Tonight's the night: BNP on Question Time

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England

Mr Griffin, aka, C***.

BBC to allow BNP on Question Time

British National Party leader Nick Griffin will be allowed to appear on Question Time, the BBC Trust has said.

The BBC's governing body had convened a meeting to consider complaints from Welsh Secretary Peter Hain and others about Mr Griffin's appearance.

The trust said it was "a question of editorial judgment" whether it was appropriate for the BNP to appear.

But Mr Hain insisted the BBC had "made one of the biggest mistakes in its proud history".

In an article for Thursday's Guardian newspaper, BBC director general Mark Thompson has said the case against inviting the BNP to appear on Question Time is "a case for censorship".
BBC.

Anti-BNP groups to protest at BBC

Protesters are expected to picket BBC Television Centre in London later ahead of the appearance of BNP leader Nick Griffin on Question Time.

Cabinet minister Peter Hain's appeal to the BBC Trust to stop Mr Griffin appearing was rejected on Wednesday.

The trust said it was a "question of editorial judgement" whether it was appropriate for the BNP to appear.

BBC head Mark Thompson said the case against having the BNP on Question Time is "a case for censorship".

Writing in Thursday's Guardian newspaper, Mr Thompson added only governments could decide which organisations should be banned from the airwaves.

The BBC Trust has asked Mr Thompson to ensure the pre-recorded programme was within BBC guidelines.

The decision to allow Mr Griffin, whose party won two seats in the European Parliament in elections in June, has prompted an outcry among anti-fascist protesters.
BBC.

So the pride shame of Britain gets some TV time tonight on the BBC's Question Time (BBC1 10:35-11:35pm).

Is this good, is this bad?

Although I think I'd rather he weren't there at all, I'm kind of looking forward to seeing what happens.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I think people will watch it just to get themselves all wound up and have something to bitch about. It's like the urge to rubberneck a car wreck.

arkitect

macrumors 603
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Here's the rub though…

Griffin, who has been practising his sales pitch since he addressed the Ku Klux Klan leadership in 2000, will be composed. He may be surprisingly popular because Question Time cannot just be about racism, antisemitism and links between rhetoric and violence. As a regular panellist put it: "Suppose there is a question on the transport system, and Griffin says 'congestion in our cities is a disgrace that needs to be tackled now', the other panellists can only nod in agreement. They cannot condemn him as a dangerous lunatic."
Link
And comes next year's general election — how many million under 25's are currently unemployed? There's the BNP's target.

I think people will watch it just to get themselves all wound up and have something to bitch about. It's like the urge to rubberneck a car wreck.
I don't know. These are dangerous times.
If they were just a loony joke party, but the time and the economic conditions are working in their favour… :(

And I don't like it one bit…

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
The problem is, if Griffin is barred from appearing they'll complain of censorship, and that the establishment is preventing them from airing the views of the British public and all that. It's one of their favourite complaints.

He's not going to go on there spouting the more extreme policies of his party, he's going to have an air of respectability about him and try to appear a decent, reasonable type who's simply trying to do what's right by the country – that's exactly how they've managed to gain support in recent years. The best thing the other panellists and the audience can do is remain calm and rational, and tackle him in a level debate. Ask very awkward questions of him, put him on the spot – and make sure any claims made about him and his party are backed up by fact.

It's been argued that this is just giving the BNP a platform, but it's equally an opportunity to show those who have been seduced by their more 'respectable' face exactly what they're all about.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Are they not political party, now with seats in the EU and doesn't the BBC have the legal obligation to be impartial.

I feel its right that the BNP are allowed to appear on Question time it would be unjust if they were stopped.

(Just for the record Im not racist at all, nor do I support the BNP, but I do believe they should be able to discuss their viewpoint on a national debate)

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Forgive my ignorance of British politics (I've only been living in the country for a short time), but why does everyone call the BNP racist? I've looked them up on Google but can't find anything concrete. Their own website makes them sound like they're trying to bring pride patriotism back to England, something I'm completely in favour of. Coming from the U.S. I'm appalled that people actually want to stop their leader from speaking just because they don't agree with what he stands for. If we try to put down those whose views are different than our own one day we may find ourselves on the side who is not allowed to be represented. I'd like to hear some facts about this party.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Forgive my ignorance of British politics (I've only been living in the country for a short time), but why does everyone call the BNP racist?
Two senior BNP figures have been secretly filmed barring non-whites from entering one of their meetings on the day the party was forced to admit black and Asian members.
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23759615-non-whites-barred-from-bnp-meeting.do

That said as long as they don't break the law by inciting racial hatred they should be allowed on Question Time.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Forgive my ignorance of British politics (I've only been living in the country for a short time), but why does everyone call the BNP racist?
It is a "Whites Only" party (though it's suddenly trying to pay lip service to other skin colours because of the threat of legal action) whose leader has been a Holocaust denier. It's "Britain for the (White) British" with a policy of "encouraging repatriation" of all those who, despite being citizens of or born in this country have the "wrong" skin. Where they are to be "repatriated" to is another question.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
According to their Wikipedia article, the BNP seems to have a lot in common with a particular party in the US, but the difference is they don't control almost half of Parliament (or whatever is the British equivalent of Congress). Says a lot about us, doesn't it?

Not to sound too British or anything, but they're a bunch of bloody wankers :p

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
I can't currently find a link to their constitution (the BNP appears to be operating under a temporary site) but this in an excerpt from it;
BNP constitution said:
The British National Party stands for the preservation of the national and ethnic character of the British people and is wholly opposed to any form of racial integration between British and non-European peoples. It is therefore committed to stemming and reversing the tide of non-white immigration and to restoring, by legal changes, negotiation and consent, the overwhelmingly white makeup of the British population that existed in Britain prior to 1948.
That's not patriotism. That's racism pure and simple.

Their own website makes them sound like they're trying to bring pride patriotism back to England, something I'm completely in favour of.
Yes they're desperately trying not to sound overtly racist. Groups like this try to dress up their racism as patriotism to legitimise themselves. Don't fall for it.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Thanks for the info everyone. I have nothing for or against them at this point, I just saw all the protesters on the news and thought I would try to find out the truth about this party.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
I welcome the BNP being invited to participate in a public forum. I hope that Mr. Griffin is well composed and is able to make his points in an effective and efficient manner. Every individual should have the right to find politics that they can identify with and join with like-minded individuals to compete for the right to govern.

At the end of the show, he should shoot himself in the face.

After spending the summer of 2003 working for the SNP, I found that one of their biggest obstacles to growth was people thinking they were the Scottish version of the BNP. Man, it made my life difficult (and funny - I do not fit the BNP profile).

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
Thanks for the info everyone. I have nothing for or against them at this point, I just saw all the protesters on the news and thought I would try to find out the truth about this party.
Well if there is any sort of denial of the Holocaust or dressing racism up through patriotism it seems easy to begin some opinion on the matter.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
According to their Wikipedia article, the BNP seems to have a lot in common with a particular party in the US, but the difference is they don't control almost half of Parliament (or whatever is the British equivalent of Congress). Says a lot about us, doesn't it?
The RNC's chairman is black....

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Thanks for the info everyone. I have nothing for or against them at this point,
Really? After reading what has been presented here? Really?

The RNC's chairman is black....
Fair point, its a bit of an unfair comparison to the GOP. You aren't banned from being a member if you're black for a start - hell black people have had pretty damn senior positions in the GOP.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
I said a lot in common, not everything in common. If you removed the white supremacy parts from the BNP's Wikipedia article, I would think I was reading the article for the GOP.
lol, yeah and when I read a wiki article on the DNC it looked like the communist manifesto. :rolleyes:

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I said a lot in common, not everything in common. If you removed the white supremacy parts from the BNP's Wikipedia article, I would think I was reading the article for the GOP.
The white supremacy (and open white supremacy at that) supersedes all other characteristics in my mind. To think that America is called down as being racist all of the time when the brits have a party that openly admit to being racist and covers itself as being patriotic.

The guys picture alone makes you want to put a boot in his face.

CarlisleUnited

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
Nederland
I think that did more damage to the Labour party than anything, I haven't seen a performance as bad as Jack Straw's in a while, he couldn't answer any questions. His thoughts on immigration just shows how out of touch the labour party is. I am also very surprised the EU constitution was not mentioned, probably because its something the BNP get a lot of support on.
Don't mistake me for a BNP supporter but I can see why they get a lot of support. I am a huge advocate of freedom of speech and the democratic system and do not understand how people can justify trying to block his appearance on question time, and found the forum very unfair to the BNP. Political parties should get fair representation in the crowd but there were only 3 BNP proponents (and Nick Griffin), he might as well have gone outside with all the protesters and have done that program.