To Warranty or Not to Warranty? That is the question.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elgrecomac, May 1, 2009.

1. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

As 3G owners we have up to 1 year to buy an extended warranty for our phone. Just wondering how many of you are planning to buy the extended warranty before time runs out in July (or when ever you bought you phone. :cool:

2. LinMac macrumors 65816

I do it for my Macs, but since I can't get insurance for my phone I haven't bothered getting AppleCare for it.

3. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

what's the point, there's a new iPhone release every year @_@

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

The majority of extended warranties, offered by retailers on (usually) electronic gear, have been shown to be a financial rip-off, offering no more than can be obtained from one's own domestic "contents" policy. Salesmen like to push these to purchasers because they usually yield high rates of commission.

The exception to this is the manufacturers extended warranty, such as AppleCare, however it's availability for the iPhone, for some reason, is extremely limited in its coverage - US only(?).

My personal philosophy regarding equipment of this type is,"If it doesn't go wrong in its first year, it's not likely to do so thereafter!".

5. KingHuds macrumors 6502

It gives you another year of free replacements for any problems or defects, so if the new phone isn't released, I will probably pay for the extended warranty.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If you bought your iPhone using a credit card that doubles the warranty, you already have a 1 year extension.

7. bigchief macrumors 6502a

Give more details on that please.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Most major credit cards have some kind of warranty program (AmEx's Extended Warranty/Buyer's Assurance Plan, VISA's Warranty Manager Service, Mastercard's Extended Warranty Coverage) that extends the warranty of your purchases by up to 1 year from the original warranty. So if anything breaks after one year, you file a claim with the CC company and they'll either reimburse you the cost of the repair or the price you paid for it to cover the new replacement.

9. genmic macrumors regular

This is great to take advantage of - just make sure to check your cardmember agreement, as not all Visa/Mastercard cards are applicable.