Tomorrow is Independence Day...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dswoodley, Jul 3, 2007.

1. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

I hestitate to call the Fourth of July America's birthday because Federalism didn't emerge for another decade; however, I do want to wish America well on the anniversary of her independence.

Happy Anniversary USA! There are a few things that trouble me though...

How is it possible that we have a president who has but one notable skill - throwing a BBQ? That's a fine skill, mind you, I have been to more BBQs that have sucked than not. It's hardly a good credential for a president though.

How is it possible that I take a traffic ticket to court, I win, and it takes them 6-8 weeks to refund the traffic fee, but at the same time they can issue a warrant for my arrest for failing to pay a fee in less than 24 hours?

I could keep going, but I am more interested in what troubles everyone else about America. Not why you hate it, mind you. I can't understand anyone who would hate their country. The leaders - sure, hate them all you want - but does hating them really help in any way? I love my country. I would not want to live anywhere else. But there are a few things that trouble me...

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I also love this country, which is why I get so mad at the current admin. I mean, not defending the other side, or any others even in the middle. Haven't yet met a politician I actually like that I keep liking after getting to know them. But this administration has made things far worse. We've started down a slippery slope towards becoming what we claim to be against. All under the cover of patriotism and morality. If you love the country, if you've been paying attention, you should feel the same and not feel bad about it. Bush does not equal the U.S. Twain once said something about loving the country always, but the gov when they deserve it. Seems especially apt right now. If they'd stop sucking and screwing everything up, while criticizing us for questioning them, I'd stop hating them. This is why we fought for independence in the first place, and I'd rather not going back any time soon.

Personally, I'd like it if they really supported the troops and showed their morality rather than just talking about such things.

3. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I've pretty much lost all faith in this country. Apathetic Congress, and an apathetic population. Congress we can change, but when Americans care more about what Paris Hilton was wearing when she left jail, or how her time in prison was, there is no hope for us.

Nothing will change that until Americans finally stand up and say something to put an end to this madness.

It's unfortunate I'll be long dead before this country sees any significant change, probably buried in a real country somewhere in Europe.

Happy 4th though; it's a shame that the day no longer means what it did in our countries early time.

4. walangij macrumors 6502

I truly miss America right now, Happy 4th everyone, after travelling abroad for sometime, I have come to see myself as truly American. But besides that, I totally agree, something needs to change. We've become so apathetic as a country, we are full of BS and talk no action.

I love America because of the freedom of press, the freedom to do almost anything. The food, the people, the cities, the highways, the universities, the churches, I can go on, these things I miss b/c here in Asia it's totally different, I can't say somethings, I can eat somethings, ect.

I too am very unhappy at the our Democratic system right now, because frankly it is being exploited by capitalists. I think we can agree that in the struggle between Capitalism and Democracy, Democracy should always be on top b/c it favors the majority of people while the minority (capitalists/corps) should be protected. But these days the Capitalists/Major Corps. are running our democracy sadly and the majority of us are getting the short end of the stick and not doing anything about it. I love America, I support the troops 100% but these things going on in American Foreign Policy are totally wrong, we shouldn't be sending our young men to die. Its hard to believe that friends are over there and I may not see them again. The more I learn about our Founding Fathers and our Constitution and also about the Roman Empire/its downfall, the more disheartened I am when I read the news.

But anyways, I really wish I could have some good ole' 4th of July BBQ right now but I'm eating rice galore.

5. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

This is a day where we really need to reflect on the wisdom, bravery and devotion of our founding fathers.

The current administration has done all they can to divide us as a nation and to weaken our control over them.

We must not stand for this.

I challenge each and every one of you to take the time to write your representatives and make your voices heard.

We are better than this and we do have the power to change our course.

We hold these truths to be self evident

"That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

I can think of no better time for us to listen to what they were saying.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

wth is indipendance day>???< is it like the same as that movie??

7. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

I'm celebratin' already!!!!!!!! America is the greatest country ever founded. If we can keep it free and sovereign it will continue to attract the eyes of the world as an example of what free men can do.

I suggest everyone read the Declaration of Independence today, even if you aren't in America. It's kinda like going to church on Christmas. :p
    If this document inspires you to take the world by the horns I encourage you to read further, the Constitution of the United States. It is why the feudal age ended. If you don't like serfdom or slavery, protect the Constitution and hold it as supreme law over societal issues, and there won't be the confusion we have these days.

If you want to be free and keep the world out of tyranny, vote for Ron Paul. Otherwise you vote for the death of the reason we celebrate the 4th.
    Remember, the pretty fireworks symbolize the bombs and mortars and gun fire that it took to break away from taxes and tyranny. Don't let corporations, the military industrial complex and the media convince you that our government can't run without taxes. The Federal Reserve System is robbing us of our prosperity and property, just like Thomas Jefferson warned.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

1. thts debatable :p
    2. isnt taht illigal?? trying to change peoples oppions and stuff....:confused:

9. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

1. Shall I list the tyrannical laws of Australia here?

2. I hope people know how close we are to another wave of tyranny. Our version of "taxation without representation" is "investigate 9/11".

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

1. you can if you want, but dont waste your breath. our country has a lot of problems. the mayor one being our prime minister and how hes rapped around your presidents little finger. i hate that. we should be a free country.

2. i have no idea what that is but ok.

3. sshh we might get in trouble

11. walangij macrumors 6502

Have you watched the movie Why We Fight? I watched that this morning since I'm abroad. The Military-Industrial complex is really really :eek:. Don't get me wrong, I love the military and our fighting men, I plan on serving some time as a professional in the Dental Corps, but man Corporations, Halliburton, KBR, this war, something needs to happen to change things otherwise "WE ARE THE NEW ROME" (courtesy of Dick Cheney) and that means that we will follow their path to imperialism and eventual downfall if things don't change.

LOL!! If only it was like the movie and we were fighting aliens with fighter jets, then our problems would be easier than they are now.

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

1. haha i can see it now.
    oldman1 "i fought in vietnam as the submachine gunner for the 2nd squadron"
    oldman2 "i fought in iraq as their tactical sniper in 57th division"
    you "i was the dentist"

lol no offense its just a funny story. no doubt youll be getting more money than them!!!!!!! (jealous!!)

2.i love that movie.. doesnt really tell me much about indipendance day tho...i dont even kno how to spell it.

13. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

It's worse than you know. The "new" Why We Fight is a good flick. The original series of propaganda films are also awesome. Google all four.

Today would be a good day to find out about the people stealing our country.
    Also look up Fiat Empire, Money Masters, America- Freedom to Fascism, America- Destroyed by Design, The Corporation, Terrorstrom and keep learning about the dirty games they play with our lives.

Happy 4th!

14. walangij macrumors 6502

1.LOL, your story is probably going to be me in 10 years in my private practice.
    New customers come in b/c they hear I was in the military. Then the conversation happens, then they continue to say "That Dude is a wimp" lol. Our soldiers can't fight with toothaches haha.

2. The movie is basically what happened in 1776, except replace fighter jets with horses and aliens with the british lol. It's when the Declaration of Independence was adopted by the US, declaring independence from Britain.

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

1. hahahahahaha no toothaches can be really annoying while fighting.
    "FIRE LADS!!!!........(no shots heard)....WHY ARENT YOU FIRING!!!!!.....?????"
    "our teeth hurt captain"
    "****!"

2. LOLZ!!! thats all i can say... i think i understand now..history repeats itself.

16. walangij macrumors 6502

1. haha, that's totally what will be happening. But hey it's a great deal for dentists/professionals in school, you go on the governments bill, no loans, paid in full and you serve for 8 years, 4 active, 4 inactive reserve. Plus I serve my country which I love, but man I don't know about what's happening with America these days its sad, but I still love the ideals and hope and pray that it'll recover from this current state and also return to our Democratic America.

2. Haha, history does repeat itself lol, I was pissed when I went to Independence day and saw that it was aliens?! I was like, WHERE IS GEORGE WASHINGTON? The whole movie!!! until they kicked me out. haha, actually that'd been hilarious but I didn't.

17. Edandlindz28 macrumors regular

Happy Birthday USA!

Hope everyone has a great day. Drink one for me and if you watch the Today Show you could have seen me.

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

1. i have actually thought about serving my country, as an IT man :) im not much for REAL weapons, give me one that shoots water or lasers and im all game!!! it would probably be good pay. and ur in asia now?? thats gotta be good aswell, getting all their good techo stuff for cheap!!

2.i loved the movie, i think if george washington was in it i would have cried and turned the tv off *it didnt screen in aust*

3. are u sure ur not british??? your humor mirrors that of my british friend... HILARIOUS

im going to bed, ta for the chat
    hooroo

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Okay, so it's Independence Day...and for me, all the joy and pride have been sucked out of it.

This day is a celebration of a tremendous accomplishment made 231 years ago by men who sought to establish the most just, most humane nation on the face of the Earth. What they did can never be erased; nor can the debt millions of Americans owe to them.

All man-made establishments have their better and worse times, but the government instituted those two centuries ago by those men has never seen worse times than now.

No previous executive branch has claimed the dictatorial powers that this one has: it ignores Congressional legislation by way of the fiat, in this case "signing statements"; it cloaks its method of operation from the people and their elected representatives; it brazenly flouts international law by condoning torture; it coddles and protects traitors; it ignores its own citizens in need of emergency help; it lines its pockets and those of its buddies, caring not one whit about the average working American; and worst of all, it creates and sustains a war-for-profit, murderously sacrificing young American lives for its own profit.

Beyond that, the business forces in this country have made sure that, even though we still have free elections (for now), they will ultimately have much more influence over our government than you and I will.

Now: in the face of all that, tell me...how am I to celebrate this day?

These so-called "leaders" (you've never seen me use the words "President Bush", and you never will) have done extreme violence to the Constitution, the rule of law we hold most dear in this country. They have, for lack of a more tactful term, defecated all over the words of the Founding Fathers. They have done their level best to undo the Constitution...and succeeded to an alarming degree.

And so I don't really feel it in my heart to celebrate what America is. I do feel it in my heart to celebrate what America was created as, and that increasingly small part of it that is left.

And I do feel it in my heart to celebrate The American People. When they re-elected Bush, I swear, I was ready to leave this country. The results of that election had me believing that this country, this electorate, had become too plain stupid to understand what was going on anymore.

But look at the polls. Look at the 2006 election. They proved me wrong. And I've never been happier being proven wrong.

The American People still have their heads on straight. Sure, they were misled for a while. Sure, there are still plenty of Bible-banging morons. But the majority are showing again that they do have compassion, that they don't like being lied to, and that they'll elect the lesser of two evils -- but they really wish they had a third choice.

And so today, if I celebrate anything, I celebrate the American People, and our Founding Fathers...not the government we live under today. That kind of respect cannot be expected of me...it has to be earned.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Actually, today is Independence Day. Unless you're reading this tomorrow, in which case it was yesterday.

21. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

[MASH]Radar O'Reily, is that you?[/MASH]

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You are thinking of my brother. He's an only child.

23. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

We went to different schools, together.

24. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Thomas Veil speaks the truth!

I hope you publish your views on a few editorial pages.

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I love Independence Day. Definitely Will Smith's greatest artistic achievement to date. I cried when Randy Quaid gave up his life to defeat the alien spaceship. My eyes are tearing up just writing this. Happy Independence Day to all.