Tom Price Gets a Laugh at Trump's Expense

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Jan 27, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/24/pric...mp-lied-about-obamacare-replacement-work.html

"President Trump said that he's working with you on a replacement plan for the ACA, which is nearly finished and will be revealed after your confirmation. Is that true?" asked Sen. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio.

Price, a medical doctor and congressman from Georgia, said, "It's true that he said that, yes."

Price's dodge was met by laughter in the hearing room, including by his own wife, who was sitting behind him.

"Not that he's ever done this before, but did the president lie?" Brown continued. Did the president lie about this, that he's not working with you on this?" Brown continued. "He said he's working with you. ... Did he lie to the public about working with you?"

Price didn't budge. "I've had conversations with the president about health care, yes," Price said.

Brown later said, "I'm still not sure if the president lied, not to you, but to us, the public, about whether he's actually working with you."

"It sounds like he did," Brown said.

2. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Sherrod Brown is an idiot and honestly they ask some of the dumbest questions when interviewing people on these panels.

3. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

You can think whatever you want. Fact is - Tom Price made it pretty clear that there's no plan right now. Which makes Trump's comments questionable. And I'm being kind.

4. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

So a politician lied to get elected?

Shocking!

5. pdqgp, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017

pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

waiting for someone to prove there's no plan. IMO there are lots of plans and ideas and I also believe they have been talked about but no, Trump isn't going to have in his hands the one single final plan. why would he. he hasn't got a full staff in place to consult with. Paul Ryan and others have been looking at this for years and no of course they weren't going to put forth anything while Obamafail was in office.

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Can't ever prove a negative. Can only prove a positive. The burden is always on whoever is making the positive assertion. The burden is on Trump to prove there is a plan, not on the media to prove there isn't one.

7. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Agree, but if he's not ready to share the plan or ideas, because again, he doesn't have a full staff, then why would the Media jump to the conclusion that there is no plan? Sounds pretty typical of the media BS we've been seeing for years. The media is just pissed because they can't force his agenda and control him like they had hoped. They need to wake up and realize that he controls the plan and roll out not them.

8. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Reading comprehension. If there was an actual plan - Tom would have answered appropriately. He's under oath, no? He wasn't asked WHAT the plan was. Instead he dodged the question so he wouldn't perjure himself.

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

10. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Trump said the replacement plan "is nearly finished and will be revealed after [Price's] confirmation." So he said it's "nearly finished" and the reveal is imminent. It's logical to then begin asking specifics about something that is nearly finished and which will be revealed very soon.

Why did Trump say the plan was "nearly finished"? Why didn't he just say, I'm talking with Price and we don't have a full staff yet but we're discussing some good ideas." Why did he lie and say it's "nearly finished" when it obviously isn't?

11. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

irrelevant to this.

12. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

He was asked if Trump worked with him on a H.C. Plan and he answered that he has talked with Trump about Healthcare. Sounds to me like Sherrod needs to clarify with Trump what he meant be working with Tom Price before he attempts to call him out as a liar. Looks like he was also satisfied with the answer Tom gave him.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 27, 2017 ---
    feel free to ask away but that doesn't mean he is required to share.

again, sounds like people need to clarify a few things before they spout off someone is lying.

13. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

What does "nearly finished" mean to you?

14. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I think you're spinning.

"President Trump said that he's working with you on a replacement plan for the ACA, which is nearly finished and will be revealed after your confirmation. Is that true?" asked Sen. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio.

Price, a medical doctor and congressman from Georgia, said, "It's true that he said that, yes."

He didn't say IT was true. He said it's true that Trump said that.

Believe what you want. Price isn't a dummy. He used his words very carefully.

15. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

It's a classic tactic taught by many lawyers. Parse the question, think about it, then answer only the exact question asked. Parse: subject is Trump, verb is 'said'. the rest doesn't matter. Think: Did Trump say that? Sure, he says a lot of crazy stuff. So I can answer yes comfortably without being wrong. Answer: Yes, he said that.

16. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I know exactly what he said and why, but Brown clearly didn't pry much further nor did he ask the right questions to get what he was looking for. Thus why he's an idiot. He should have gone to law school.

17. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Or maybe he got exactly what he was looking for. Are you Brown?

18. pdqgp, Jan 27, 2017

pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

We need to replace him if what he was looking for was a smart alack answer that skirted what he was clearly really driving at which was to clarify is Trump a liar. He got punked twice and accepted it. LOL. Tom is interviewing for a job and there to share his qualifications, not there to speak about Trump or somehow help Sherrod Brown figure out how to do his job when dealing with a statement Trump made.

19. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I simply don't agree. YOU might not have received the information YOU are most interested in. And that's fine. But dismissing the fact that Price was pretty clear in an effort to not perjure himself that what Trump said and what has happened are not in alignment.

20. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Did Trump work with Tom Price on the healthcare plan? Tom said he has discussed healthcare with Trump and left that open to Sherrod Brown and others to interpret however they want. It does him no favors to do anything else as it's more probable he's going to get in no matter what and really the only way he won't is if he steps on himself. Thus, the name of the game is don't step on yourself which is what he avoided and played the game well.

The whole process with him is nothing more than a gotcha game given the system in place today and who is voting. For Sherrod Brown to expect him to someone purposely step on himself is dumb. Gotta ask better questions if you hope to achieve that.

21. MadeTheSwitch, Jan 27, 2017

MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yeah, how awful to determine if the President is lying. But hey, if you think the questions are so bad and inept, start your campaign for office and get your butt to D.C. so you can be the one asking & answering questions.

22. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Oh sorry - you think I am arguing in any way that he shouldn't be confirmed or anything about Tom Price? You're not paying attention then. I posted because I thought this was a funny exchange. And that it shows again how Trump creates his own reality.

You've been focusing on the wrong thing. And again - it was an amusing exchange.

23. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I think if they want to know if Trump is lying then they are asking the wrong Person the questions. In terms of office, you couldn't pay me enough to tolerate working with all those numb-nuts.

24. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Thankfully Trump is creating reality vs the BS lala land of days past.

25. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Oh... Trump is creating a reality alright. An alternate one. Sorry - but Trump is a ton of smoke, mirrors and lies. That's not to say he's not doing anything. But when he opens his mouth up - you can expect very little that is based on facts.