Tom Price (HHS secretary) often uses super expensive charter jet flights

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Sep 20, 2017.

1. PracticalMac, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Tom Price (HHS secretary) often uses super expensive charter jet flights.

It is reported that Price has recently used at least 5 privately chartered jet flights to the tune of at least $20,000 each (some reportedly $60,000)
    http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/19/tom-price-chartered-planes-flights-242908

This does not include yet to be divulged flights earlier in his tenure as secretary.

At least one flight could have been done faster if he drove (when one accounts for time to get to airport, transfer to aircraft, aircraft taxi to runway, the 30 min flight, taxi to ramp, unload, drive to destination), by car estimated about 2 hours.

[​IMG]

Trump and team love to jet around.

In contrast, Obama's administration was very critical on charter jets.

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

There's an extra added part to this story though that should be pointed out. Previously Price condemned such use of aircraft this way. But when the shoe is on the other foot, it magically becomes okay for them to use. Funny how that works.

https://thinkprogress.org/tom-price-private-jet-21ac9beb1715/

(Note to OP, it's TOM Price, not Tim as your title reflects as of this posting .)

3. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Price being a hypocrite, no doubt, however I don't want the man in charge of the public health stuck in a traffic jam next time there is an emboli outbreak.

The realities of being the powerful head of an essential government agencies may lead many politicians to take to this sort of backtracking on things they may have said.

4. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I don't either but fed gov has lot's of helicopters

5. cube macrumors P6

6. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Is "emboli" the plural for embolism?

I'd rather the people at the CDC not be stuck in traffic. They are the ones who respond, not a mindless paper-pusher like Price.

7. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

I'm not in charge of the Federal budget, does the Sec HHS have a helicopter budgeted to him by Congress?

Do you think Congress is made up of a bunch of wise mathmagicians doing what is best for our bottom line, of course not, it is made up of a bunch of politicians trying to steer federal money from you pocket to the pockets of the people they favor, and the Sec HHS is a high level bureaucrat, drunk with his own sense of power, that doesn't give a damn about saving your money, because of his own feeling of self importance.

So, tell me how this is different than it ever was?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 21, 2017 ---
    It's a damned poor mind indeed, which can't think of at least two ways to spell any word.:p

I think you under estimate the role of the CDC and greater HHS in prevention of all sorts of outbreaks.

8. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I hope we never have to find out.

9. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Corrected, thanks
    Confused with Tim, VP candidate.

10. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Could be a good mission for USCG since they fall under DHS moving senior staff around the east coast it's give additional security and cost less and I do believe there is a CG base in the DC area.

11. MadeTheSwitch, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017

MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

In event of an emergency a helicopter could be sent to him. There is no need for this man to be spending that much money on a puddle jump trip from D.C. to Philadelphia for instance. If it is a long distance trip I don't mind as much. But for shorter ones? I take issue with that.

Problem with a lot of the Trump admin is they want to live lavish lives of the rich and famous. Look at Steve Mnuchin and all his ridiculous travel expense requests.

12. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Its not the long distance, its the locations.
    Some large areas of USA are not served by commercial at all, or to get to a served location requires multiple transfers.
    But yeah, some of those locations could easily be done commercial.

13. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

D'oh! Seems like an investigation is inevitable and the WH isn't willing to provide any cover.

Also, there seems to be doubts about his own reasons for the flights...

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/22/tom-price-charter-jet-flights-243040

14. Zenithal macrumors G3

15. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

"Anti-establishment" conservatives will defend him spending more on one flight than what 99% of Americans make on average in one year.

This is their base. It's not a problem, he needs that $300,000 flight. He'll miss McDonald's breakfast item before 10am. (McDonald's having breakfast all-day is a Chinese hoax).

16. samiwas macrumors 68000

Do we really have big health-related outbreaks that are discovered and require governmental response within minutes? Is that really a reason to spend vast sums on such travel?

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Penny Pinchers sure come out when their candidate isn't in office eh?

This guy should take the ****ing bus.

18. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

He doesn't have to take a bus, but he doesn't have to take a $30,000 flight either. A car or train for a three hour trip is sufficient. And I like I said earlier, I'm okay with charter flights for long distances, but if it is a plane ride so short that you don't even have time to watch a Disney animated movie (which are short), then no.

19. 0007776 Suspended

Someone is paying for those flights and probably expecting something in return, I'd rather have government officials travel on the taxpayers dime than risk corruption in exchange for nicer travel.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2017 ---
    Where is his charter jet flying that there is no commercial service within a reasonable distance?

20. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

The problem with that logic is that it doesn't fairly apply...

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...m-price-hhs-private-charter-flights-explained

That may depend on your definition of what is 'within a reasonable distance'.

Your definition may differ greatly from Mr. Price.

21. Zenithal macrumors G3

22. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

These articles making it all sound really damning, however they are incomplete reporting at best, and a political hit piece at worst. They don't answer some key questions.

Does the Sec HHS travel alone?

Does anyone really expect the Sec HHS to fly coach?

What were the travel expenses of the former Sec HHS under Obama, at this point in her term?

23. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

a) none of these flights happened during an emoji outbreak;)

b) if such an outbreak happens I'd want the political head of an agency to stick in his office making sure that those who can actually help get where they are needed ASAP.

24. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Are we sure of that?!!? :eek:

IMG_5161.JPG