Toast 7

Neuro

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2003
London
I currently own Toast 6 Titanium and would like to upgrade to 7. However, the new price on the Roxio website is £69.99 and the upgrade price is £54.99!

Am I the only customer that thinks this is an extortionate upgrade price? Has anyone seen a cheaper upgrade anywhere else?

Basically, there's no way I'm paying almost full price to go up one version number.

Neuro

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2003
London
road dog said:
it's a pretty significant change.

http://www.roxio.com/en/products/toast7/why_upgrade.jhtml

could be worse re: price... at least there is a discount... apple actually raised the price when they went from ilife 4 to ilife 5.
Hmm, Apple's greed doesn't justify anything. Most companies charge less than 50% of the full price for an upgrade, especially when upgrading from the latest version - I only bought Toast 6 about 1 month ago.

Hence, I think for V6 users, the upgrade should be £35 or less.

If it was, I would buy it. Now I will wait until a killer feature I desperately need. Existing customers are always the most important prospects to any company, so this pricing policy doesn't make sense. It's just greedy.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
Neuro said:
I currently own Toast 6 Titanium and would like to upgrade to 7. However, the new price on the Roxio website is £69.99 and the upgrade price is £54.99!
Post-rebate?

I don't know what the deal is in the UK, but in the US, there is no upgrade package. There is one package (suggested retail price of $100) and a $20 mail-in rebate coupon for upgrade customers.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
Neuro said:
Hmm, Apple's greed doesn't justify anything. Most companies charge less than 50% of the full price for an upgrade, especially when upgrading from the latest version - I only bought Toast 6 about 1 month ago.

Hence, I think for V6 users, the upgrade should be £35 or less.
V6 was released almost two years ago. This isn't an upgrade to a one-month-old product, even though you only bought your copy last month.

sjk

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Eugene
shamino said:
V6 was released almost two years ago. This isn't an upgrade to a one-month-old product, even though you only bought your copy last month.
And there were several point releases between v6 and v7, even if mostly bug fixes.

That some business doesn't sell and upgrade products the way we might want or expect them to doesn't automatically make them greedy. Let's see real evidence, not heresay, before drawing that conclusion. Right, Neuro? :)

sjk

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Eugene
road dog said:
actually i'd say they were more than just bug fixes in the version 6 updates... double-layer and dual-layer support, auto play for dvds.
And that's why I wrote "mostly bug fixes".

Neuro

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2003
London
sjk said:
And there were several point releases between v6 and v7, even if mostly bug fixes.

That some business doesn't sell and upgrade products the way we might want or expect them to doesn't automatically make them greedy. Let's see real evidence, not heresay, before drawing that conclusion. Right, Neuro? :)
Apple often supplies free updates to software if you've bought an old version close to a new release date, which seems fair.

I also use Sony CD Architect on the PC. New price: $119.96. Upgrade price: $59.95. Again, seems fair.

Their current UK promotion offers any Toast user an upgrade for £54.99. A fairer offer would be to provide V6 users with a greater discount. This is what most other software companies do (including the one I work for).

It's not a problem though, I just won't buy it. Roxio's upgrade policy doesn't make financial sense for me to upgrade with every release.

Neuro

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2003
London
Diatribe said:
Isn't Popcorn integrated in Toast 7 now? If yes, that's a pretty significant upgrade then.
I'm not debating that it's a significant upgrade (or I wouldn't want it). It's the fact I have to pay an unusually high upgrade price and someone with V1 can get it for the same money...

road dog

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
apple's policy...

actually i checked after reading a prior poster saying apple offers reduced price for someone who recently purchased.

that's not the case... they call it the "up to date program" and what it provides is for someone who purchases a Mac on the day (or for 30 days later) that they introduce new versions of the OS or the iLife programs to get the OS or the iLife software for a reduced price. they probably do this because the hardware is shipping with out of date versions of the OS and the iLife applications.

it doesn't do anything for anyone who has purchased the OS or the iLife programs prior to them coming out with a new version. those people have to pay either $129 or $79 to get the new version like everyone else.

sjk

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Eugene
Diatribe said:
Isn't Popcorn integrated in Toast 7 now?
Yes, but Popcorn runs on G3 Macs and Toast 7 requires a G4/G5 Mac. I don't want to think about how long takes to compress video on a G3.

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
Hmm, I like the divx features in Toast. I've had huge problems burning divx files only to find that they were terribly smushed and had problems playing. This alone will be reason enough for me to buy Toast (which I haven't used since 2002 or so, when I was still using my old iMac), since Alias is much more suited for my tv than my 12" powerbook.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
Neuro said:
It's not a problem though, I just won't buy it. Roxio's upgrade policy doesn't make financial sense for me to upgrade with every release.
Lesson number one (in all of life, not just software):
If it ain't broke, don't fix it
If you're using version 5 or 6 and it works fine for you, and you don't care about the new features, don't bother upgrading.

ammon

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2005
Colorado
This is great news and all, but when will there ever be a great burning app for Mac?

I still feel Ahead should make a full port of Nero for the Mac. Only in my dreams...

road dog

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
you can disable the compression

Artful Dodger said:
The only thing that I want to make sure about Toast 7 is if I don't need to use the compression feature (disable it) since I like to use DVD2oneX for that.
Other wise it seems to have some really nice features.
Yes, you can disable the compression. Roxio has named the compression "Fit-to-DVD" (even TM'd it) and you can check/uncheck it if you want. It's available when you copy right from DVD, disc image or VIDEO_TS folder.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
road dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Dodger
The only thing that I want to make sure about Toast 7 is if I don't need to use the compression feature (disable it) since I like to use DVD2oneX for that.
Other wise it seems to have some really nice features.

Yes, you can disable the compression. Roxio has named the compression "Fit-to-DVD" (even TM'd it) and you can check/uncheck it if you want. It's available when you copy right from DVD, disc image or VIDEO_TS folder.
Thanks this helps out a lot, just worried I wouldn't have a choice ;)

sjk

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Eugene
doucy2 said:
just download it, but it is illegal so dont get caught
WTF? Seriously, you don't see anything wrong in encouraging someone to engage in criminal behavior?