Toll price of express lane in Washington D.C. spikes to $46

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, May 14, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

http://www.foxla.com/facebook-insta...Wju0co-nU6TmiEq5PeJSDjxyn-Fpv1vLxfN4zUFzbU9LA
    our taxes paid for the roads, WHY should we have a toll road that our taxes paid for? if that lane was open the commute would be shorter so the GOVT is creating the problem they are charging you for.

non faux news link here

2. Solver macrumors 6502a

Always check who is exempt from paying those tolls.

3. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

9 miles? That is completely ridiculous.

As far as tolls, welcome to the future. In the parts of Texas I frequent in a car, virtually every new major highway is a toll road. I’m not an expert on this, but my impression is that the transit authority uses tolls to pay for these highways, so how much of your taxes were used to pay upfront is unknown. You are paying a user fee (toll) to use and pay for the road. Who or what else these tolls go to, or if the tax payers come out ahead, I have no idea.

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

our gas taxes pay for the roads........

5. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I believe tolls besides a source of revenue for the State, that they can categorize as not a tax, help pay for the toll super highways, but I could be wrong. Remember there are other roads that are not toll roads that require maintenance.

6. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

"the toll prices go up and down based on how many people are using the I-66 Express Lanes, and it has kept traffic down and moving"

This sounds like it is designed for the rich to be able to use the freeway free of congestion by cutting out all the poor and middle class who can't afford a $46 toll.

The elites need to get to their dinner parties on time, so the plebs will just have to stay out of their way and find alternate routes.

7. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I-66 inside the Beltway has been HOV only during rush hour for years. They have actually expanded potential use by permitting non-HOV use with tolls (HOV users can still ride toll free). The one change I have a problem with is that the eliminated the free non-HOV use to get to Dulles Airport.

The toll is variable, based on congestion and it is typically much lower. Another major commuter route in Northern Virginia (the George Washington Parkway) has been closed all week due to a sink hole and I would bet that that’s why tolls spiked this morning.

8. jerwin macrumors 68020

public buses?

9. rhett7660 macrumors G5

rhett7660

Boy we are seeing more and more of these in Southern California, which you have probably seen already. And I agree, where is the money we are paying into to keep our roads up to date... oh and the new gas tax on top of the tax we are already paying to keep our roads etc up... ugh.

10. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Trump gave $200B more to the military. This is why we can't have nice things and have to battle over scraps.

11. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I believe in the DC area, HOV means 3+ people in the car. In the Houston area, it's 2+.

They're trying to cut down on the traffic in the area. If you've sat through DC rush hour traffic you might find the told acceptable. That nine mile stretch might be a 3 hour drive during rush hour. They priced it at what the market will bear.

12. jerwin macrumors 68020

Trump can use the military as his little slush fund to build his wall, etc.

13. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I'm surprised he hasn't yet.

Our military destroys infrastructure in other countries by bombing it and destroys it domestically by taking the budget.

14. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Amazing how much good just one percent of that can do domestically. But there's no one to profit, so....

15. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

This exactly. The only way to make roads efficient is to do away with all HOV and tolls, then increase the tax on earnings more than $1m to 90%. People with obscene incomes should be hammered by tax.

16. appleisking macrumors 6502a

If you don’t want to have an economy then yeah sure go ahead and do that

17. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I'm torn on toll roads, but also mad at some dumbasses that kept us from getting a completed 4-lane.

So US 35 runs near my house and is the road we use to go Columbus and Indy. This road was a 2-lane country road until Toyota built a new engine/transmission factory in Buffalo. That got us a 4-lane version from their plant to I-64. It was great. Then a few years later they found some money to build out the north end where is crosses into Ohio.

This left the middle 15 mile section as still 2-lane. Well some politicians came up with the idea to make that section a toll road to finance the construction of it. Was fine with that. But the ignorant dumbasses that live along the old 2-lane protested the tolls. Said they couldn't afford them etc. So the pols caved and gave up on the project.

Now here is what I don't understand of those who protested. Your old 2-lane road wasn't going away. It was still going to run right in front of your trailer so you don't have to pay the toll if you don't want to. But every death on that 2-lane section is on you!

They did finally get the money and the 4-lane will open this fall or maybe winter depending on if it ever stops raining.

18. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Really?

I think you'll find that by far most of the actual work that is done in the USA (and other countries too) is done by people making considerably less than $1 million per year.

Most physicians make less than that. Very few engineers, or scientists, welders, schoolteachers, police , military officers, nurses, garbage collectors, etc. make anything like $1 million per year.

Granted, it would cut pretty deeply into the earnings of Major League baseball players and movie stars. But somehow, I think they'll still be able to get people to come out and do those jobs too. Even if they end up paying a lot in taxes.

And you'd still find talented managers vying to be the next CEO of Apple or GM. You might, possibly, end up with better results. Because US economic GDP growth was much higher when top tax rates were north of 70%. Corporations found it a better deal to invest in their factories than playing games to boost the stock price (and the CEOs pay packet.)

Would it cut into the number of new companies started in this country? Maybe. But probably not nearly as much as you think.

19. Herdfan macrumors 6502

At 90%, what incentive do they have to earn much over that $1M?

20. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

My family lives near the DC beltway and also I-66. The local communities there have faced considerable disruption for years so that these express lanes can be put in, but nobody local can afford to use them. So who does? Rich bastards living in 'hunt country' to the west of DC. One way for the rich, another for the rest of us, with liberty and justice for all. :rolleyes:

21. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Nobody needs $1m per year so the point is moot. What's more important is that taxing at high levels is for the greater good of Americans. That's the incentive.

22. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I think that many traffic problems would go away if they eliminated the carpool lane.

23. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Setting aside your contention that nobody needs to make $1M per year, let's look at someone who makes $2M per year. The first $1M is taxes at 40%, so the government gets $400K. And currently the 2nd $1M is also taxed at 40%, so another $400K for a total of $800K to the government.

But if you want to tax the 2nd $1M at 90%, then what incentive does anyone have to work more to earn that 2nd $1M. They don't, so they will stop at $1M and the government will only get $400K instead of $800K.

Win for the government.

So while not all would behave this way, history has shown when tax rates get too high, tax collections go down.

24. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I'm in favor of all people paying taxes including the half of tax payers who currently pay none or even make money from taxes.

If the government wants welfare for some people, they should create programs other than the income tax. Everyone should feel the pain of paying income taxes.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I’m sure you can take public transport to work if you don’t like the tolls...