Tonight's speech: Obama's last chance to salvage his legacy?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Jan 10, 2017.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

It's rare for a President to give farewell speeches like this, and I doubt Obama would if Hillary had won. Obama's greatest fear is that in six-months he will be forgotten. It will be interesting to hear Obama's rationalizations, justifications, apologia, and finger-pointing for the lack of achievements in his largely inconsequential presidency and American's rejection of his successor.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

It's rare? I can't think of a President in the last 20 years that hasn't done a farewell speech. This is actually early. Most give it the 18th or 19th. Do you just make up stuff for the sake of it?

Obama has no fear of being forgotten. And he doesn't have to salvage anything. If you're expecting finger pointing - you're going to be disappointed.

You don't have to like him or his presidency - but this post is more worth of a fake news site then actual commentary.

3. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

I heard it on NPR this morning from none other than Ken Rudin. You're probably thinking of January SOTU speeches which are not farewell speeches. However, Obama is giving this speech from the urban warfare zone of Chicago. Can't wait to hear the excuses.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

I'll also add that his current approval rating sits around 55%. So this chart is valid.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...roval-ratings-compare-with-recent-presidents/

Trump is coming into office with an approval rating of... 37%
    (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-trump-barack-obama-quinnipiac-poll/96397974/)

Now who has something to prove?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2017 ---
    Um no again. Google is your friend. Google Bush, Clinton, etc and farewell speech. Then come back here and we can talk.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

polls from the same sources that claimed a Clinton win by a landslide are not valid :D

6. samcraig macrumors P6

Cute.

there are other sources... the point remains. The OPs assertions are just so off the chart wrong - starting with his first assertion.

It's like people don't even care about facts anymore. :)

7. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I don't think that it's a rare instance. I am sure that Nixon gave a farewell speech (*), and so did Reagan. I am pretty sure about Bush. I am not sure about Clinton, but I bet he gave a speech.

(*) Also listen to Nixon's farewell to the White House staff. One of the best speeches I've ever heard.

9. samcraig macrumors P6

so a like what - between 20-25 percent of past Presidents (yet almost 100% of recent Presidents) have done this

It's not rare. Rare would be if he and one or two others had done this (only).

Big stretch there.

10. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

10 out of 45 is 22%... I wouldn't call it rare.

11. samcraig macrumors P6

He did - look at the link Aaronvan provided. As if it was proving his statement. It does the exact opposite.
    By the way - stating his Presidency is inconsequential conflicts with your assertions here and elsewhere on the forum.

12. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Like I always say, if you can't trust NPR who can you trust?

13. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Yeah, and HRC was leading everywhere. Yep, we really believe these polls.

14. samcraig macrumors P6

So you admit you were wrong?

Maybe you didn't hear it correctly or in full context. I doubt they would have said something so patently false. I didn't even have to google it (at first) to know how off the chart your assertion was.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_approval_rating

Polls that have existed for years. Question it all you like. The point is - Obama isn't salvaging anything. And those that hate him already aren't going to be appeased no matter what. So again - there's nothing to salvage.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I only have one word for Obama's term - meh

16. hulugu, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017

hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I've gotta' just bookmark my own post so I don't have to repeat myself, but in the last national poll completed just before the election by Bloomberg, Hillary Clinton lead Donald Trump by 3 percentage points on a poll with a 3.5 percent margin of error. Which means while Hillary Clinton was up 44 to 41, the MOE meant that that the candidates were neck-and-neck.

Moreover, while FiveThirtyEight gave HRC a 75 percent chance to win, this means she also had a 1 out of 4 chance of losing.

The polls were about right, but many didn't understand the inherent uncertainty of public polling.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

I'd also be curious to see sample geo from the polls - wonder if that had inherent bias

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Most poll organizations try to work out geographical biases, but they're always present, which is why the MOE.

19. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

I heard it correctly. He also claimed that Ike was the last POTUS to give a farewell address. Clearly, he was being flexible in his definition of "farewell address."

20. samcraig macrumors P6

Flexible? No - he was being wrong. Why give him a pass?

21. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

One last chance to choke on the TelePrompTer. Maybe it'll be 60 States tonight.
    Well, you guys are claiming dumping ambassadors is rare, so...

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/is-this-a-real-agenda.2026775/

22. samcraig macrumors P6

23. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Way to abandon your comrades. :eek:

24. samcraig macrumors P6

Sorry Obama let you down tonight. His speech was fantastic and handled the teleprompter just fine.