To whom who stated no other cell phone suffers like the iPhone 4 with its antenna

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ryuuzaki, Jun 28, 2010.

1. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Compare two recent phones, not one from nearly two years ago.

2. ryuuzaki thread starter macrumors member

ryuuzaki

I don't know what to tell you.

3. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

You can say many things to me:

You are cool
    You are ct2k7
    You are living
    You are not dead
    You are viewing a thread on a forum called MacRumors: Forums
    You are not allowed to kill somebody
    You are not allowed to steal
    You may eat
    You can go to the shops
    You shower everyday
    You like Marmite
    You love cats
    You live in the UK
    You are very nice
    You are special
    You are extremely sexy
    You have a nice bum
    You have an iPhone
    You don't need another iPhone
    You are a great person
    You are generous
    You are beautiful and healthy
    You eat breakfast everyday
    You are rich
    You are not poor
    You are smart
    You are a walking work of art
    You wore a dazzling coat of many colours
    You loved your coat of many colours
    You did not cheat of your girl/boyfriend
    You registered in 2008
    You are feeling rather hot in this hot weather
    You will be going to sleep soon

to name a few.

4. jb007clone macrumors 6502

jb007clone

I don't think the question is 'Does every phone suffer from signal attenuation?'

The fact of the matter is most DO.

The real questions are 'Does signal attenuation severely impede the iphone 4's functionality when held normally?'

AND, if so, 'Should this be considered a defect?'

This is the current debate. Some people see no issues, some do.

Right now, all that anybody can do is test, debate and wait to see if there's an acknowledgment, fix, recall, etc.

5. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

Thanks for posting. Like Apple says, it's not an entirely uncommon thing.
    :eek:

6. Skystar macrumors 6502

I thought you can hold Nokia's any way you like?

7. tuatha macrumors regular

It's already been pointed out a dozen times, but when you can post a video of another phone losing reception when a single finger or a coin is placed on it, only then will you have proven anything.

All phones suffer from signal degradation when you obscure the antenna, we all know that, but none do so quite as dramatically as the iPhone.

It's not acceptable from a premium smartphone, and certainly not from a manufacturer that rightly prides itself on its design, so why let them off the hook? Why not press them and force them to fix it instead of making excuses for them?

I don't understand some of you guys...

8. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

A fix in on the way, most of us are just tired of the constant posts and thread thefts on this topic. For the record I HAVE NO ISSUES with reception regardless how I hold it, what I do with any finger or whatever dime, quarter,, etc... I put on or near it.

If you people kept the poor reception issues to one thread and simply kept that going, I would not make an effort to contradict some of your ramblings. If you have such an issue take the phone back and get a refund.

The almighty dollar speaks and if there are so many people with this problem and they all took their iPhones back - would not Apple take your complaints more seriously?

Until you take your iPhone(s) back, I won't take your complaints seriously.

9. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

+ (Infinity +1 ) << beat that.

My old phone lost some signal if you totally wrapped your hand around the antenna, it didn't lose all of the signal like my iPhone does when you hold it normally.

10. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Thank God there are other poorly designed phones out there!:rolleyes:

11. tuatha macrumors regular

@Revelation78

I'm not sure I understand how attempting to dismiss the issue as one which affects every phone (which is untrue) fits in to that, but nonetheless, I agree in spirit.

Everybody who has this issue should bring their phones back.

Incidentally, there's been no confirmation of a fix from Apple. Just that initial post from AppleInsider, which is a propaganda rag, and an ambiguous email from Steve Jobs.

Tech support reps are giving conflicting messages (have a look at some of the threads; "it's software", "it's hardware", "it's limited", "it's widespread", "bumpers fix it", "bumpers don't fix it") and the moderators on the apple board have deleted almost every post that mentioned a forthcoming fix...

It's hardly surprising that the place is so frantic and confused right now.

12. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I can make a 3G phone with a case on it drop bars like Richard Simmons drops bars of soap in a prison shower, just by fondling it.

13. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Points taken.

I thought it was official that a software update was coming out, maybe I misread it.

14. touchmonkey macrumors 6502

pix or it didn't happen
    or whatever you crazy kids say these days:)

15. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

There are two problems with that:

1) People get told by Apple support that the problem is with the software and that an update will be issued, so they are simply told that they wont replace the phone because it wont help. Others get told that there is no problem, so they wont replace the phone. Others then get told that there may be a problem, but Apple needs to look into it first.

2) This is then backed up by the people who have taken their phone back two or three times and had the exact same problem with the replacement. Any support tech is going to assume that with that level of defectiveness, any further hardware swaps are going to be pointless.

16. iphoneguy123 macrumors regular

Here's an idea, lets eliminate customer service entirely and return everything and anything for all issues, major or minor.

Thankfully Apple doesn't apply your crude and primitive way of thinking to the way they handle customer service.

17. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Some support rep apparently said that. If everything they said was accurate, we'd all have free bumpers, new phones, new firmware, and contracts with Verizon. :D

18. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

What we discussed wasn't taking an iPhone back for a replacement, but for a refund. If devices are defective as people claim, then Apple cannot refuse to accept the device back and refund the customer's money.

Let's just say 250,000 iPhones are affected, don't know the real number, if that many iPhones were returned for a refund today, do you not think that would cause Apple to act in an expedited manner?

19. violaguy5 macrumors member

You are a moron.

20. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

How true, how hilarious.

Steve Jobs initial response was like that of a used car sales person.

Too bad just days earlier during his keynote speech, he used his best sales pitch to attempt to convince us it was the most advanced phone on the planet.

The launch was a debacle, the phone looking weak. But it's a stellar iPod.

21. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Then don't make it sounds like it's the end of the world... There ace been plenty of people that say they have the issue, but they have work arounds and are keeping their iPhones. Then there are people that cry as if their life is over because someone else is experiencing an issue.

Fact remains, if you want to make a statement, make it with your bank account. If you're unhappy and willing to wait, great, but don't post on here every fives minutes about your antenna issue. You chose to stick it out and it for a fix, then stick it out like a man.

22. Wheezie macrumors member

A software fix for a hardware problem will simply HIDE the fact that there is a problem unless they *boost* the signal which of course they can't when the signal degrades. Thus you could be in a poor reception area and show you still have full signal yet you will wonder why the 3G speed is so slow or does not exist. IN other words you are truly LYING to the customer about the signal they really have.

But what do I know? My 3GS does the same thing and I bet when my 4 gets here on Wednesday it will do the same thing. The question is will I send it back?

23. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

And other carriers and manufacturers have done the same thing with a software fix. Do you see several posts per day from 3G owners about poor reception? Nope, didn't think so, but it was an issue right after launch - until a software fix came out.

24. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

But you don't know it's the same thing.

Toyota was able to fix the problem with their accelerator pedals by adding a metal shim. That's not going to be able to fix every car design flaw until the universe ends.