Too hot; no fan noise; suggestions to test new rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by juantoothree4, Mar 28, 2014.

1. juantoothree4 macrumors member

Hi.

I just have some curious questions.

How I basically use or used my computers/old desktop, is that I turn it on, and leave it on until I have to go somewhere, or to bed. Usually, it is turned on for 6-12 hours straight. I do the same thing with my new macbook pro. But with this fancy computer, it is very silent and peaceful. It goes to sleep when I am AFK very fast. I really think it saves more power than the desktop.

Now, I notice my macbook gets really hot. It's always on the table, so when I realized it was hot while I'm typing away, I lifted and gave it some air, started using it on my lap. The temperature went down then. I'm just wondering, is this normal??

EDIT: Also note that, my macbook pro is always plugged into charge. I just took it off now when I realize it was too hot. That might have helped reduce the temperature. Is it inadvisable to keep the plug in my laptop?

When I use it on the table after awhile I will eventually notice the warmness on top of the keyboard and basically the base; sides of trackpad. Also I tried running it unplugged, and it still got really hot underneath. Should I be worried?

Another thing is about the fan. When should I be hearing the fan? I don't think I have noticed and heard the fan from my macbook. I am not sure if every time I boot this I should hear a fan, but when I restarted I didn't hear it. I might have gotten used to the annoying fan of my desktop. So is this normal for my Macbook PRO?

Now when I start CSS (Counter Strike Source) and join a server, I don't hear a fan. I'm just wondering because I know fans are good. And before buying I knew that this macbook would be great because it would be silent but at the same time know how to use the fan when needed. Am I wrong? Shouldn't there be fans going on with my macbook to release air or something?

I don't have any other video games to test on, or any other heavy movies like blu ray to play. It will have to wait until Monday. Are there any tests you guys would like to recommend for me to try?

Overall, can you guys give me examples of tests to try out if my macbook is at its best or just to satisfy myself and know that my macbook is good to go? On another note, am I being too micro-managing or paranoid?

Thank you for your time and help! I greatly appreciate it!

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

A good way to test the fans is to hold D at start up. You can run the short test and it may need for you to enter your wireless password. You will hear it really loudly what the fans can do if they are in working order.

Also, reset the SMC by following the instructions here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

3. zwodubber macrumors 6502a

Your fans run when they need to, and air is released at the hinge. Most heat is on the left side of the machine because of the GPU location.

Here is a shot I took of mine running multiple programs (photoshop, Indesign, illustrator) while playing iTunes and streaming a move. The fans kicked on periodically as needed.

Don't sweat the fan issue, they are designed to run and ventilate at proper temperatures.

[​IMG]

4. Mac-Tek macrumors newbie

Did you try to clean the heatsink and replace thermal pads and paste? This is very important especially on the GPU and video memories. There is a set of thermal paste that is specially designed for Apple computers and you can see a video of them here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9v5MDivZfc

This shows how to apply it on iMac video boards but it is more or less the same on Macbook notebooks.

This set is avaliable on ebay here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261419323645#ht_1511wt_797

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

@OP

First, what is your rMBP model? 13''?

Anyways, it is normal for a machine to get warm, and the new fans are really good, so it is quite easy to overhear them. So I wouldn't worry too much.

No problem using it plugged in most of the time. Batteries need "exercise" every other week, so if you never unplug it at all you should maybe set a reminder to use the battery at least once a month.

6. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

well the fans on the retina are comparatively more silent then the normal MacBooks. There isn't a reason to worry macs have a tonne of protection to prevent against overheating or fans not running at required speeds. If you doug you have an issue do an apple hardware test hold 'D' right after you press the power button and do the tests. Or if you want an in-depth test have apple check it for you. The bottom panel as well as few regions on the keyboard will get warm to pretty warm since its aluminum.
    No problems of using it on power supply but do use the battery once in a while.

7. ha1o2surfer macrumors 6502

The very nature of aluminium is to absorb heat and since it doesn't let transfer it to the outside air quickly then it's normal for the heat come over the entire laptop and stick around. You'll never get a cold laptop unless it's plastic. Such as my G46VW which gets 25-27c surface temps even under max load.
    Anyways, it's perfectly normal. I have a rMBP 15 and it's almost always warm to the touch.

8. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

I never hear the fan on my rMBP, but it works fine.
    You can download iStat Pro or the trial of iStat Menus that will show the fan speed.

Barney

9. juantoothree4 thread starter macrumors member

Hi guys.

Sorry I was not clear about my situation. I'm a new mac user, just got my rMBP 15' with GT650m video card, the one with 8GB memory and 255 SSD, 3-4 days ago.

Thanks for the info about the heat origins, really informative.

@Mac-tek Hi I'm not really good with tinkering, yet at least. And my MBP is new, so maybe that's already done for me? Sorry, late info on my situation. I will keep this in mind when I would have to do this though. I'm not sure I can as I'm not really good with tinkering, afraid to break my device.

Anyway, I will be testing my fans soon. I'm glad all is well and normal. Hopefully, the fans are all fine as well, which probably is. Thank you all!!

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Do not open that MBP. Simply hold D and it will report back if there is an issue with the fans. A fast test is fine!

Also reset the PRAM and SMC and you should be good to go.

11. Trek2100 macrumors 6502a

Trek2100

If you open it while under warranty you've just trashed the warranty. For an older machine do what you want but don't screw it up.

Also, install iStats. There is a free widget or you can purchase iStat menus and monitor away. I have it on my old MBP, new rMBP and iMac.

12. juantoothree4 thread starter macrumors member

For sure, I will not open this up under warranty. They can check it still but not me. I will keep these tests in mind.

Just another thing, what surface is best for using a MBP, does it matter? My MBP is on wooden table is that fine?

13. Mac-Tek macrumors newbie

Surface does matter. Wooden table is fine. Using it on your bed on a blanket is not. It is designed to operate on hard flat surface. Since your MBP is under warrantee forget my previous message until it ends. However as soon as it does I think you should refer to someone to open it and clean it properly.