Too Fat To Work? £22k in Benefits

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by robbieduncan, Mar 17, 2009.

1. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes, I know, it's the Daily Mail, but still too fat to work.

So much to take issue with. For example none of them actually look like they are too fat to work in, for example, a call centre. Or the fact they claim it's a "hereditary condition" despite the parents of the family not sharing parents themselves (I hope).

Choice quote: "Mr Chawner said: ‘We love TV. It’s on from the moment we get up. Often I’m so tired from watching TV I have to have a nap.’ " Yes, that's right, it's hereditary, not watching so much TV that it tires them out that's making them fat.

Oh and the "0 pears" on the shopping list is fantastic too.

So basically why should the rest of us in the UK support this frankly disgusting and degenerate lifestyle?

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I bet if they lost all benefits from the government, they would change their tune real quick and get jobs. Surprising what a hungry belly can do to motivate you.

On a side note, just think of all those lucky tax payers working hard to make a living and to pay taxes so these folks don't have to work. Lovely system.

3. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

Sounds like one of the "news" pieces designed to bait a response. Who doesn't take responsibility for their own choices?

Don't have time to diet? What you eat is your diet. That's like saying I don't have time to eat (which they obviously do).

I'd be tempted to check out the validity of that story, but I'm too busy taking a nap from all my telly watching.

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

If they are so fat to work then why is one of them studying? I bet it ain't for ***** and giggles.

This disgusts me.

I have recently discovered I am allergic to milk and its why I weigh under 8 stone. Yet I am paying myself for all the extra crap I am being asked to consume. As well as work (hard) to pay for the house I can't afford to live in and so rent it out, and I am paying for those fat ***** to sit around and do **** all. :mad:

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Make them eat only pineapples and other healthy, high fiber food and see them lose weight quickly.

6. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Hmm...

Now you have me thinking. Maybe that is a way to not work any more. Kind of like an early retirement. Ha ha!

BTW, wonder what their wedding photo looks like?

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Right, that does it. let's kill 'em.

Yeah, I said it.

9. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

As I am probably the skinniest may eat them?

10. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

12. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

Wasn't there a Simpson's episode about this? Homer wears a Mu-Mu and works from home.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Here's two of them, waiting for McD's to open.

[​IMG]

14. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes

[​IMG]

15. waiwai macrumors regular

i dunno getting them shipped over there to indulge is going to be too much "work"... :S

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Wow! Just wow!

So many overweight people these days.

17. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

You would have to pay me a lot more than £22k a year to get that big. I don't actually think there is a dollar value high enough that I would cash in for morbid obesity. Anyone thinking "I'll just get really fat and cheat the system"; would the money really be worth sacrificing your health, your mobility, your appearance and any kind of active life?

I actually feel very, very sorry for this family, especially the two children. I think what the parents have done to them by passing down this lifestyle is nothing short of negligence and child abuse. It must be a truly miserable existence.

If you're outraged by this sort of thing, then write your local representative and ask them what steps are being taken to adequately combat the obesity epidemic. We need real nutritional education in schools at every level, physical education as more than a gateway for early-bloomers into sports, and more comprehensive food labels, food production laws and food advertising laws.
    Lactose intolerance is a bitch, isn't it? I grew up on horrible goat's milk because no other decent alternative had made it's way to my parent's town. I was pretty runty most of my life.

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

What on earth are you doing reading the Daily Mail robbieduncan? Even worse what on earth are you doing posting links to it and repeating their "stories"?

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

So has anyone been able to verify this story?

Google News seems to be returning results of questionable merit.

Undoubtedly.

Ignorance of nutrition, I think, is one of the biggest threats to the developed world in the modern era. Combine that with aggressive marketing by companies whose goal is to package and sell sugars, fats, and oils, and it doesn't look good for the vegetables and fruits.

The question here is, what do we do with people who are such blatant violators of the principle of self-restraint? Is it right for them to be put on the dole for something they caused themselves, and for something they can correct themselves?

20. Greenhoe macrumors regular

People like me make me SICK! If this is a true story then that just pisses me off more on how my taxes are always being raised, for what to support lazy ass people like these?

I'm sorry if this is wrong but I honestly would not feel one bit of sorrow if this entire family was put out on the street and hung for stealing from all the hard working tax payers, atleast that is what would of happened a couple hundred years ago.

21. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I don't think that's the issue. Everyone is well aware that a homemade salad with fat-free dressing is healthier than a McDonald's Big Mac, but many choose the hamburger nonetheless. It's not a matter of ignorance, it's a matter of resolve.

22. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

To a large degree though, kids (and as they age, adults) are unaware of what their bodies need and why.

Portion control is also grossly misaligned in the American diet. Even traditionally "small" servings are too much for one meal. Factor in less time for parents to make healthy meals, and the deck is stacked.

Like smoking and other health education, proper food education needs to be honest, persistent, and prioritized.

And for god's sake, let people eat real butter with their toast! (personal pet peeve). :p

23. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Smoking is a good parallel. There isn't an American alive who isn't aware of the health risks associated with smoking; every carton is labeled with, "Warning: The Surgeon General Has Determined that Cigarette Smoking Is Dangerous to Your Health," and millions are spent every year on educating children about the dangers of smoking. Yet, many thousands of Americans begin smoking every year. Can we really claim ignorance as the problem, or does the issue go deeper than that?

At what point do we accept that it's a choice? Given that all parties are well informed, perhaps it's best to accept that others are entitled to make personally harmful decisions, and often will, despite the damage.

At what point does education become propaganda?

24. bartelby macrumors Core

That's kind of what I was thinking.

25. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I think for the moment ignorance does play a much larger role. Most Americans know of the risks associated with smoking, and hence the vast majority don't smoke.

Compare smoking today to smoking in the 1950s when the average person knew very little about how nicotine works. That's where Americans are in regards to nutrition in my opinion. There's mass ignorance and powerful addiction still at play.
    If the majority of Americans are capable of explaining how many calories they need to eat, which vitamins they need, and why calcium is important, then I think education's task is done.

If people know of the pitfalls of their poor diets, then they are really making bad decisions on the same level as cigarettes. I honestly don't think most people are there yet though. I could be wrong, but somehow I doubt most Americans know basic nutrition considering the fact that only 27% can name the 3 branches of government. ;)