Today's dose of weird... Jabs for Jesus

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mkrishnan, Feb 2, 2010.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/02/us/02fight.html?hp

I don't know. On the one hand, there's something oddly unsettling about this, but on the other hand, given that these people are probably going to be beating someone up, I'm quite pleased that it's each other, and they're off the streets. :p

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

What

the

****?

At least Jews for Jesus makes some sort of sense...

3. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

If they are NEVER on the streets, it's okay. But how do people like that turn this on and off in their heads? :eek:

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I don't understand the concept.

Seems to me they are in complete contradiction.

5. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

^ Heh, yeah. Next ones will be 'Bank Robbers for Jesus' or 'Corporate Corruption for Jesus'. :p

6. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm not sure they can turn it off. :p

I guess, loosely, there's a continuum -- few would say one can't be a Christian (or religious) athlete. Many people consider boxing a sport, even if consider prize-fighting barbaric (because they won't use helmets). I guess, a few more steps, and you're at... this. :eek:

But if this is playing up the masculine to get men interested in church, this would be the equivalent of turning the sermon into a Cosmo column to appeal to women. :rolleyes:

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I wouldn't put it past them to take that line to get bodies through the turnstiles,in fact they may well have done it already I don't follow the machinations of the Christian church industry very closely.It's a bit unfortunate if they are aiming to get men into church that they seem to think men are essentially ignorant violent thugs, but I suppose that's not their worst delusion.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The people who are most susceptible to being recruited into a church are the Atavists. This is merely an appeal to their dominant primal nature, and once firmly entrenched, they can be formed into effective soldiers for Jesus. Comparable, in its way, to al Qaeda recruiting practices, I would imagine.

There is such a broad spectrum of Christian theology that "Christian", as a noun or adjective, has no real meaning.

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

This doesn't seem messed up to me at all.

I took tae kwon do lessons at a church for a few years. We prayed at the beginning and end of each day's lessons, as well as before sparring matches.

These guys are learning a fighting style. They're not trying to kill each other. There actions aren't out of hatred for each other.

12. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

At least they are learning something useful.

I am talking about the martial arts part. ;)