Today in Stupid (pardon my french): Sea Kittens

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by joepunk, Jan 9, 2009.

1. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

"Would people think twice
    about ordering fish sticks
    if they were called
    sea kitten sticks?"

That is what PETA wants fish to be called from now on: sea kittens. This is to make the eating of fish—pardon, sea kittens—seem less appealing. Their website has been accordingly infantilized. You can even create your own sea kitten, giving it a tiara, or a litterbox, or an elephant disguise, or leather chaps (I think).

(Typing all this out while eating my Battered Halibut—I mean sea kittens)

Attached Files:

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Awesome. Just friggin' awesome.

PETA cracks me up.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. What a bunch of loons!

4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

The sad thing about PETA is the con job they've done on folks who think it's a variety of animal shelter group, protecting critters against thirst and starvation and such.

Ingrid Newkirk with her "A rat is a pig is a dog is a boy" BS is just as nutty as Wayne Purcell's HSUS--Humane Society of the United States--and his anti-hunting/fishing/pets efforts. If they had their way, no more milk or eggs, either. "Exploitation" and "abuse", by their definition.

PETA raises millions of dollars per year from cat&dog owners who don't realize that PETA's legislative efforts call for outlawing having pets.

'Rat

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

How are milk an eggs (as the majority are produced) not exploiting and abusing cows and hens?

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I hate PETA. I had catfish on Monday night and I'm having Tilapia tomorrow night.

PETA could start calling them "sea children" for all I care... I'll still eat it.

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This is no way to shape your ethics.

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

.... Cat Sea Kittens.

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Michael Pollan's Botany of Desire is a good look at how plants have come to depend on humans for their advancement.

One of the most interesting points he makes is that marijuana hybridization has advanced more since the "War on Drugs" than in the last two centuries.

I think the same could be said for cows and chickens. although I agree with you that the average feedlot cow or battery chicken leads a pretty miserable life.

11. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The difference between plants and animals is intelligence and the ability to perceive pain and suffer. I completely agree that some animals and plants have become absolutely dependent on us to live, but that by no means diminishes our ethical responsibility to ensure that they are treated humanely (this includes their slaughter). We should always be striving to treat animals (including other humans) more humanely. One of the best ways is to eat less of them (closer to our proper RDIs in western countries) and to not consider them such a flippant food source.

13. Desertrat macrumors newbie

.Andy, if your job is to keep McDonald's and Safeway supplied with a reliable amount in a timely manner, how else ya gonna do it? Same for KFC and Church's, as well.

Me, I prefer yard eggs, but that means having a large yard in a place where the law allows chickens. Then you have the fun of rats, snakes, owls and weasels. "Competition" comes in many forms.

Ugg, you reckon a chicken is aware of his misery? Heck, the only difference between a chicken-factory chicken and a couch potato is that the chicken doesn't get to watch TV. :D:D:D

'Rat

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I don't see how the suffering and exploitation of animals can be justified based on the punctuality of deliveries to fast food restaurants :confused:.

I used to keep my own chickens as well. I used to live and work on a dairy farm. Snakes only ever snagged a few chicks, owls were no problem because we had a roost for our chickens, rats only ate the occasional egg, and we don't have weasels. On the scale of things this small amount of suffering is far, far, far, less than the assured suffering of battery cages or overcrowded barns with cut-off beaks.

Yes. They most definitely can perceive pain and fear. This is fact.

15. Desertrat macrumors newbie

.Andy, don't focus on Mickey D's and KFC as fast food joints; think of them as a few among many sources of food for many tens millions of people. If it will help, forget fast food and think of the myriad grocery stores. What I'm saying is that our society isn't gonna go without its eggs and its chicken--and there's no way to meet the demand with yard eggs.

There might be some possible way, but folks will come unspooled at eggs for ten bucks a dozen, or fried chicken costing as much as a Ruth's Chris steak.

16. No1451 macrumors 6502

My parents raised chickens for a long time, and let me tell you, they know a lot about misery WITHOUT human intervention.

When we had them, the bigger dominant chickens ALWAYS selected 2-3 of our collection to brutalize. I'm talking pecking them till they BLEED, we had one we had to put down because there was internal bleeding from the wounds they gave it, they clawed and pecked it until it was getting sores and infections from the wounds.

Fact of the matter is, animals will create their own misery if they to take care of themselves. We of course can still strive to make sure we don't cage animals up so they can't move, but I am never going to stop eating meat, eggs or milk, no matter what some PETA animal loving nutjobs say.

In fact, thats the reason that until recently(I moved into a city) my family raised our own chickens for eggs/meat. Ethical treatment is a far cry from what some of these associations seem to want though.

17. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

ahhh come on guys! Cat Sea kittens is a funny thing to call catfish. I'll probably call them that from now on... in fact...

Star sea kittens, rat sea kittens, turkey sea kittens, lion sea kittens.

Those are all gem names!

18. remmy macrumors 6502a

I don't like fish much, sea kittens sounds so much more appetising.

Peta seems to cause more problems than they solve by being so extreme in message that they are either ignore or give a poorer image to other animal rights groups as well as making the whole idea seem like some hippie thing rather than just humane practise.

19. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

See again, PETA isn't thinking it through.

They think that by calling fish "Sea Kittens" it'll make fish far less appetising...?

That's just underestimating how much I hate cats.

20. remmy macrumors 6502a

Sorry to but in again, but I originally thought this thread was going to be about strange animal shaped foods like dinosaur shaped nuggets (that may contain chicken or something that may of been part of a chicken)

Does PETA ever think these things through?

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Peta you nutters!

Did anyone see their recent Cooking Mama game? T'was hilarious. Apparently when you cracked chicken eggs blood pours out :D

22. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

NOMNOMNOM :D

23. Queso macrumors G4

PETA shouldn't bother. One day soon nobody will be eating fish, as we'll have bottom trawled everything out of the seas anyway.

Humans won't stop until we've only got each other to eat.

Discarded toenail and hair hors d'oeuvre anyone? :)

24. johnmartin78 macrumors regular

johnmartin78

In northern Canada it's quite popular for fisherman to use actual kittens for fish bait.......just thought I'd throw that out there.

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Our society currently gets many of it's goods and services for far less than the actual cost to society. All we pay is for the direct manufacturing and transportation costs. So what if pollution causes some number of dollars in health care costs? Who cares if it costs as much money to dispose of a product as it cost to make the product in the first place?

Think of it this way: Society has been getting a hell of a good deal on their goods and services, but at some point the sale price will end, and we'll need to pay the piper.

If the actual cost of eggs are $10/dozen, why should we keep costs artificially low? Why shouldn't purchasers and producers be responsible for the life-cycle costs of the products they use and create?

The fact that they don't is yet another giant tax on the rest of us who are forced to deal with the aftermath.