Tony Snow

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ja Di ksw, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

I didn't hate Tony Snow enough before, so life has given me more of a reason. Apparently he is going to quit being the White House Spokesman (I don't care if he does or not) for "financial reasons" because he is making - get this - *only* $168,000. The average household income in the States is, what, $60,000? $80,000? He's making over double by himself, possibly almost triple, but that's not enough to put bread on his table apparently.
    If he doesn't want to work there, whatever. That's his choice. But the guy is acting like he did this great service by taking a pay cut to - once again - *only* $168,000, and now that low pay has been hurting him and his savings so much he can't afford to stay at the job.

,,!,, you, Tony Snow.

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

yeah, that's a lot of money, but if he can leave and get a lot more elsewhere, why shouldn't he. Seriously, how can you hate a guy for wanting to get more money. I am sure you would do exactly the same thing, I know I would. its not like he's doing something so personally fulfilling in being a whitehouse spokesman. He's not curing cancer or anything. A guy with his connections can probably make a ton more than what he's making now. I'm no fan of his or the administration, but this is kind of a non issue.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Good riddance. Don't let your door hit you in the arse on the way out. Pass that message on to Rove too

4. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

But how will the administration do worse than him? :eek:
    They will find a way, but it seems like the spokespeople under this administration has gotten progressively worse, who's next?

5. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

Dude, chill!

If he can get richer honestly and faster... WHY NOT!?!?!?

Oh, $168,000 is nothing in a year.

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

That's fine if he said he had an opportunity he couldn't turn down, but the way he phrased it he was basically saying that he couldn't afford to live off that income. It's a little insensitive when the vast majority have to live on less than that income, and there are alot of people who have to live off alot less.

As for $168,000 not being alot, I think it is. The median US salary is about $67,000 for men and about $50,000 for women, so the vast majority of people don't make $168,000.

7. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Thank you swiftaw, that's what I was referring to.

I'm *NOT* complaining that he wants more money. I'm *NOT* complaining about the administration. I *am* complaining that he's acting like $168,000 isn't enough for him to live on. It's really insulting that this guy is pulling a "poor me, I'm so poor after taking this job" bit, when the majority of us would love to make half of that.

8. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

You seem to more than a little upset about that.

Anyway, the guy was making some serious cash before he took the job, and for him $168k was a major pay cut. The wealthy tend to rack up pretty serious bills, not the least of which are the mortgages that they have as well. He may actually need to go back to the private sector if his lifestyle is putting him in a position where he is not fiscally sound.

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Ok, fair enough, it's hard to suddenly live off a fraction of your previous income, but that raises 2 points: (a) he knew the salary before he took the job, it wasn't a surprise that his income suddenly got slashed, (b) even if he really does need more money, wouldn't you think someone would have said to him "look, you can say that you need more money, that's a little insensitive, why not say it's for personal reasons and leave it at that"

10. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

I'm probably more upset than I should be, I've got hit with multiple bad situations in the past month that have floored me financially.

In any case, I don't think that him being rich is an excuse for needing more money. The way you worded that post, it seems like his lifestyle is forcing him to need more money. Your lifestyle doesn't force you to need more money, you need money based on how you *choose* to live. If he wants to stay on the job, he can easily live on his paycheck.

11. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I doubt Tony Snow will even survive to 2009. If we wants to leave one of the most stressful jobs today, so be it.

12. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Neither of those topics are even relevant to the point of the thread.

13. Caezar macrumors 6502

I personally doubt that these are the real reasons why he is leaving.

Sounds more like a fake excuse. He probably had rather look like a greedy or insensitive person rather than be perceived as jumping from a sinking ship.

Don't you think?

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

And? Why are you taking out your frustration on him??

Let this guy go back to the private sector. This story is a non-event. It's not even a story.....it's like reading a tabloid, except you're talking about someone related to politics rather than A-list and B-list celebrities. It's just as bad, though.

15. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

The news article I just read gave me the same impression as the OP had.

Especially the part about him making only $168,000 and needs to make more to help his family and pay for college for his children and all. Boo hoo.

It's too bad about the cancer. That could be draining his salary really quickly.

He probably really is looking to jump the sinking ship. Though he denies even stepping down so who knows.

16. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

I'm hoping they replace Tony Snow with Bill O'Reilly. We could use a no-spin White House, for once :rolleyes:

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

While I sympathize with him for having cancer, his salary (and the government health insurance that comes with it) should certainly be enough to live on. This sounds like an excuse to get out of the Bush administration, and I can't blame him. I was actually surprised he took the job in the first place. Before that, I had some respect for him. He used to seem like a halfway decent guy. He lost that respect when he took the job.

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Tony Snow was, I'm sure, making much better money at Fox -- and that's the point of his critics. If he knew he had college-bound kids, and he knew he was taking a pay cut, then why didn't he put away some money beforehand?

Cripes, how many times have we heard conservatives scold people making $25,000 a year for not managing their money better and living within their means? And Tony is complaining about making six figures?? Whether it's high six figures or low six figures, my response is the same: gimme a friggin' break!! Learn to save money and live within your means, Tony. And stop whining and defending a party that lectures fiscal responsibility to the rest of us!

You are kidding, right?? :eek:

19. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

his fight with cancer *is* relevant, though. if he figures he's got only so long to live, why not maximize salary in order to have more time off? or buy a ferrari? or do whatever he wants with his money, since it's really none of our business.

but we're ignoring the *real* reason he, and rove btw, left: joshua bolton informed staff that those who didn't intend to stay the full remainder of bush's term should resign by labor day. i don't see why those who choose to leave need to come up with other reasons, but snow and rove did.

whatever, he doesn't want the job anymore, and who can blame him?

20. aquajet macrumors 68020

Have you seen Tony lately? The guy looks as if he's aged 20 years over the past year or so. I find it hard to believe this wasn't a factor in his decision to leave.

As much as I despise what the man's done, I'm guessing his days are numbered and I hope he is able to make the best of them.

@maccam
    $168k is more than twice the average family income. Not anything at all? Well, I have only one thing for that: :rolleyes:

21. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Myself and others disagree. Sorry to ruin your party.:rolleyes:

22. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

maybe for people in the broadcast news industry or the upper echelons of government. I'd love to make that much.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Let's hope he is.

Who was the sports star a couple years ago who was complaining he couldn't take care of his family on the exorbinant contract he was offered?

24. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

The guy was making money hand over fist with his syndicated radio program and columns and taking this job forced him to put all that on hold. Now he wants to go back to it. I don't blame him one bit.

25. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

As I pointed out, he's been making millions a year for quite a while. He has been living within his means. He just wants to return to that which has paid him so much better for years. Probably wants the freedom to discuss subjects freely instead of as the mouthpiece of the Whitehouse.

You don't actually think that he lives on that government salary, do you?