To wait or not to wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jtinch, May 1, 2012.

  1. jtinch macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2011
    #1
    The story is pretty simple: I have a Droid X which has terrible battery life. Seriously it is almost dead when I get home from school (with charging overnight); the only time I use it is at lunch. My upgrade is in mid May. Everyone in my family has an iPhone, and I can afford one with my job. I am very stingy about product release cycles. I don't want to buy a 4S now if there is even the slightest chance of a new one being announced at WWDC. I might even wait until the fall if I have to. Any advice?
     
  2. rudolf macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2008
    #2
    There's always a new iPhone right around the corner. No one knows what features it has or when it will be released. If you need a phone now, get it now, otherwise you will be forever putting it off some something that will be "coming soon".
     
  3. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

    bandofbrothers

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2007
    Location:
    Uk
    #3
    Hi,


    You could sell your current phone to generate some cash.

    If you have the disposable income then go ahead and get the 4s.

    Then like many others sell the 4s to purchase the next iPhone release.

    Like already said, if one always waited for whats out new around the corner before making a purchase, then one would not purchase anything at all.
     
  4. cyks macrumors 68020

    cyks

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2002
    Location:
    Westchester County, NY
    #4
    Does the 4S meet or exceed your needs? Your current phone does not.

    What's the question and why worry about release cycles?
     
  5. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

    Confuzzzed

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2011
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #5
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do friend. Most people on here actually also fret about release cycles (why else would they be on mac rumors website). In my view, the square home button that emerged a few days ago (if you believe it that is...some people have questioned it) is the first tangible sign of a refresh. In my experience, more parts show up 5 weeks ahead of a new release so I would imagine the probability of a WWDC release is slim. That been said, there are still 5-6 weeks to go to WWDC, so watch out if more parts start emerging. Also another sign is serial numbers start emerging from carriers and 3rd party distributors. And staffing plans start emerging from said carriers and/or even apple stores themselves. Finally given the heat that seems to be generated by the A5X chip, I can't imagine that technology is ready for the iPhone just yet. So October release seems the most likely timeline at present. Hope this helps.
     
  6. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2011
    #7
    You could buy a used iphone on ebay for a cheap price without having to affect your upgrade and when the next iteration comes out, you can then sell that phone and buy the new one.
     
  7. JoltinJoe macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2009
    #8
    I have a two year old Blackberry Bold and my account is ready for an upgrade. The Bold really struggles some days, I really want to throw it through a wall sometimes. My parents and sister all have 4S's as well, but I'm waiting for the next iPhone, no question.

    Do you have any older smartphones hanging around the house that might be in better condition than your X that you could activate just for the few months?
     
  8. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2011
    Location:
    Tallahassee, FL
    #9
    I was in your exact situation, sans the school bit. I am upgrade eligible in mid-May and had a Droid X. It was laggy, battery didn't last and itunes was out of reach. My wife had an iphone and I wanted one. Upgrading to a 4S with a new generation phone right around the corner (I'm older and patient and 8-9 months is a very short period of time in my view). I sold my Dorid X and found a good used iphone 4 for $225 on craigslist. Now I have an iphone and still have my upgrade to use in the fall if Apple makes some much needed improvements in their product line. So my advice to you would be to sell the X for whatever you can get for it now and find a good used 4 or 4S and save your upgrade for something actually worth upgrading to.
     
  9. Sedrick macrumors 68030

    Sedrick

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2010
    #10
    ^^ That. No way should you lock into another 2 year contract this late in the game. Buy used!
     
  10. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

    Jordan921

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2010
    Location:
    Bay Area
  11. BiggAW macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2010
    Location:
    Connecticut
    #12
    Either buy a DROID RAZR MAXX, which is the successor to the DROID X and X2, or wait for the iPhone with LTE. LTE is transformative on Verizon, and buying a phone [on contract] without LTE at this point is just plain stupid. If your phone is completely dead, and a new battery won't help (although it sounds like it will), buy something off Ebay. D2's are under $100, I'm sure there's plenty of other Verizon phones out there to hold you over.

    I have described the iPhone 4S on Verizon as a turd-bird for not having LTE.
     
  12. sviato macrumors 68020

    sviato

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2010
    Location:
    HR 9038 A
    #13
    I'd suggest this as well. Sell your current phone if you can and buy an iPhone 4 for now.
     
  13. blairh macrumors 68030

    blairh

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2007
    #14
    Purchase a used working iPhone 4 and use your upgrade this fall. Absolutely.
     
  14. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

    mrsir2009

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2009
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
    #15
    According to the Buyer's Guide the iPhone is 'approaching end of a cycle'. I'd wait and buy the next iPhone at the beginning of the cycle.
     
  15. cyks macrumors 68020

    cyks

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2002
    Location:
    Westchester County, NY
    #16
    ...a cycle that will likely end/ restart in October, 5 months away. Sounds like a long wait to me.
     
  16. App King macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 1, 2012
    #17
    It depends if you are willing to wait. Rumors has it that the iPhone 5 will be released around sometime the end of this year. I personally would wait.
     
  17. BiggAW macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2010
    Location:
    Connecticut
    #18
    September is more likely. But buying a 4S on Verizon now is stupid. EVDO is decrepit.
     

Share This Page