Tommy Robinson Jailed for "Breach of the Peace"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, May 26, 2018.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

U.K. right-wing activist and journalist Tommy Robinson was arrested and reportedly jailed Friday after he filmed members of an alleged child grooming gang entering a court for trial -- but the details of his purported sentence remain murky after the judge ordered the press not to report on the case.

Robinson, the former head of the English Defense League and a longtime activist against Islam and Islamic migration, was arrested after he was filming men accused of being part of a gang that groomed children. Britain has been rocked by a series of child sex scandals perpetuated by gangs of predominantly Muslim men.

Video shows Robinson, whose real name is Stephen Lennon, being surrounded by as many as seven police officers as he livestreamed the incident on his phone. The police informed him he was being arrested for “breach of the peace.”

The judge in the case on Friday slapped a reporting ban on the case. The order bans reporters from reporting on a case if there is reason to believe the reporting could prejudice a trial. The order prevents reporting until the conclusion of the trial Robinson was reporting on.

The gag order led to news outlets in the U.K. removing their reporting from their websites to comply with the order. Most remaining reporting in the U.K. comments on Robinson’s arrest, but not on his purported sentencing.

Sources with knowledge of Robinson’s case spoke on condition of anonymity in part because of fear they would be arrested for contempt. One told Fox that Robinson’s lawyer warned that, considering the presence of Muslim gang members in prison, a 13-month sentence was tantamount to a death sentence.

“Tommy’s lawyer said he will likely die in jail given his profile and previous credible threats, and the judge basically said he doesn’t care,” the source said. “He sentenced him to 13 months in prison.”

Reaction to Robinson’s sentencing from commentators and right-wing politicians was fierce, particularly as it is the latest in a series of commentators -- particularly those who are critical of Islam and mass Islamic migration into the U.K. -- being locked up by British authorities.
    focs noose

What's going on over there?

People are now protesting at 20 Downing Street.

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

3. 0007776 Suspended

I don’t know enough about this guy to have an opinion although from the little I've seen he doesn’t seem like a great person. That said it is just wrong for the government to put in a ban on reporting. That’s something you expected from a third world dictator not a western democracy.

4. Rum_Becker Suspended

Why? Because he tried to bring to attention the rape of thousands and thousands of teen and pre teen girls that the police did not want to investigate because the rapists were mostly Muslim? He might not be the greatest guy but at least he was not part of the government that turned their heads to hundreds of thousands of rape cases. Some of these little girls were raped hundreds of times.

5. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

So on one hand... it's terrifying that someone would be jailed for live-streaming an event. Double-so for media to then be ordered not to write about the story. That's "disappear people" level of overreach.

On the other hand... what the police are saying about withholding journalist stories until a verdict is reached, so as to not influence public opinion beforehand (the concept of innocent until proven guilty), there is definite logic behind that argument.

6. Rum_Becker Suspended

It's a judge only trial

7. 0007776 Suspended

Because he sounds like someone who likes to point the finger at Muslims, and imply that they are doing it because of their religion, while at the same time ignoring the same kinds of crimes done by other people. I might have the wrong impression since as I said I don’t know a lot about him, but that’s how the little bit I’ve seen about him comes across.

8. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Speaking more broadly, I don't like publicly posted mugshots, names of accused, "alleged killer _insert_name_" or anything else that ties someone to a crime before they've actually been convicted of it. Jury or no jury. I get the argument why these things are public (to avoid situations exactly like this post) but the flipside is, the lack of followup or mental acceptance of a not guilty or innocent verdict maintains someone's believed "guilt" far longer in life regardless.

9. Rum_Becker, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018

Rum_Becker Suspended

I agree, and the police turning the other way only enabled thousands more to be raped because the police did not want to look racist.
    --- Post Merged, May 26, 2018 ---
    I agree, but the info that he was reporting was already public though. He did not add anything to what was not already known as he was not allowed into the court. His crime was that he asked a question to one or 2 of the defendants.

The original reason for the gag order was not to protect the accused as this is not normally done in the UK, it was to protect the Muslim community so they don't look bad. They wanted to keep things quite just like the police who refused to investigate.

One other note, these men were already convicted, this was for the sentencing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotherham_child_sexual_exploitation_scandal#May_2018

10. 0007776 Suspended

I didnt realize that this guy was a member of the police. Is he, or are you just shifting the goal posts?

11. Rum_Becker Suspended

No clue what you are talking about.

12. 0007776 Suspended

Tommy Robinson, the person the OP was about...

13. Rum_Becker Suspended

Do you have a citation that he is or was a police officer, I have not heard of this before or are you making it up?

14. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Why would the police not want to investigate Muslims?

Do they have some sort of secret deal or something? Does the UK not prosecute Muslims as a general rule?

15. Rum_Becker Suspended

16. 0007776 Suspended

It was implied in this post of yours. Otherwise your post was totally off topic.

Anyway you appear to just be trolling so I’ll be done engaging with you here.

17. Rum_Becker Suspended

I'm agreeing with you that Tommy might not be the greatest guy, but his crimes in no way compare to the actions of the police who looked the other way to the rapes of thousands of little girls. Not sure why you think this if off topic considering this topic is about about these rapes and police arresting Tommy, and I fail to see where I called Tommy a police officer.

18. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

Err, these men were filmed as they were being marched into a court room, were they not? So I would say plenty of attention were on these men already.

Knowing how these "Robinson" type people usually work, the rape victims are merely tools to an end, which is to make muslims look bad. It's not OK to break the law just because some pedos are muslims. Meanwhile in the UK, there's been entirely non-muslim people like Jimmy Savile who preyed on children for decades, enabled by the people around him because he was famous. But nobody tries to make a BFD out of whatever religion or philosophies Savile believed in, because you know, he wasn't a muslim.

Xenophobia and bigotry is ****.

19. thewap macrumors 6502a

thewap

Outrageous banana republic court decision. There is no justification for the seemingly highly prejudiced actions of this judge.

20. the8thark, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 27, 2018

the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

Nothing right wing about it. This is about a whistleblower who the UK want to try and silence. It's not political, like the few media outlets still allowed to report on this want us to believe. This is a clear case of opprerssion of speech and making whistleblowers disappear.

Here's my take on it all

Tommy Robinson in the UK who helped to expose pedophile rings in the country. The government threw him in prison years ago for a time and he almost died there, due to attacks. A coupel of days ago he mentioned one of these pedophile trials outside the court. He didn't mention any of the details, just the fact the trial is happening.

What happened then is the judge of the trial watched from the window watched roughly 10 police arrect Tommy for breach of the piece. Since then he's been convicted for 13 months. Yes it took 2 days from charges to conviction and sentence. I don't know any case with a one plus year sentence happening in two days.

https://www.infowars.com/emergency-...ed-jailed-for-exposing-muslim-grooming-gangs/

Why am I linking Info Wars? Because the UK government issued a de-notice to most of the media outlets baning from from even mentioning that the trial is happening or anything surrounding it.
    http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...ns-arrest-rapidly-scrubbed-from-the-internet/

This is very scary indeed. The UK police and government destroying freedom of speech like this.

Here's the latest update on his injuries he's sustained in prison.
    Tommy Robinson [​IMG]
    @TRob1nsonNewEra
    LATEST UPDATE ON TOMMY ROBINSONS ASSAULT, SOME INMATES ARE STATING THAT HE HAS BEEN TAKEN TO AN A&E IN HULL, THIS IS NOT 100% CONFIRMED YET.

HOW EVER HE HAS FALLEN VICTIM TO A SERIOUS ASSAULT, I WILL UPDATE WITH ANY FURTHER DEVELOPEMENTS.

Here's an ex muslim preacher, risking his life to speak out about the truth of it all. This bloke has serious guts to speak out like he has. He's telling the truth about how the convicted pedophiles would be feeling now based on his intimate knowledge of Islam.

You are not taking this seriously. Shame on you. This is serious. A number of people in the UK are condining these crimes and making anyone who blows the whistle on this to disappear. This is very scary indeed. We all sould be seriously worried and scared that this is happening.

[edit] I have read other comments here and some of them attack Tommy Robinson. Attacking someone for exposing one of the worst crimes to humaniny? That's a very low act indeed. We should all be supporting him and fighting this tyranny to make sure it never happens again.

Some people wonder why certain injustices happen in the world. in part attacking the whistleblowers is to blame. Those with the guts to stand up and expose crime put their own life in danger at times. Attacking the sacricises they have made only shows to the world that you condone crime. When enough people condone crimes like this, they necome normal and a part of life.
    Enough is enough. We need to stand up for all whistleblowers. They all have a voice that deserves to be heard. Of cause what they say will be held ot account to see if it's actually the truth, but silencing them? That's wrong and also a very scary thing that it's happening now in the UK.

21. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Give him 10 years taking his past racism and violent breaches of the peace into account. Scumbag.

22. Rum_Becker Suspended

Sounds about right, and next time students block a right winger from speaking at a university, arrest them and put them in jail for life. Scumbag.
    --- Post Merged, May 27, 2018 ---
    Pretty much, everyone who disagrees with these people are Nazi's

--- Post Merged, May 27, 2018 ---
    Well, I never made that claim and that you misread what I wrote.. It appears that you can not read or you are the one trolling.

23. chagla, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 27, 2018

chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

more like crocodile tears. same guy would be opposed to a muslim woman wearing a burqa, or even against any muslim immigration to UK.

His intimate knowledge of Islam came about two years ago after HOme Office refused to renew his visa.
    https://www.facebook.com/bangla.bar...4212.428560047196575/1180584565327449/?type=3

https://twitter.com/majstar7/status/722751173481132033

The self proclaimed expert was pretty pro Islam prior to that. Go see his youtube channel, unless he deleted prior videos.

24. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I think the lack of attendance for the talk would be enough there and I very much doubt a British university would allow racist propaganda speeches on their campuses.

I get the impression many of you are not familiar with Tommy Robinson here and have bought into the victim card he is playing. He’s calmed down a lot in recent years and no longer organises groups of football hooligans to march into areas where Muslims live to cause riots. He now masks his bigotry by pretending to be a journalist.

25. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I figured as much, but what's with the reporting ban?