Tobacco company buys tobacco cessation company

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cave Man, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Smart move in my book. I can't imagine the smoking business being profitable for that much longer, its not like they are seeing much of the $5+ dollars smokers pay to smoke anyways.

3. Cave Man thread starter macrumors 604

Cave Man

I don't follow you. Once people stop smoking their tobacco profits drop. Then there'll be no reason to have a cessation company because its profits will drop. Am I missing something here?

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

10+ dollars here, most of which goes to our crooked city government.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

$10 a pack? :eek:

I can't imagine wanting a butt (easy, now) that badly.

6. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Same thing I was thinking.

I don't know if tobacco companies getting some kind of tax break or incentive from running the anti-smoking ads they've done in the past, but it would make more sense than getting into the "quit smoking" business.

7. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

On the surface it makes good business sense. For your investors you maximize profits by exporting tobacco and making profits on it in markets where smoking is growing (and maybe even less taxed), as I understand it this is mainly in the developing world.

...and then you earn profits from the trend to stop smoking in the markets where smoking is declining.

8. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Yes, because if they can get generation after generation of young smokers to get addicted, then they can make money while they smoke and then make even more money while they try to quit.