Tonight's the night: BNP on Question Time

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by edesignuk, Oct 22, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

[​IMG]
    Mr Griffin, aka, C***.

BBC.

BBC.

So the pride shame of Britain gets some TV time tonight on the BBC's Question Time (BBC1 10:35-11:35pm).

Is this good, is this bad?

Although I think I'd rather he weren't there at all, I'm kind of looking forward to seeing what happens.

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I think people will watch it just to get themselves all wound up and have something to bitch about. It's like the urge to rubberneck a car wreck.

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Here's the rub though…

Link
    And comes next year's general election — how many million under 25's are currently unemployed? There's the BNP's target.

I don't know. These are dangerous times.
    If they were just a loony joke party, but the time and the economic conditions are working in their favour… :(

And I don't like it one bit…

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The problem is, if Griffin is barred from appearing they'll complain of censorship, and that the establishment is preventing them from airing the views of the British public and all that. It's one of their favourite complaints.

He's not going to go on there spouting the more extreme policies of his party, he's going to have an air of respectability about him and try to appear a decent, reasonable type who's simply trying to do what's right by the country – that's exactly how they've managed to gain support in recent years. The best thing the other panellists and the audience can do is remain calm and rational, and tackle him in a level debate. Ask very awkward questions of him, put him on the spot – and make sure any claims made about him and his party are backed up by fact.

It's been argued that this is just giving the BNP a platform, but it's equally an opportunity to show those who have been seduced by their more 'respectable' face exactly what they're all about.

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Are they not political party, now with seats in the EU and doesn't the BBC have the legal obligation to be impartial.

I feel its right that the BNP are allowed to appear on Question time it would be unjust if they were stopped.

(Just for the record Im not racist at all, nor do I support the BNP, but I do believe they should be able to discuss their viewpoint on a national debate)

6. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

The slimey bastard will be all reasonable and concerned about non contentious issues, he'll refuse to air his real racsist/fascist ideas.

7. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Forgive my ignorance of British politics (I've only been living in the country for a short time), but why does everyone call the BNP racist? I've looked them up on Google but can't find anything concrete. Their own website makes them sound like they're trying to bring pride patriotism back to England, something I'm completely in favour of. Coming from the U.S. I'm appalled that people actually want to stop their leader from speaking just because they don't agree with what he stands for. If we try to put down those whose views are different than our own one day we may find ourselves on the side who is not allowed to be represented. I'd like to hear some facts about this party.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23759615-non-whites-barred-from-bnp-meeting.do

That said as long as they don't break the law by inciting racial hatred they should be allowed on Question Time.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It is a "Whites Only" party (though it's suddenly trying to pay lip service to other skin colours because of the threat of legal action) whose leader has been a Holocaust denier. It's "Britain for the (White) British" with a policy of "encouraging repatriation" of all those who, despite being citizens of or born in this country have the "wrong" skin. Where they are to be "repatriated" to is another question.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

According to their Wikipedia article, the BNP seems to have a lot in common with a particular party in the US, but the difference is they don't control almost half of Parliament (or whatever is the British equivalent of Congress). Says a lot about us, doesn't it?

Not to sound too British or anything, but they're a bunch of bloody wankers :p

11. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Anyone who is a Holocaust denier is despicable.

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I can't currently find a link to their constitution (the BNP appears to be operating under a temporary site) but this in an excerpt from it;
    That's not patriotism. That's racism pure and simple.

Yes they're desperately trying not to sound overtly racist. Groups like this try to dress up their racism as patriotism to legitimise themselves. Don't fall for it.

13. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Thanks for the info everyone. I have nothing for or against them at this point, I just saw all the protesters on the news and thought I would try to find out the truth about this party.

14. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I welcome the BNP being invited to participate in a public forum. I hope that Mr. Griffin is well composed and is able to make his points in an effective and efficient manner. Every individual should have the right to find politics that they can identify with and join with like-minded individuals to compete for the right to govern.

At the end of the show, he should shoot himself in the face.

After spending the summer of 2003 working for the SNP, I found that one of their biggest obstacles to growth was people thinking they were the Scottish version of the BNP. Man, it made my life difficult (and funny - I do not fit the BNP profile).

15. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Well if there is any sort of denial of the Holocaust or dressing racism up through patriotism it seems easy to begin some opinion on the matter.

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The RNC's chairman is black....

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Really? After reading what has been presented here? Really?

Fair point, its a bit of an unfair comparison to the GOP. You aren't banned from being a member if you're black for a start - hell black people have had pretty damn senior positions in the GOP.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What would it take?

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I said a lot in common, not everything in common. If you removed the white supremacy parts from the BNP's Wikipedia article, I would think I was reading the article for the GOP.

20. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

lol, yeah and when I read a wiki article on the DNC it looked like the communist manifesto. :rolleyes:

21. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

A big thank you to the Anarchist sisters and brothers who put their freedom on the line to try and stop these facsist f:ckers and through gritted teeth the Swappies who stood with them.

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The white supremacy (and open white supremacy at that) supersedes all other characteristics in my mind. To think that America is called down as being racist all of the time when the brits have a party that openly admit to being racist and covers itself as being patriotic.

The guys picture alone makes you want to put a boot in his face.

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

24. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

agreed, I quite enjoyed watching him squirm under pressure!!!

25. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

I think that did more damage to the Labour party than anything, I haven't seen a performance as bad as Jack Straw's in a while, he couldn't answer any questions. His thoughts on immigration just shows how out of touch the labour party is. I am also very surprised the EU constitution was not mentioned, probably because its something the BNP get a lot of support on.
    Don't mistake me for a BNP supporter but I can see why they get a lot of support. I am a huge advocate of freedom of speech and the democratic system and do not understand how people can justify trying to block his appearance on question time, and found the forum very unfair to the BNP. Political parties should get fair representation in the crowd but there were only 3 BNP proponents (and Nick Griffin), he might as well have gone outside with all the protesters and have done that program.