Tom Steyer, Billionaire Impeachment Activist, Won’t Run Against Trump

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
Good to know, IMO this guy is just as annoying as Trump. Spending millions on ads to impeach is not the way to unseat Trump, getting active and running a candidate people can get behind is. Save the impeachment talk until there's a just reason for it.

Tom Steyer, the California billionaire who has crusaded for President Trump’s impeachment, said on Wednesday that he would not join the pack of Democrats running for president in 2020 and would instead redouble his efforts to topple Mr. Trump before the election.

Mr. Steyer’s decision came as a surprise even to some of his political confidants. He had made deliberate preparations in recent months to seek the White House, running television ads in the early primary states, recruiting potential staff members and even designating a campaign manager for a possible run.

niji

Contributor
Feb 9, 2003
tokyo
good man. in part for deciding not to run.

tom, pls fund a run by any of the tickets mentioned here:

1 biden / beto

2 warren / holder

3 biden / michelle o

4 bernie / oprah

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Don't forget Biden/Buttigreg.

All the rumored DNC tickets are awful.

Not to sound sexist, because I'm not, but I sincerely doubt I'll ever witness a female President in my lifetime that's naturally elected. Or in the case of the Biden/Buttigreg, the latter poses an issue with some parts of America which are crucial.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Don't forget Biden/Buttigreg.

All the rumored DNC tickets are awful.

Not to sound sexist, because I'm not, but I sincerely doubt I'll ever witness a female President in my lifetime that's naturally elected. Or in the case of the Biden/Buttigreg, the latter poses an issue with some parts of America which are crucial.
Hilary only lost by half a percentage point and she was a very flawed candidate.

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Hilary only lost by half a percentage point and she was a very flawed candidate.
Hillary was also loved by many on the left and some on the right because those on the right were disgusted by Trump and still are. Hillary also had a track record of getting things done, even it meant pissing people off. I don't think Biden is bad, but I do believe he's too old for a run. I'm not ageist, but it's time to see another young person take the helm. A decision Presidents make affect future generations. Biden may live until he's 90, but at that point anything thereafter won't affect him much. Maybe his great grandchildren, sure. And I'll have to spell it out, but if the last ticket I brought up based on swirling rumors is any true, I sincerely doubt 40% of America would even go for that ticket, and if by some miracle those two are picked by the DNC, I foresee a landslide defeat in key midwest and southern states.

Reactions: Eraserhead

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Hillary was also loved by many on the left and some on the right because those on the right were disgusted by Trump and still are. Hillary also had a track record of getting things done, even it meant pissing people off. I don't think Biden is bad, but I do believe he's too old for a run. I'm not ageist, but it's time to see another young person take the helm. A decision Presidents make affect future generations. Biden may live until he's 90, but at that point anything thereafter won't affect him much. Maybe his great grandchildren, sure. And I'll have to spell it out, but if the last ticket I brought up based on swirling rumors is any true, I sincerely doubt 40% of America would even go for that ticket, and if by some miracle those two are picked by the DNC, I foresee a landslide defeat in key midwest and southern states.
Amy Klobuchar should run. She won re-election to the Senate 60-35 in Minnesota for a third term, and did well in the rural counties. She'd bury Trump anytime in a debate, since she actually knows a fact from a hole in the ground. Plus looking at Klobuchar's committee assignments she knows where a lot of screw-ups have occurred in the past two years thanks to Trump's loyalty-first attitude towards agency management, especially in agencies where he just wanted to deregulate industry and defang any oversight.

https://www.klobuchar.senate.gov/public/committee-assignments

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Amy Klobuchar should run. She won re-election to the Senate 60-35 in Minnesota for a third term, and did well in the rural counties. She'd bury Trump anytime in a debate, since she actually knows a fact from a hole in the ground. Plus looking at Klobuchar's committee assignments she knows where a lot of screw-ups have occurred in the past two years thanks to Trump's loyalty-first attitude towards agency management, especially in agencies where he just wanted to deregulate industry and defang any oversight.

https://www.klobuchar.senate.gov/public/committee-assignments
That's not a bad theory. I've read rumblings about her, but at 2024/2028. Who knows really. I have no idea who started Biden/Buttigreg. I don't believe either individuals knows the other personally or otherwise. The latter has done well, but like I said, I'd wager 30-40% of America would be against it.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Klobucher one of the more vocal opponents the last two years? I usually don't pay attention to politicians outside my state.