Today I’m buying a new Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SB-MBP, Oct 9, 2017.

1. SB-MBP Suspended

SB-MBP

It’s been an expensive and confusing year for me. I started off with my trusty old Mid-2012 which was a month off turning 3 years old. Keyboard stopped working and after various attempts to fix it with an eBay part, I sold the Mac for parts.

I bought a £280 HP to do in the mean time whilst I saved up for a new Mac of my dreams. But I was so horrified by this I sold it the next day...

Then I borrowed an iPad mini from a friend. It went better than expected but as it was so old it could barely handle Word workloads.

Then another friend decided I could lend their Air 2. A great job vs the Mini but eventually I thought I’d like a serious machine again.

So I bought a Lenovo ThinkPad E470 after reading so much about their quality. But after a month Windows 10’s lack of integration with the Apple ecosystem I knew and loved was bothering me so I sold that and lost almost half its value....I was then told ‘oh, the e series is an exception to the quality’...

Went out and bought myself an iPad 2017 128GB as with iOS 11 it seemed a promising replacement. Though it’s sort of bothering me now with the small display and cramped screen real estate..

I’m just biting the bullet and buying a new MacBook Pro 13”. The base model. I need to take some money from my savings but at the end of the day I used my former Mac 365 days per year every year I had it. I don’t think I’d be happy with any other machine. And this time I’m forming out for Apple Care so that if anything like the keyboard fails this costly investment is safe for 3 years...if I had it on my old Mac I’d still be using it today.

It’s £1,249 here but my student discount puts that to £1,124.40. Apple Care is normally £229 but I can get it for £114.

I’m tempted by the 12” MacBook for its 256GB SSD but that seems to be it’s sole advantage.

Other than that... comes the hardest decision of all.... Silver or Space Grey hmmmm

2. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

Now now less than a month after writing this long post about how you were going iPad-only, back to the Mac. I'm not surprised at all.

I'm happy having both an iPad (Air 2) and MacBook Pro (2012 Retina), but if I had to choose just one to keep, no question it would be the Mac. The iPad is more convenient for some light tasks, but iOS is still way too limiting for tasks like any sort of development IMHO. The iOS Files app is also not a substitute for Finder on the Mac.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 9, 2017 ---
    Easy decision, Space Gray. ;)

3. SB-MBP thread starter Suspended

SB-MBP

I had to learn the hard way. Maybe my write up will save others the hassle?

4. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

Could've just installed Mac OS on your ThinkPad.

5. infernoguy macrumors regular

infernoguy

Space Grey... Always a great color for Apple products!

I'm with ya on the switch. I went from iPad only (with a Dell work issued Latitude) to a used Late 2013 13 inch rMBP (I'm a sucker for USB3 ports) to compliment my iPad Pro 12.9 2017. While the Dell/iPad combo was good, the lack of Apple ecosystem integration was the drive killer for me when it came to using a laptop. Going "Back to the Mac" makes sense now as there's room to use all three categories of devices everyday.

6. SB-MBP thread starter Suspended

SB-MBP

I’d be surprised if you could even explain (in appropriate detail) the complete stages to doing that to be honest - not easy and not the same experience sadly

7. Poki macrumors 65816

Poki

I didn't go as far, but I also bought an iPad Pro, thinking it might buy me enough time to wait for the next update on the MBPs. To be honest, I don't use it to work at all (except as a graphics tablet in combination with my Mac, which is great). For me as a graphic designer, it's simply not viable from a workflow perspective. I still have my desktop Mac to work with, but for some odd reasons I highly prefer working on a notebook, so I'll just grab the next MBP whenever it is released, no matter what Apple does with it.

8. SB-MBP thread starter Suspended

SB-MBP

Well guys, it's bought.

MacBook Pro 13" 2017 non-touch bar, with 3 years of Apple Care to hopefully prevent the fiasco that wrote off my former beloved Pro.

It feels good.. a lot of friends from the iPad section will see me as a failure for giving up and going back to the Mac

9. jerryk macrumors 601

I use both. iPad Pro is great for consumption or taking a quick note or two. But, does not have the applications, or other facilities (shell, etc) I need to do a lot of my "real" work.

10. scotttnz macrumors 6502a

Some people can do everything they need on an iPad, others can’t, or don’t want to. There is no right or wrong when it comes to device selection. No need to worry about other people’s choices, Just use whatever works for you and be happy.

11. SB-MBP thread starter Suspended

SB-MBP

Booting into High Sierra for the first time... bright and early. Ready to be thrown right into an intense day of Managerial Finance...

Attached Files:

12. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

13. SB-MBP thread starter Suspended

SB-MBP

14. jerryk macrumors 601

You described the issues some are having with High Sierra.:(

15. SB-MBP thread starter Suspended

SB-MBP

Driver problems and incompatible updates? On High Sierra? On Apple hardware?

One question: how?