Today isn't a Good Day to be in Gaza

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Southern Dad, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

When are the Palestinians going to figure it out? The Palestinians launch some very inaccurate rockets. A lot of rockets. They kill a few and knock a couple holes in buildings. Israel then retaliates with far more accurate weapons killing Palestinians and making a pile of rubble out of a few buildings.

Then another day comes... The Palestinians start all over again.

2. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

You really think Hamas is made up of 100% of the civilian population?

Hint: They don't, Hamas is a fringe militant group.

3. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Hint: Nowhere did I say that Hamas did make up 100% of the population. Read what I write, rather than just look for an argument.

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

It's not a good day for any of them. In fact, they both need to knock it off. It is no longer a laughing matter or a 'he said/she said/he did/she did' matter when they end up killing 4 boys and girls, all under age 10 (with some under 5), and all that they say is "sorry... uhh.. well, we did drop flyers down telling you to get out of the area!"

Both Israel (Netanyahu in particular), as well as every part of Hamas needs to be taken to the ICC and taken to task, big time.

Call me a 'bleeding heart', but my nonchalant ends when innocent children get killed.

BL.

5. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Israel is going to invade Gaza and there is nothing that the Palestinians can do about it. You have to admit, putting out flyers telling people you are going to bomb them is sure a lot more warning that most people get before an attack. Personally, I don't care which one of them blows which one off the map. But I can't believe that they don't figure out they aren't going to win.

6. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

I just feel bad for the victims, both on the Palestinian and Israli side. Both the Hamas and Israel must come to a cease-fire immediately.

7. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Deja Vu memories of the Irish killing the Irish. :(

8. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Israel offered a cease fire. Hamas fired rockets in response. Not the smartest move they could have made.

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Oh, I agree this is going to happen, and yes, it is at least good to give them warning. But you have to admit, they really have no-where to go. Egypt barely has the border open at Sinai, and they are in enough political strife as is on their own to be able to handle potential refugees.

It's check-mate on both sides; no matter how much either side throws at this, neither side will win. So at this point, it is better to end the conflict with their brains instead of their guns.

This, wholeheartedly.

----------

Israel didn't offer a ceasefire; Egypt did, which was rejected. Hamas also offered a ceasefire as well, based on 10 conditions. Israel rejected that as well.

No smart moves by either side.

BL.

10. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Please. Hamas decided to put forth demands or conditions? Right, that's funny. Israel has far superior weapons. Gaza is going to be a mess. To bad the Palestinians aren't able to understand the odds are not in their favor. I just hope our fearless Commander In Chief doesn't decide to drag us into it.

11. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

That is my point, you never mentioned as Hamas being the problem, you just accused the entire country of attacks.

And yes, they should stop fighting, and just give up, it is hopeless.

Things aren't always hopeless. The Vietnam defeated the American military when everyone said they never would.

But this isn't the same thing.

I mean, the leadership of Israel and all the HAMAS leaders need to be charged with war crimes, thats for sure.

12. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Well, with that kinda mindset.

America should have surrendered in 1812? You know, when the Brits/Canadians annihilated half of America's military, burned the capital?

13. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I'm so indifferent as to what happens in this region at this point. It would be difficult to care less.

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

15. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Lets be honest,

There is Israel, where not all, but lots of the population, not just the military and high ranking goverment, wants every man, women, child either out of Gaza and the west bank forever, or killed at any cost. I think this, because a " no war with Gaza/West Bank " movement does not exist in Israel, I mean this people brought out lawn chairs to watch airstrikes on HAMAS and Civvie targets, many of these strikes targeted infrastructure vital to the average citizen.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/15/w...s-drop-on-gaza-from-front-row-seats.html?_r=0

[​IMG]

Pretty clear.

The in Gaza and the west bank, you have normal people who want peace. But Fringe groups like HAMAS ruin it all. Its a shame

I support cutting of all aid to Israel, and if the ME gangs up on it and takes them out.

They started it.

I know, sounds cold. But its the truth.

16. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Funny, you don't hear much about anti-Hamas "no war with Israel" Palestinians either. I have pretty much zero compassion for them as well. They choose to store their weapons right in the center of civilian housing. I don't believe Hamas is as much of a "fringe" as some would like me to believe. I think they're full of sh**. And the above photo really doesn't have any effect on my opinion. It's just flame bait.

----------

Oh, did they? So it's not true that most of the Middle East wants nothing more than the destruction of Israel? Please. Don't make the rest of the Middle East out to be peace loving angels. They're not. Israel needs to chill, but when so many countries want them destroyed, it's hard to blame them for their actions. Again, I'm pretty neutral on this. But I'm also realistic and don't have a blind support for Israel, nor do I have an undying compassion for the Palestinians.

17. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I'm no expert or have much inside knowledge besides what people from that region have personal told me. Being that said .... I believe most Palestinians don't favor Hamas, but also most don't favor Israel due to oppression from them. So how can you really expect Palestinians to be against the enemy of their enemy?

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You don't get it. It isn't about who put forth the cease fire offer. Both sides are at fault for not taking the chance to end the conflict without bloodshed. And you don't honestly think that Israel would or hadn't put conditions into their offer, do you? If so, there is a bit of naivety with that thinking.

Both sides are at fault here, which is why I said that both sides need their arses hauled to the ICC at The Hague and have their arses handed to them for war crimes.

BL.

19. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I don't. And If they are not against the enemy of their enemy, then a prudent person would infer that they mostly support Hamas. That being the case, they shouldn't act all shocked and victim like when Israel starts firing at them. It's a messy situation but it's a far stretch of the mind to place all the blame on Israel, as much as Hamas would love everyone to.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Israel could just ignore Hamas. They are basically like an annoying fly compared to Israel's military.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How's that border wall working for Israel?

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

In terms of civilian deaths - extremely well. I doubt I need to take my shoes and socks off to count the Israeli casualties from Palestinean attacks over the past 5 years.

The damage is more to Israel's reputation. 250 Palestinean deaths vs one Israeli death hardly shows Israel is responding proportionally.

23. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Never in the history of man has any nation been expected to "just ignore them" when being fired at. Why this radical new expectation for Israel? Wonder how you would feel if "annoying flies" were firing poorly aimed weapons into your country, and see if you would "just ignore them". Quite honestly, what an idiotic suggestion. Just ignore them, right. :rolleyes:
    Sounds like the ramblings of a poorly misguided grade school teacher. Ignoring doesn't stop bullies, and just because a bully may be smaller than you, doesn't mean you can't still kick their ass just because you're bigger and stronger than them.

24. Don't panic, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014

Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

it hasn't been a good day in Gaza for quite some time.
    both sides have responsibilities (and the US as well), and the genesis of this is very complex, so it is not so simple to assign blame, but what Israel are doing right now is just a massacre, and they seem to have been pushing for the option to tighten the screw.

here is an article from NYT that might interest some of you