Tomorrow i will be returning my 4s because of the yellow screen tint.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lewys, Dec 27, 2011.

1. lewys macrumors 6502

lewys

I rang up the store today and told them about the yellow screen tint and asked if i could return it. The guy said yes and because i am still in my 14 day return policy i can get a brand new boxed one instead of a refurb but because they are still selling really fast i would have to try and order one online the night before at 9pm and if i can't get one i can swap it for a refurb. I tried tonight and got to put one in my basket but as soon as i logged in they went (same happened to my girlfriend as i also got her to try for me)

When i rang the store earlier and asked them about the refurb one the guy said that we do have ones that come in a black box behind the genius bar counter that are normally refurbished ones but because the iPhone 4s is still new they have not actually come from a previous customer and been refurbished. I asked hime where they brand new then and he said no he and he didn't know what they were.

Do any of you guys know what they are supposed to be?
    Also when i take it back and received one of the so called refurbished ones, what if the refurb also has a yellow tint? can i ask to look at another and another until i get one with a good screen?

Thanks.

2. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Replacement phones are either new or re-manufactured, but both come in a black, non-retail packaging. You will more than likely get a new-non-retail packaged phone as there hasn't been much time to refurb the 4S's and get them back to the store. Check the replacement before you leave. If it's yellow, tell him you need another. Be nice. Yellow tint is not normal.

3. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

You will get a used, refurbished phone.

Apples had thousands returned, they refurbish them & send them back to the stores in just one day. If you read the fine print you'll see it in writing. The only new phone you get is the first one.

Refurbs are fine, only you will know it's used.

4. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

They are not refurbs. Remanufactured is what they can be but a lot of them will still be new.

5. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Wrong. On day 2 after the 4S release they had time to refurb these and send them back sealed in the replacement packaging? :mad:

6. lewys thread starter macrumors 6502

lewys

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thanks guys, do you think they will have plenty refurbs or whatever they are there? Also should I take my old iPhone 4 in so they can see the difference?

7. ecwhite4S macrumors 6502

Compared to the iPhone 4, the 4S has a much yellower (warmer) hue, you're probably going to find that on most if not all 4S.

My 4S seemed yellow when I first turned it on, but after a week, it seems to have whitened out, unless my eyes adjusted.

It also depends on what level your brightness is at.

All I'm saying is that if you get a replacement, the screen very well may look identical to the one you have now.

8. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

You can take it, but compare the replacement 4s to the demo units. There are neutral, yellow and slightly blueish it seems with the screens. Yellow is hideous. Easy to spot.

9. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

If you are within your return period.
    Which is 30 days in the US for an iPhone.
    Bring your original box and all original accessories with you and you will receive a retail packaged exchange.
    There is no need for an appointment with the genius bar either any of the sales staff can exchange the iPhone. Anyone that tells you any different is completely wrong.

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

What he said^

If you bring everything in within the 30 days you can return it and get your money back so I guarantee that they will give you a brand new retail version to walk out the door with. If you back up on the cloud, your new phone will be restored before you get to your car!

11. lewys thread starter macrumors 6502

lewys

the only problem is its really hard to reserve one as the sell really fast as soon as i went on at 9pm they were all sold out straight away and they said if i dont preorder one they wont have one for me.

12. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

My in-box 4S was extremely warm, but both replacement models I've gotten have had much better displays.

13. donm527 macrumors member

the yellow tint is the glue they use in the screen assembly.

heard it before and could be the case... your phone came out factory fresh and the glue hasnt completely dried. run the phone for a while and it will fade to clear which is what it is designed to do.

if its a brand new phone and youre within your 14/15 day... give it a few days of usage and see.

14. samven582 macrumors 6502a

yellow tinted screens have nothing to do with glue :rolleyes:

15. donm527 macrumors member

16. samven582 macrumors 6502a

17. kramjam macrumors 6502

kramjam

Had a 4S for a month and my screen was a lot more yellow than my 4. Also vibration became defective so I went back to my 4.

18. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

If you've only had the phone for a few days, give it about a week and see if the screen is still yellowish. This has happened before with their iPhone's and I think the tint usually goes away after a week of use.

If not, get it replaced and hope for the best.

19. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Your math is wrong. It's no longer day 2.

20. donm527 macrumors member

even if it was a year ago, who cares? i imagine the process in creating the screen hasnt changed from iphone 4, 4s, or even the older ones like 3gs and from this article, the ipads too... Organofunctional Silane Z-6011. i'm just suggesting to wait a bit. for you to argue like it's impossible is funny.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/11/ipad-2-yellow-screen-tinting-likely-to-go-away-like-iphone-4/

21. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

Go into the store, do a full return and cancel your 2yr contract -
    Go to a different store, get a new phone, a new contract, and a new trial period -

It's absolutely ridiculous that after 18 months, we have an updated 4 with major battery issues and yellow screens -

22. samven582 macrumors 6502a

To suggest that glue is causing this problem is pretty funny

23. matttye macrumors 601

Why not just live with the yellow tint? Most screens have either a warm or cool feeling to them.

24. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

I exchanged mine for the yellow screen issue, too. I don't know if the return period is different in England, but in the US, it's 30 days. Unless you're at the end of your return period, I'd suggest trying several more times to reserve one at 9:00 pm. On the third evening that I attempted to reserve, I was successful, and I went to the Apple store the next day, and they did a return/exchange very quickly for me. They didn't have to reset my upgrade eligibility, either.

It was essential that I reserved one the night before because they wouldn't have had a new for me otherwise. I could have gone the genius bar route, but I didn't want to chance potentially getting a refurb: if need be, I'll go through the genius bar only after my return period has expired. Also, with the return/exchange, I had another 30 days to evaluate my replacement and return it if it had problems.

I compared my yellow screen iphone to every 4S demo that was on display, and all of the display models looked noticeably better than my original 4S. My replacement looks like the floor models, and I'm very happy with it.

25. salacious macrumors 6502a

has anyone had the yellow screen longer than a month? or has it just been returned for anohter?