhone brings.
     
  3. DryEyez macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #3

    From what you've said OP I would really just stick with the iPhone 4. I'm in the same sort of boat as you except with an iPhone 3GS. I could upgrade now, but I'm not sure the iPhone 4S is for me with the current problems and may just wait it out until the next iPhone.

    The only advice I would give is not to continue your current contract and pay what you have been paying...instead take out a new sim only contract and get a cheaper deal.
     
  4. lyceumHQ thread starter macrumors 6502a

    lyceumHQ

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2010
    #4
    That's for the replies.

    I think I'll call and just switch to a sim only.

    I did forget to mention, I have another contract for my mum, that's due for upgrade in January. So if the issues are sorted etc and I do feel like upgrading I can get the handset on her contract, keep the phone and have her keep the sim in her current phone since she's perfectly happy with it.
     
  5. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2010
    #5
    If my iPhone 4 would have lasted until the 5 came out I would have stuck with it, however it was having too many problems. Dropped calls, proximity sensor and home button. I had to bite the bullet and upgrade :(
     
  6. lyceumHQ thread starter macrumors 6502a

    lyceumHQ

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2010
    #6
    Yeah, if I was having issues I'd have upgraded. Thankfully my 4 is still good and I have apple care left till July of next year.

    Just called and cancelled. Went on £15 sim only, happy with that.

    Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.
     
  7. asleep macrumors 68040

    asleep

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2007
  8. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

    Maskusee

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2008
    Location:
    Philly
    #8
    You should wait.
    As long as you are having no issues with reception.
     
  9. nmork macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2011
    Location:
    Under your bed.
    #9
    Good choice!
     
  10. stev3n macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2010

Share This Page