Too Bad We Can't Wall Off Trump's Brain

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I can throw some kudos to Texas:
    Most Texans do not want Trump's border wall

A Border Wall Isn’t Very Popular Among The People Who Actually Live There

Why President Trump's Border Wall Is An Example Of Bad Leadership- Forbes Magazine
    "Get the assumptions wrong and nothing else matters" - Peter F. Drucker

President Donald Trump made it very clear last week that his administration intends to build a border wall between the U.S. and Mexico. And he intends to make Mexico pay for it. He is so adamant he is willing to risk U.S./Mexican relations, canceling a meeting with the Mexican president.

Unfortunately, this tempest is all because of a really bad idea. The wall is a bad idea because the assumptions behind this project are entirely false. Like far too many executives, President Trump is building a plan based on bad assumptions rather than obtaining the facts - even if they belie his assumptions - and developing a good solution. Making decisions, and investing, on bad assumptions is simply bad leadership.

The stated claim is Mexico is sending illegal immigrants across the border in droves. These illegal immigrants are Mexican ne'er do wells who are coming to America to live off government subsidies and/or commit criminal activity. The others are coming to steal higher paying jobs from American workers. America will create a huge decrease in the number of illegal aliens by building this wall and keeping Mexicans in Mexico, and there will be a big jump in American employment.

Unfortunately, almost everything in that line of logic is untrue. And thus the purported conclusion will not happen. (See link for more).

2. tshrimp, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017

tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Just wondering if he does not build this boarder wall will you be upset about him not following through with his promises? IMO, he said he would do this, so I can't be too mad (and neither can Texas) if he decides to do it. After all didn't Texas support Trump. I am actually more for coming down hard on employers who hire illegals (like fining to the point of almost bankruptcy), but I am okay with the wall as well. I admit, I did not read all of your links, but I did read the first one, and it was a poll of 1000 people. Texas is a huge state, and very diverse depending on the area polled. And how many of those polled were illegal, etc. Sorry if your other links get into details on the polling, but I have limited time to be able to read and post.

Also, we need to stop educating people here in the US illegally, and I have mixed feelings on healthcare which they get for free.

3. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Up in New Hampshire there is this thing called the NORTHERN PASS. It's a new high voltage power line that will run power from Canada all the way through New Hampshire, Taxachusetts, and Connecticut. Lots of people are in favor of the power lines and the temporary jobs they will produce except for those that have to live near the power lines. The Wall will be the same way.

4. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I don't understand your logic. I did not vote for Trump, he is the most dangerous man in the world for a variety of reasons. I hate the idea of a wall and you expect me like Trump if he insists on making the terrible mistakes he campaigned on? The man is a prolific liar, an erratic loose cannon whose verbal macho tendencies I predict is going to get us and the entire world into trouble. You can see the wheels turning right now.

Regarding the wall, there are better ways. I too am against illegal immigration. I don't want to pay Mexican children to attend our public schools, nor provide them with health care.

5. tshrimp, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017

tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I was able to look at your second link, and even they admit the numbers are probably skewed.

"The Washington Post pointed out that the results may have been skewed a bit because “cities in the United States tend to be more liberal-leaning than rural areas, which could mean residents would be more inclined to oppose a border wall. Most of the cities also have overwhelmingly Hispanic populations — for instance, Nogales, Ariz., is 95 percent Hispanic. That could also affect the results, since Latino Americans tend to have more liberal attitudes on immigration issues.”"

Edit: Read the last one (and the one you appeared to quote most) which appears to be more of an opinion piece.

"Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own."
    "The author is a Forbes contributor. The opinions expressed are those of the writer."

6. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I'm so sick of hearing about the border. Either tear down the existing barriers or complete them.

7. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I admit that areas in Texas with higher Hispanic populations will most likely be more against a wall. But if you spend much time here, you really don't hear much if any complaining about the jobs illegals do here. I saw it in more significant jobs in Minnesota (living there) where I presumed* that illegals I observed were working on construction jobs.

* possibly my prejudice, hispanics, loud Spanish music on the radio, no hablo English. :oops:

8. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Like I keep saying: Trump should just come out and say he built the wall and it's working bigly. The MAGA hats will believe the lie, and the rest of us can avoid having to spend billions on worthless wall.

It's win-win.

9. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I have never gotten this touting of temp construction jobs, for example to try to justify an oil pipeline. My guess is that it's just food to feed the short sighted and get your pipeline.

10. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Except the northern pass will connect a significant percent of the US population to clean hydro-generated electricity, drive down the cost of clean energy by increasing competition in the industry, and reduce our dependence on fossil fuels; and the wall will do absolutely nothing good.

Also, welcome to New England: We invented "not in my back yard."

11. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I can't wait for that eye sore to dip across the beautiful White Mountain National Forest :rolleyes: Maybe I could live with it if the power plant was at least in America but it's support a Canadian power plant. Ugh. Furthermore, the governor said he would mill the project if the people didn't want it. We voted it down overwhelmingly and they pushed it through anyway.

12. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

But you seem to be for the Keystone pipeline. Hypocrisy at it's best.

13. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

That statement was in reference to someone saying the pipeline spilling oil every where and destroying the environment. So no hypocrisy. Nice try, actually, horrible try.

14. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

You had numerous comments in that whole thread. The inference is clear.

Don't deny it, embrace in the NIMBY in your New Englander blood.

15. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Whatever. I want the governor to live by his word.

16. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

And I want the president to live by his word both are fantasy.

17. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Really? You want the president to build the wall and deport illegals and institute a Muslim ban? Welcome to team Trump, Stevie.

18. jeyf macrumors 6502a

30+ percent of Hispanics voted for trump. yes we should build the wall.

19. Tech198 macrumors G4

hehe... wall of Trumps brain

Good idea. All he cares about positing on social networks as its the first and only place he thinks.

Naturally, your gonna get the trump supporters say "We'll all ok with Trump" with everything he does,..

He could even sneeze, and all Trump supporters would approve.

20. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I would settle for at least releasing his taxes and making America great again. sure let him ban muslims it has not worked so far twice.. the wall the wall trump gonnaubild a wall. well between americans maybe. team trump home of the lies that people eat so bad.

21. Zenithal macrumors 601

High voltage noise?

22. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Towers. A stretch of how voltage power lines to be if it a Canadian power company.

23. Zenithal macrumors 601

Okay. Is it the noise or the eyesore they provide?

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Lets build a pipeline/border wall with a built in THAAD system...AND the robot gunners from Aliens.

25. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

These 2 parts hit the nail in Forbes report

1. Although it cannot be proven, analysts believe the majority (possibly vast majority) of illegal immigrants enter America by air. There are two kinds of illegal immigration. President Trump's rhetoric focuses on "entries without inspection." But most illegal immigrants actually arrive in America with a visa - and then simply don't leave. These are called "overstays." They come from Mexico, India, Canada, Europe, Asia, South America, Africa - all over the world. If you want to identify and reduce illegal immigration, you need to focus on identifying likely overstays and making sure they return. The wall does not address this.

3. More non-Mexicans than Mexicans were apprehended at the U.S. border - and the the number of Mexicans has been declining. From 1.6 million in 2000, by 2014 the number dwindled to 229,000 (a decline of 85%). If you want to stop illegal border immigrants into the U.S., the best (and least costly) policy would be to cooperate with Mexico to capture these immigrants as they flee Central America and find a solution for either housing them in Mexico or returning them to their country of origin. It is ridiculous to expect Mexico to pay for a wall when it is not Mexico's citizens creating the purported illegal immigration problem on the border.