Tom Hanks explains why Trump Shouldn't Be President

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Oct 13, 2016.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...e-simple-analogy_us_57fe668ee4b0162c04393b17?

“He was at work, man. He wasn’t in a locker room. He was at work. He was showing up to do a thing on camera,” Hanks told the Press Association during an interview for his new movie. “Look... I’m offended as a man. I’m not offended as a husband or a father. I’m offended as a guy.”

The actor, clearly growing more and more agitated, added, “That’s just not right, I’m sorry. It’s not right at work, it’s not right in the locker room. It’s wrong, period. The end. That’s all.”

In the end, the actor stated the choice for president is about voting for the person who will do the best job for the country. Hanks used a simple analogy to make that choice even clearer, while calling out Trump’s near-total lack of political experience.

“It’s kind of like if you have a horrible, painful tooth, and you need a root canal. Who are you going to see? A guy who says, ‘Oh, I think I can figure that out, how to do a root canal for you. Lay down,’” Hanks said. “Or are you going to see somebody who’s done 6,000 of them. Has a degree on the wall and has a great history and expertise when it comes down to it.”

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

That says it all right there. It is wrong anywhere. The locker room excuse just doesn't fly.

3. zin macrumors 6502

Tom's analogy would work very well if he didn't leave out some important information. The guy who's done 6,000 of the root canals also catastrophically failed every single one of them; promised glistening pearly whites and instead destroyed every tooth; worked with the media to print lies about how good his root canals are; and also managed to arm terrorists that behead children in the process.

4. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

His analogy works just fine. Please source your statement that Hillary has failed everything she has had her hand in since you seem to have implied that in a few threads. Note - you said in other thread that she's failed everything - right? or did I misread you?

5. zin macrumors 6502

It's a figure of speech used to illustrate that everything she touches turns to rubble.

6. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Leftist supporting leftists....Water is wet to you folks that didn't know that.

7. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

So you admit to hyperbole. Ok.

8. tshrimp, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2016

tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

He said "locker room banter". That is a statement meaning "things you would say as if you were in a locker room", and not that it actually took place in one. And yes, he was stupid to say it...just like some of the people I have worked with before.

Also, some people in this thread made fun of the Republicans for having Scott Baio, and now are supporting Tom Hanks comments. Not directed at you MTS :).

Edit: I can tell you why Trump shouldn't be president...because he is a despicable human being. I can also tell you why HRC shouldn't be president....because she is an even more despicable human being.

9. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I made fun of Baio - because he's not relevant today and because FOX turned to him to talk about Trump's taxes which seemed like an odd choice. Hanks talking about the Trump video is far more relevant. Hanks also has a current career.

10. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Thanks samcraig...I rest my case :)

11. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

What's to rest. Do you think Baio is an appropriate surrogate to talk about Trump's taxes?

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

If it was fox business that had him on as an "expert". I mean what other reason would a "business report" have someone on their show ? If that were the case I'd stop listening to fox business.

Unless you want to lose money.

13. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

How is he not relevant today? Oh, only because of "career" - in the most fleeting, sexist, racist industry of them all - Hollywood motion picture making?! That's blaming a match for struggling to remain lit in a F5 tornado that constantly changes its path. Hanks is an exception, not the rule. And he looked great in his first role on TV that must have angered a lot of people...

14. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Ultimately - Scott Baio has no insight into Trumps taxes. If Tom Hanks was on Fox talking about Hillary's emails - I would have the same reaction - it's not relevant.

If Scott Baio was asked about Trump's video - I would say it's relevant. Very much so - because he's in the entertainment industry and it's something any person could have a comment on.

What could Scott Baio add to the conversation about Trump's taxes?

15. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

It was obvious from the context it was hyperbole.

16. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

That's your defense? LOL. Did you think that I thought he meant a literal locker room? I didn't.

I think we are making fun that Trump has a washed up child actor out there for him, while Hillary has people like Tom Hanks and George Clooney for her. Also Tom and George aren't being interviewed as tax experts on Fox. :p
    --- Post Merged, Oct 13, 2016 ---
    I've got some bad news for you. The majority of Americans....on either side of the aisle with their candidate, do not agree with you.

17. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Really? Then i guess things changed.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/na...-polls-show/EbfvovCydDByv3oIu5gGmJ/story.html

"Never in modern presidential politics has a party’s chosen candidate been so unpopular as Hillary Clinton — except for Donald Trump, who has generally gotten even worse marks in the polls."

http://www.people-press.org/2016/07/07/2016-campaign-strong-interest-widespread-dissatisfaction/

"...choice of candidates is at its lowest point in two decades."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/15/us/politics/hillary-clinton-donald-trump-poll.html?_r=0

"Poll Finds Voters in Both Parties Unhappy With Their Candidates"

http://www.npr.org/2016/07/12/48527...inton-so-why-arent-third-parties-doing-better

"Americans Really Dislike Trump, Clinton. So Why Aren't Third Parties Doing Better?"

18. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Anyone notice John Travolta is real quiet?

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't believe the people you worked with boasted about sexual assault.

20. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I notice how Susan Sarandon is no longer being interviewed. You can't keep the media from interviewing her in the past, but now that she has spoken out about Clinton, she is now where to be found.

Why the heck do we care what a Hollywood person thinks about these candidates. They have no more expertise than anyone else, and many have not lived a real life in the first place, so know very little about the common person.

21. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Sarandon wanted Bernie, some of his supporters know what loyalty means.

22. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

The same could be said about candidates who think they know the struggles of the common person.

23. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

You missed the point and your own comment that I was replying to: That Trump and Hillary are too despicable to be President. One of them will actually be president. One of them actually will get the majority of the votes. If everyone stayed home and no one voted you would have a point. But that is not going to happen. I am not even sure the electorate numbers will be depressed since most seem to be viewing this election as some sort of epic battle for the Supreme Court among other issues.

24. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

**** I laugh every time either one of these idiots claim to know what middle america is all about. You have one who is worth billions vs. the other worth 100's of millions.

25. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

There's a season for everything. This is not a great season for sulking in silence or third party votes. I can see casting a vote for McMullin if you live in Utah.... see threads on election ending up in house etc.

Otherwise to have voted for Sanders earlier and now to end up risking a Trump presidency just because your guy came 2nd in the primaries... stupendously stubbornly self destructively stupid. Unless you just like to tilt at windmills and think Trump would be good at that too. I'd remind Sarandon we'd almost certainly end up with Pence in the Oval Office if Donald Trump actually won the race. How long before he'd be impeached or flip out?