Tom DeLay's money laundering conviction is overturned

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LizKat, Sep 19, 2013.

1. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

2. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Honestly, I can't tell if the initial conviction was an overzealous partisan attack by DeLay's political enemies, or if the acquittal was a bunch of good-ol-boys looking out for their own.

3. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Acquitted due to "lack of evidence" in his money laundering? What incompetent prosecutor couldn't find enough evidence on arguable THE most corrupt politician in Texas history.

Folks in Houston want to know whose to blame for years of no mass transit system? Here's your man, Tom "I am the federal government" Delay.

4. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The ruling reads rather oddly. First, it was not a crime, because the money was not tainted. Then they say that conspiring to violate election code was not a crime at the time. So he could not be guilty of conspiring to commit a non-crime. Why would they put that in there, it makes the ruling look questionable.

But it is an acquittal, there is nowhere to go from here, the double-jeopardy clause will protect Delay from ever having to revisit this question.

5. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

6. samiwas macrumors 65816

For now.... This kind of thing usually gains a lot of supporters. I mean, it is Texas after all.

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Mark my words, he'll try to rear is ugly Dancing With The Stars head... :(