Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

callmemike20

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Why are there so many blue icon apps out there? Most of my home screen is blue. Apps need to provide a better variety of app icons. What about red like netflix, orange like att, or green like the NFL app? With the retina display, all of these colors look amazing, but why do developers choose blue???

May 8, 2008
Likely because blue is the main, or a main, color in their logo.

For example, Safari, Facebook, Twitter, Mail etc...

chembox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
Blue is a neutral color, while red seems to be invading and threatening.

I tried organizing my apps by color, but iTunes disorganized it after an update.

callmemike20

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
USA
I think one of the best icons is pandora. Sure, it's a little blue, but it has a lot of white and a good shine to it.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Blue is a very popular color worldwide! It represents happiness and optimism most of the time :)

intervenient

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
This has been one of my biggest complaints with the iPhone. My OCD doesn't want icons of similar colors immediately next to each other. Yet, all these blue icons are the most useful ones :/

callmemike20

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
USA
This has been one of my biggest complaints with the iPhone. My OCD doesn't want icons of similar colors immediately next to each other. Yet, all these blue icons are the most useful ones :/

It's an OCD of mine too. 6 of the 21 default icons have too much blue in them. That's not too high of a percentage, but there's more to it. The blue used in these icons is really bright and stands out whereas the compass and calculator are dark. So it makes it seem like there is too much blue. Plus, there isn't much variety in the shades of blue used.

mattraehl

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
I noticed this recently, not surprised to see that it has been posted about before. I have 53 apps on my iPhone and 17 (nearly a third) of them are primarily blue. I have as many primarily blue apps as primarily orange, red, yellow, green, purple, white, black, brown, or tan apps combined! (17 - the other third of my apps are diverse enough that they can't be considered primarily one color) Apple is a major offender with 7 built-in blue apps. Something must be done. :)

Mail
Safari
Facebook
Yahoo Sportacular
Logos Bible
Aqueduct
Voice Memos
Shazam
Amazon PriceCheck
Stocks
Weather
Videos
App Store
Photo Transfer
Dropbox
NBC
Timer+

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
My icons seem like a pretty colorful mix to me, but I "resolved" the "problem" by just organizing and foldering the heck out of everything.

DVP9Ll.png

Greatly reduces the number of screens I have to go through, as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.