Tony Abott / LNP wins the Australian Election

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by the8thark, Sep 8, 2013.

1. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

Tony Abbott / LNP wins the Australian Election
    What do you think about all of this?

Personally I could not be happier with the result even if I tried but that's just me.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How do his financial figures add up?

What about the claims of sexism against him?

3. the8thark thread starter macrumors 68040

the8thark

His financial figures add up if believe what people here say. But time will tell how well their budgets are.

Nah that was just a Gillard way to get favour in parliament, calling everyone against her sexist. But that is long in the past now, everyone has moved on, and the whole sexist thing is long dead and buried now. No one on either side now is sexist nor is accusing anyone else of being sexist.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Sounds like Australia is taking a step backwards.

What will be the measure of success in his tenure?

What is he promising to do for the country?

5. the8thark thread starter macrumors 68040

the8thark

Actually not all of that CNN report is correct.

1. Abbott has said he is giving his party a conscience vote on the same sex marriage issue.

2. Abbott has not dismissed the climate debate. He just has different ways to tackle the issue.

3. "But not since leader of the Labor opposition Mark Latham broke a taxi driver's arm in a dispute over a cab fare in 2001 have Australians had the chance to elect a real brawler as premier."
    The CNN here don't know the difference between premier and PM. Premier is the state leader, similar to a US governor. The Prime Minister is the country leader.

4. You quoted what you did. But then the same article goes on to say this:

"There's no occasion in his political career where those values have stood in the way of his politics. When it comes down to it, Tony Abbott is an absolutely secular politician."

That's rather contradictory there.

What is he promising to do for the country?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/to...mises-in-writing/story-e6frf7jo-1225884485091
    He has since said the surplus will come but will take longer to achieve.

What will be the measure of success in his tenure?
    He has said himself, if he does what he says he would do pre election that's a success, if he can't then that's a failure. So I guess he's put success and failure standards upon himself already.

6. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

I used to think the mad monk will be lesser of two evils... But not sure anymore...

7. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Would you mind referencing this claim?

8. zin macrumors 6502

How this guy won is beyond me. Throughout the debates the contrast between Abbott and Rudd was so clear to me; I don't know, perhaps I'm just being very biased towards the candidate I would've voted for if I were Australian, but it just seemed like Rudd knew what he was talking about.

Less than a year ago this guy was the laughing stock of Australia and now he gets elected. It doesn't help that Mr Murdoch has a media monopoly in Australia to help feed people misleading headlines.

Mr Abbott reminds me of the Australian counterpart to George W. Bush.

9. the8thark thread starter macrumors 68040

the8thark

The best I could find was Abbott personally was against the idea but will consider the idea of a conscience vote on the matter if it arose again when parliament resumes again.

I found a ton of articles stating this. And it seems that's his stand on the matter. Many Liberal members though are really pushing for the conscience vote though. I'm sure Abbott was ok with a conscience vote even though he does not like the idea of same sex marriage. But can't find a link to definitively say this.

----------

You just showed you are not Australian by your comments. That's not a bad thing at all, just a fact. Australians were sick of the Gillard/Rudd mess and sick of things like the carbon tax and other screw ups. Gillard was always the laughing stock of Australia, well more pity for her (as in how can we have a PM so bad). That's why Labor ditched her for Rudd again. And that's why Abbott and co won.

10. .Andy, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013

.Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Could it be that you were wrong?

In his own words less than 4 weeks ago;

http://www.samesame.com.au/news/local/10108/Abbott-Marriage-equality-just-fashion-of-the-moment.htm

11. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

Australian here, and I agree with Zin's comments.

How this man was elected is beyond me. His environmental policies will be a disaster for this country. For my kids' sake I am furious at the fools who bought cheap sound-bites like 'scrapping the carbon tax' without applying any mental effort to evaluate this policy.

FFS, he's pledged 1.5 billion for a road tunnel that won't solve congestion, by taking 1.5 billion out of foreign aid. That is absurd and un-Australian.

12. the8thark thread starter macrumors 68040

the8thark

Enough Australians felt he and his team would do a good job. So he got their vote. Pretty simple really.

13. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

Thanks for stating the obvious. How enough Australians felt he and his team would do a good job is beyond me.

14. AhmedFaisal, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013
  15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

You fundamentally have two parties, right? I mean, the minority parties are there, but they amount to not much, is this not prettymuch the size of it? How these things happen is that the economy goes in cycles, and when the electorate is pessimistic about the future, there tends to be a shift in power. In the US, you can tell how the elections are going to turn based solely on that (with the exception, in congress, of some districts and states that are effectively party-locked).It really does not matter if the anointed candidate drools out of the corner of his mouth or is astoundingly articulate and has three PhDs, if the economy looks to be going sour, the drooler, if he is anointed by the major party out of power, will become the national leader. It really has little-to-nothing to do with the issues. It always is the economy, stupid.

16. zin macrumors 6502

That there is the crux of this election. The Australian economy is doing extremely well. The people are pessimistic because the Murdoch-controlled media empire shoved misleading headlines down their throats.

The debate moderator at more times than I can remember used extremely biased language against Kevin Rudd, using leading questions in a negative way. For instance, one thing I can remember most prominently is the question, "...what is wrong with your plan?" Aren't debate moderators supposed to be impartial? Doesn't that question give the audience the impression that Mr Rudd's plan is indeed wrong and won't work compared to Abbott's plan?

I wouldn't have expected anything else, though, given that the debate moderator is employed by a Murdoch-controlled media company.