Too "Hip" or Not "Hip" Enough? :(

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by gkarris, Aug 23, 2007.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Gosh, having a bit of a social crisis...

I can't just seem to fit anywhere anymore.

It seems the "in" thing is to be "hip". The way I see it (sorry to be stereotypical if you fit into below - please don't take it personally):

You own an "cool" laptop Mac - a PowerBook Aluminum or newer Intel one..
    You have a tatoo, and ears pierced.
    You where cool black t-shirts, and sandles.
    You wear your iPod and maybe also an iPhone proudly.

Anything less and you're not "hip". I was in the Apple Store to check out the new stuff and the store salespeople ignored me. I saw people with sort of the above come in and salespeople greeted them when they came in right away...

I also was at a coffeeshop and saw the person next to me exactly like above using his black MacBook. I was using my lowly iBook G4 14". I asked how the his new MacBook was, and he kinda gave me the "why are you asking" look and shrugged me off. He doesn't even know that I was using Apple computers (the original Apple ][) before he was probably even born.

On the other side of the coin, going to a coffeeshop with business people with my iBook G4, I get the sort of looks, "one of those Apple Fans who don't know squat about real computers..." They don't know I work I.T. for my company and I can run circles around their knowledge of Windows machines...

So, where do I fit in? Do I need to? What's up with our culture?

I'm reading a book "Better Off" about how much technology do we need and what it's doing to our society. I like his feeling when the author said that with our total acceptance of technology and our expectations of it, he's getting "cultural indigestion"...

I think that's me right now...

2. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Maybe you're just having a bad run. Everytime I sit down next to a fellow Mac user we can have a quick conversation about Apple and that happened regardless of whether I had my aging TiBook or my MacBook Pro. I've also talked to several people about their iPhones (lucky bastards!).
    As for the Apple Store guys, they really seem to range depending on the store. Personally, I like the guys at the store near me, they're friendly and interested in talking to customers.

Chin up.

3. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Don't take this the wrong way, but you seem like you have some self-esteem issues. Why do you need affirmation or attention from Apple Store employess?

4. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

If you're using Apple for years, you're probably a bit older (past mid twenties). Living in a culture that worships youth means you're past the target demographic for most companies. They want to sell us nappies and life assurance rather than the latest trendy tech. Nappies just aren't sexy (unless you're into that kind of thing :eek:)

I'm there too. I'm not old, but I'm above the "trendy" threshold. Don't try to fit in - do your thing and enjoy the process of becoming a cynical crotchety old fecker. It's your right, no, duty to get cynical about these things.

5. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I think you are taking this all too personally.

I don't think people think you're hip or not based on your computer. Personally I think people with tattoo's and piercing aren't very cool and just a) want attention or b) have had some sort of mental trauma in their past.

As a person very concerned with my outer appearance and trends I wouldn't say wearing black t-shirts and sandals is cool. Then again there are many sorts of coolness and hipness.

Not many people have iPhones. I think you are being to zoned into this thought that the only way to be cool is to have the latest and greatest apple products. Thats not true at all, and most people don't care. I would think most people would just think of you as a crazy mac fanatic. Being "hip" does not just revolve around apple products.

I doubt the people at the apple store ignored you, they probably just don't want to be forceful and annoying sales people. And the guy at the coffee shop quite possibly did think it was strange you wanted to talk about his computer, he's probably not a mac head like most people here.

I think you are being too critical of yourself, and definitely for the wrong reasons. If you want to feel cool in your mind then go out and buy a new mac, get a tattoo, and some black shirts. I really don't think it will make you feel differently about yourself, and I don't think other people will think different of you.

I don't mean to sound harsh or anything, but really, I think you are too concerned about yourself and you have a distorted sense of reality. Be proud of who you are and what you have.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

7. thugpoet22 macrumors regular

I think the problem is trying to fit in.

When your trying to fit in your bending or altering yourself. Get comfortable in your own skin and if you want to fit in create your own small world. At the end of the day a computer is a tool that has many functions. Use it for your own end and be satisfied with the quality of self.

8. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Hear, hear! Why be another clone?

9. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I used to be rather unpopular in school and then when I left I found that all the popular kids turned into complete idiots with ****** lives, now within my own circle of friends of which there are many I consider myself cool by their and my own standards and that is what truly matters.

10. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

it's obvious what you need to do here, start smoking all the cool kids are doing it and it's sure to help you fit in.

11. Queso macrumors G4

My thoughts exactly. Unless he's about to announce he's found god or thinking of voting Green this thread should be in CD.

12. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Maybe he thinks of it as a social issue

13. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

He does seem to be talking about a social issue...

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Perhaps there's a clue in the fact that you've used an Apple II. Obviously you're no kid. Methinks there's a bit of age discrimination there on the part of the Apple Store employees.

The coffeeshop/businesspeople thing...that's just the sort of crap you get for Thinking Different. I was at a seminar a few weeks ago, and there were several presenters with Powerpoint, and one of them made a crack about the other one using a MacBook "because, you know, he's one of those." :rolleyes:

15. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

People are fickle. Don't sweat it. It's like the saying "We would worry less about what others think of us if we realized how seldom they do." (Ethel Barrett)

If you go into a place expecting not to fit in or stand out, you won't. There's something about confidence that gets a person noticed and there's a subtle air of respect about it. Make eye contact and demand the attention from the snooty Apple sales dudes. "No one can make you feel inferior without your permission." (Elanor Roosevelt, IIRC) sorry, I'm not usually so full of quotes, but they fit here.

Don't be too self-critical, no one really fits in, that's all just bullsh**. What they have that maybe you don't is confidence. Focus on that, sounds like you have every reason to be confident.

16. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Benefit of the doubt, maybe the Apple store employee(s) knew or were friends with those "hip" who came in while you were on the ignore list.

I was rudely cut in front of in line by one from the "entitlement age" at the last Apple store I was in while waiting to finalize my purchase. I thought, "what am I, chopped meat?", then I thought, "yeah, I probably am", smiled and let it go.

Self consciousness can become a nuisance if left to rule the day. Just go zen, content to move in unconscious competence, and let things fall where they must, "hip" or "hipless".

17. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

I've been trying to get my kids to start smoking for years now, but they refuse.

I keep telling them how cool they will look and the social acceptance they will find at school.

Kids today....

but to the OP :

really, I don't think any of your thoughts are worth one more second of your time. You will probably only be alive for another 40-50 years maybe? I think about that a lot, and it makes me realize nothing really matters except doing what I really want to and caring for the people immediately around me (to borrow a line from Muse: the people who care if I live or die). the rest of the world can toss off as far as i'm concerned.

18. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

That is one kind of "hip" person i guess, but it seems these days (at least from my perspective) it hasn't been as much what you're wearing EXACTLY as much attitude. In my school there a lot of different styles people have, and they're all "hip." Some are beatniks clashing with 80s garb, some just wear stuff like you mentioned, whatever. I wouldn't categorize "hip" by one thing. I've noticed a lot of people also gauge hipness at my school by musical taste and stuff so i don't know :)

As others have said, i wouldn't take it to heart. The first example was just a bad salesperson. I do not notice salespeople doing stuff like that much. When i'm in Apple stores i always see salespeople enthusiastically helping all people. You can get that anywhere though.

For the second example, that's not an example of you being unhip or something, it just seemed kinda random to ask a stranger how their computer is. Maybe he was put off by how you just randomly asked him? From the last sentence i take it you are a bit older than he was, so it is also very likely that he was a bit weirded out that an person older than he was talking to him randomly...

19. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

No self respecting man wears open-toed shoes. Totally agree on the black tees though.

20. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

spoken like a man who needs a vacation! :p

21. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

I'm ten minutes from the beach and never wear sandals. :D

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

To the OP- don't worry about what other people think of you. Be yourself. You won't get anywhere trying to "fit in"- it just makes you look kind of desperate. I mean, come on- an iBook G4 is hardly that old or "lowly". That's what I travel around town with, and I'm not suffering! :) And just think, you don't have to put up with that awful glossy screen. ;)

23. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

that's just wrooooong. tsk tsk!

</envious... about the beach part>

(sorry for the little tangent here)

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't own sandals and I can walk to the beach. So there! :)

25. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Thanks all! You've made my day!!!

What's also made my day is the unlocking of the iPhone and I'm a loooong time T-Mobile customer! ;)