Today's 'Racist Email From a TN state Republican Staffer'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by clevin, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

This is not the first image like this I've seen.

Yes, it's racist. Yes, it was a bad idea for a political staffer to have sent it.

But it's also a joke. I can understand finding it offensive, or even unfunny. But it's a freakin' joke.

Example #21490 of why people need to grow a thicker skin.

2. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

a joke? a joke about what?

I dont deny its a joke to her, or him.

but a joke about what?

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

There are those who look at the very thing that some find so offensive and see the humor in it. Either you see it or you don't.

Besides, there's nothing worse than having to explain a joke. :)

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Jokes are supposed to contain wit and humor. All this does is illustrate an insult of Obama as a spook. It contains no humor, just a mark of racial hatred.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Really? I'd like to see an explanation of how.

You see, so many people were so jubilant at having elected a black President, and now that someone has used a comical depiction of that very element which makes him unique among our Presidents, now everyone wants to cry foul. Yes, it's off-color (pun not intended) and sure to be offensive to some. But I stand by my comment regarding this - and many other - jokes which people seem to think "go too far," that being that we need to develop thicker skins.

As I recall, not too many people seemed to care about Dave Letterman's joke about Willow - oh, nevermind, he meant Bristol - Palin last week. But this really isn't all that different in that it's going to be offensive to some, but it's just a joke.

Again, I still think it was a bad idea, but it is still a joke, regardless of whether you see the humor in it.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

While the joke was not the most politically correct. I think people are blowing up way bigger than it needs to be. It was not a joke air on public television and clearly not a joke meant to be shown on the mass media.

I expect people here to make a huge deal out of it. I think the Letterman joke was blown up bigger than it should of been but compared to this one I think the Letterman one was by far worse because it his was meant to be put on national television.

7. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

You're joking . . . right?

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If she has any honor, she should fall on the sword and resign; otherwise, the official for whom she works should fire her. I think that needs to happen, and this should receive plenty of publicity. Beyond that, meh, change takes time, but people like this individual need to be exposed.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Then maybe Letterman should resign if he has any sense of honor.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I have no objection to that... I dislike Letterman as much as Palin, though, so I'm pretty disinterested. :p Having him not be on tv would be an improvement to the lineup, as far as I'm concerned....

However, I would note that this person is an assistant to an elected official... rule #1 of such a position is that one does not embarrass one's elected official via any action, whether taken officially or not. Personally, if I were racist and did hate Obama for being President because he's black, I would think I'd still fire her.

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I don't know that you're necessarily implying this, but one neither needs to hate Obama nor be a racist to recognize that the pic in the email was clearly intended as a joke. But yes, someone who works for a political staffer should know better and act accordingly.

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It makes no clever or insightful remark on Obama's race being different. It is not a caricature of him.

It's not simply a "which one is not like the other" joke, but uses deliberately racist imagery to insult Obama.

David Letterman made a joke about Palin's daughter getting knocked up because she had a particularly well known history of teenage pregnancy and it continues to play off the ironic angle that Palin supports abstinence-only education when it clearly failed her daughter.

This picture simply makes a statement that Obama is a "spook". The only way it's funny is for its shock value. It would fit in where irreverence and consciously overdone insults are used more to comment on racists than on the targets of the work. It's clear that was not the intention of this staffer.

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

No, but then that wouldn't be much of a joke, would it? More like an essay, or magazine article?

I might have thought that joke was in good taste if the joke were about Sarah and not Willow Bristol. But my argument applies here, too - get a thicker skin. It's a joke, for Pete's sake.

Okay, if the only humor you see is in its shock value, fine. You don't speak for everyone, I'm sure. And you're free not to laugh at it - I didn't, either.

14. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Tell me, why is it funny?

15. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

So just to sum up here so far, it's OK to crack jokes about the Palins because they're the sort who gives white trash a bad name, but it's not OK to poke fun at Obama because he's half black. Got it.

16. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Why is Obama being half black funny? What's the joke?

17. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I can't tell if you're genuinely devoid of humor, a raging Obama defender, or you're picking a fight, so here you go:

For one day only, just for you, I'll make an exception.

The picture is exaggerating (hyperbole) Obama's race to draw attention to the contrast between him, as a black man, and the other Presidents. It's similar to a caricature artist exaggerating unusual or unique features of a subject. Its very purpose is to make something appear more obvious than it really is by exaggerating it.

I'll grant you that in this instance it's not politically correct, but there it is. If you don't think it's funny, my feelings aren't hurt; like I said, I didn't laugh at it either. If you still don't recognize the intended joke, it's no sweat off my back, either.

But it's also not the first pic I've seen on the 'net that plays into the same theme - it's kinda old at this point.

18. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Sounds like you're a stiffly stifferson. I don't like stiffly stiffersons.

19. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

Because his skin is black! Get it? So he blends in with the dark! See? Isn't that hilarious? So you can only see his eyes!

20. 103734 Guest

There is a place and time for jokes and I don't think emails from politicians and political parties is one of those places.

I have never got a email from any democrats showing Palin holding a dead deer, or McCain riding a T-Rex.

I would have no problem if lettermen, or a comedy show had this on, I think its pretty funny actually. But this wasn't a comedy newsletter she emailed it in, it was a political newsletter.

21. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

You clearly do not understand that the image of Obama in this picture is a traditionally racist caricature.

Here's a similar theme that manages to point out the "one of these is not like the other" humor without being racist:
    Combo_Barack2_--_CORRECTED.jpg

22. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Sounds like you're contributing nothing to the debate beyond ad hominem stupidity.

Thanks for playing though.

23. mac88 macrumors 6502

Stop complaining about it. It's ok not to be so politically correct around here. Stop taking up the "good fight" and lighten up. You may not like it, but someone else might find the humor in it. Because of this we are now calling for the individual to be fired or resign? What the hell is wrong with this place. You all talk about having the freedom of expression and self judgement, but quickly call for someone's head when it does not meet your criteria of social acceptance. Grow some thicker skin, have your mommy change your diapers and stop trying to portray your wonderful skill of higher caring and emotion.

24. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

You definitely can't handle jokes. I'm sorry, but that skit is not stupid... it's pretty dang funny to me.

I agree with some of the others who think this isn't a big deal. Since day one, everyone has been going crazy because Obama is black. If the president was a Texan (kind of like Bush was), people make fun of them being red neck. This was a joke. Get over it! People that take every little comment like it's the end of the world annoy me.