Tom Perkins new voting plan to make Plutocracy official

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Feb 17, 2014.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

While his idea is certainly a bad one (in my opinion), I'm not sure it's all that far-fetched. Wasn't there once a time that only landowners were allowed to vote?

3. LizKat, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014

LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

^^ yes of course, and women were once chattel so could not vote either...

But... Perkins is late to the game. Plutocracy was made offical on the day SCOTUS handed down the Citizens United decision.

4. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Looking forward to the day when I can sell my vote on eBay to the highest bidder.

5. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I think this is a great idea since the rich don't pay their fair share of taxes or any at all it could make things for the middle class really work well.

6. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

I was going to post about Tom Perkins weeks ago when he was whining about how the 1% were "under attack" while they have the game rigged in their favor.

Here are a couple of snippets of that interview and if you listen to him, you can hear how hard it is for him to hold back those tears because the wealthiest among us have it so hard.

7. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Slightly off topic, but, when people like Tom Perkins complain about job killing regulations, what exactly are they talking about? Like, what regulations are stopping a new Tom Perkins funded startup from hiring as many people as they want?

8. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

"Job killing regulations" is code for "taxes", "laws prohibiting employers from treating their employees like slaves", "minimum wage", "safety standards", and "complying with environmental regulations".

It's these very sort of things that stifle "job creation". :rolleyes:

Seriously though, when you list these things out, they are things that benefit the employee of a company and the public as a whole. The real question should be, why would any person who belongs in the 99%, and would more than likely benefit from these "job killing regulations", freely vote away their own interest and give it all alway to the Tom Perkins's of the world?

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If you think Tom Perkins is bad, check out these guys.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/02/i-crashed-a-wall-street-secret-society.html

10. Andeavor macrumors 6502

If the rich want the majority vote they should have the obligation to provide jobs and a market in the country they pay those taxes to.

11. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

It's suicidal, actually. It's a sure fire way to get the peasants 90% to rise up and forcefully redistribute resources. It happened a lot in European history, which explains why there are only a handful of the nobility left. With the current system, at least us 90 percenters have the illusion that our vote matters. The unwashed masses aren't ready to learn their lives and votes don't amount to a hill of beans.

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

If you could but wait a decade or two (depending on the breaks), before this facade collapses, I would appreciate it.

Thanks. :D

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well thats just selfish John ;)

:p

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I'm on a 'mission from god', as he seems to be busy right now, so the longer I can hang-in the happier I will be. ;)

15. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Sunglasses? Full tank of gas? etc.

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Always. No 8-track though, disturbs the passengers.

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I understand Congress works something along these lines.