Tom DeLay: People keep forgetting that God ‘wrote the Constitution’

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Really do these idiots actually read the constitution or even know why people came to America in the first place? very doubtful.
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/02/20/tom-delay-people-keep-forgetting-that-god-wrote-the-constitution/
Former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-TX) this week warned Americans to remember that God “wrote the Constitution” based on the Bible.

During an appearance on John Hagee Ministries’ Global Evangelism Television (GETV) network on Wednesday, host Matt Hagee asked the Texas Republican where the country had gone wrong.

“I think we got off the track when we allowed our government to become a secular government,” DeLay explained. “When we stopped realizing that God created this nation, that he wrote the Constitution, that it’s based on biblical principles.”

“Governments like we have are very easy to destroy,” Hagee later noted.

DeLay recalled that he had closed the Capitol rotunda for three hours as Majority Leader so that members of the House and Senate could get “on our knees seeking the face of God and praying.”

“And I really feel now, Pastor Matt, the Lord has heard us, I see the Holy Spirit moving. And I pray every day for an awakening in this country,” he said, adding that people should get involved.

“Join a group, a tea party or whatever.”

Watch the video below from GETV, broadcast Feb. 20, 2014.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
I have no words....... :eek:

Wait..... Yes I do. How about, from now on, ANYONE running for office has to take a comprehensive written examination to gauge their knowledge of the constitution. If they fail, they cannot run for office.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Sometimes I wonder if it's all a big joke, and they're looking to see how many people they can foil into believing them. It's like a religious version of Jackass.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
“I think we got off the track when we allowed our government to become a secular government,” DeLay explained. “When we stopped realizing that God created this nation, that he wrote the Constitution, that it’s based on biblical principles.”
He's either very calculating and slimy along the lines of Newt (based on his audience) or he is a complete ignorant, revisonist idiot regarding one of the basic tenants for the founding of the U.S., freedom of religion and freedom from oppression.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion"
-John Adams, Treaty of Tripoli

"That our civil rights have no dependence on our religious opinions any more than our opinions in physics or geometry"
-Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"
1st Amendment to the US Constitution

Wonder what Tom DeLay has to say about those.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Sometimes I wonder if it's all a big joke, and they're looking to see how many people they can foil into believing them. It's like a religious version of Jackass.

Speaking of religious jackasses, Michelle Bachmann is running around these days telling people that Obama was only re-elected because of white guilt.

These people know exactly what they're doing.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
they're looking to see how many people they can foil into believing them.
Thought that was the definition of politics. Just update a bit for the new era:

politics: 'seeing how many people you can foil into believing in you'

In this case, if God takes credit for creating the nation, then God's followers get to control it. A political version of dominion over the creatures.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
This is the same Tom DeLay that championed sweatshops on the American territory of the Marianas Islands...including sex slavery and forced abortions...and stalled legislation that would've put a stop to it.

Excuse me, but Tom DeLay is such a hypocritical a******. He and God don't even have a nodding acquaintance. :mad:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
He has been out-done in terms or crazy.

The Lord is a warrior and in Revelation 19 is says when he comes back, he's coming back as what? A warrior. A might warrior leading a mighty army, riding a white horse with a blood-stained white robe ... I believe that blood on that robe is the blood of his enemies 'cause he's coming back as a warrior carrying a sword.

And I believe now - I've checked this out - I believe that sword he'll be carrying when he comes back is an AR-15.

Now I want you to think about this: where did the Second Amendment come from? ... From the Founding Fathers, it's in the Constitution. Well, yeah, I know that. But where did the whole concept come from? It came from Jesus when he said to his disciples 'now, if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.'

I know, everybody says that was a metaphor. IT WAS NOT A METAPHOR! He was saying in building my kingdom, you're going to have to fight at times. You won't build my kingdom with a sword, but you're going to have to defend yourself. And that was the beginning of the Second Amendment, that's where the whole thing came from. I can't prove that historically and David [Barton] will counsel me when this is over, but I know that's where it came from.

And the sword today is an AR-15, so if you don't have one, go get one. You're supposed to have one. It's biblical.
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/boykin-when-jesus-comes-back-hell-be-carrying-ar-15-assault-rifle

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
He has been out-done in terms or crazy.

The Lord is a warrior and in Revelation 19 is says when he comes back, he's coming back as what? A warrior. A might warrior leading a mighty army, riding a white horse with a blood-stained white robe ... I believe that blood on that robe is the blood of his enemies 'cause he's coming back as a warrior carrying a sword.

And I believe now - I've checked this out - I believe that sword he'll be carrying when he comes back is an AR-15....
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/boykin-when-jesus-comes-back-hell-be-carrying-ar-15-assault-rifle
When Jesus comes marching home again,
Hurrahh! Hurrah!
We'll give him a hearty welcome then,
Hurrah! Hurrah!
The men will cheer and the boys will shout,
The ladies they will all turn out,
And we'll all feel gay when Jesus comes marching home.

Uh-oh. I wonder how the right-wingers will feel about that last part...

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
-John Adams, Treaty of Tripoli

-Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom

1st Amendment to the US Constitution

Wonder what Tom DeLay has to say about those.

I use the First Amendment all the time against the true believers and I always get a reply along the lines of, "See, that means this IS a Christian nation. You can freely choose to believe in Christianity and the one true God."

I then ask about being free FROM religion and religious indoctrination and get an answer of, "You can choose to be religious but you cannot be free from religion because everyone believes in something, even atheists."

Where do the Tom DeLay's of the world get these sort of answers?

satcomer

macrumors 603
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
It was people like DeLay that made me give up the Republican Party! The Baptists are running the Republican Party. The "Religious Right" is just a code word for bigots.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
It was people like DeLay that made me give up the Republican Party! The Baptists are running the Republican Party. The "Religious Right" is just a code word for bigots.
The strange part is, that Baptists at the time the Bill of Rights was written were suspicious of the Constitution, and, were fully supportive of the First Amendment separation of church and state. At the time, the Constitution was seen as being about governance.

The first time I ever heard a religious group considering that the Constitution being divinely inspired was with respect to the Mormons. But, that is a religious belief of Mormons, not history.

More recently, this idea has been picked up by certain folks on the far right who are willfully falsifying the history for their own political purposes. I would be surprised if this falsified history is supported by any mainline Baptist church.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
No, that would be me.

Please explain.

I'm not a Bible scholar but every link I can find online appears to explain that this quote from Jesus telling his disciples to sell their cloaks and buy swords is not literally what he intended, one example. Of course this is the Bible which has been interpreted in a variety of ways and the suedo-theists like to pull things out of context while they ignore others.

Thought the slimy little git had gone to jail. <---- God wrote that, not me.
His conviction was overturned by some judges in Texas. They subverted the outcome of a jury trial.

According to Delay:
"It's really happy day for me, and I just thank the Lord for carrying me through all of this and it really drove my detractors crazy because I had the joy of Jesus in me and they didn't understand it."
This kind of rhetoric coming from the sleaze of the earth, I hope is upsetting the hell out of the almighty. ;)

Last edited:

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
No, that would be me.
Please explain.
Well, I think I'm funny anyway. :eek:

NAME
sudo - execute a command as another user

SYNOPSIS
sudo -h | -K | -k | -L | -V

sudo -v [-AknS] [-g group name|#gid] [-p prompt] [-u username|#uid]

( 'etc' )

DESCRIPTION
sudo allows a permitted user to execute a command as the superuser or another user, as specified in the sudoers file. The real and effective uid and gid are set to match those of the target user as specified in the passwd file and the group vector is initialized based on the group file (unless the -P option was specified). If the invoking user is root or if the target user is the same as the invoking user, no password is required. Otherwise, sudo requires that users authenticate themselves with a password by default.
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man8/sudo.8.html

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
“When we stopped realizing that God created this nation, that he wrote the Constitution, that it’s based on biblical principles.”
OMG! :eek:

BURN the $ DOLLAR BILL! It is sinful to own unless the face of GOD is on the front!!

America is idolizing the wrong entity, the commandment says not to worship false idols!