Too much violence in media, or not enough nudity?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Feb 26, 2013.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I have seen a LOT of dismembering of people and body parts on American TV thanks to the like of CSI, NCIS, Criminal Minds, and shows that existed before that. Not to mention news programs that deal with REAL crime with REAL people and their horrific wounds.

Then you have video games like Doom, Quake, Unreal...

On the other hand, nudity, even G-string's, are strictly censored in American. Recently (Feb 2013) I saw on Survivor a contestant's pants did not quite cover the crack of her butt. It was censored.
    It is also ironic since America has one of the most prodigious pron industry in world, even though highly controlled (hypocritical?)

Meanwhile I have seen on foreign media (France, Japan, Spain) nudity (non-provocative nudity) that would could be considered illegal in USA because the models where shown on national TV or younger then 18. In the French case, it was 1982 political advertising of all things, giant billboards with 9 ft high images.

So America glorifies violence with gratuitous gruesome scenes in all form of media with barely a warning, yet stigmatizes the natural human body (mothers are criticized for breastfeeding outside of house).
    Does that send a message that violence is OK, but the human body is not?

Discuss

Aside,
    a macrumorite has a great sig:

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I think if we had more titties and less guns on tv this country would be a much better place. Try telling it to the flannel shirted Bible n' Guns 'Mericans.

3. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Thank you! :D

As my signature suggests, I do find American culture to be a bit backwards on this issue. It seems that our Puritan past has never lost its influence completely.

4. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Boobs not bombs! :cool:

For those who prefer:

Dicks not destruction! :p

5. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I was going to write a very serious and well thought out reply to this very important question.

But then I got to thinking about
    [​IMG]
    Those thoughts moved on to her being NUDE and then this Bunny had to go and lay down.::D [​IMG] :D

6. PinoyAko macrumors 6502

I'd rather see a p*ssy or d*ick (note: i'm not gay) than seeing a person cutting someones neck in a movie.

7. APlotdevice, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

The funny thing is that if nudity was considered acceptable in our society, you probably wouldn't react like that. I mean think about it: in the early 20th century it was considered risqué to see a woman's belly and upper legs. In the 19th century this extended to her arms and shoulders. Yet now-a-days no one but the most prudish among us thinks much of it.

The fact that certain regions of a woman's body like her breasts are normally covered up is really why men focus so much on them.

8. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I blame fat old women who has nothing better to do, they are only jealous. :mad:

9. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Those who are not willing to compromise can watch Spartacus on Starz. You'll get lots of everything. This show is made of equal parts of blood, sweat, and other body fluids.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Yes, we are seriously screwed up.

11. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I think we'd be doing a whole lot better if we had less of both.

12. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

No way, brah. Titties good, guns bad. Besides, there are no titties on tv unless you go to the upper cable channels.

13. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Why is nudity bad?

14. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Because (and this is just one guy's opinion) sex shouldn't be a commodity or some voyeuristic enterprise. All that does is just desensitizes us from the emotional bonds that are supposed to be there between a married couple.

15. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

So nudity=sex?

You cannot look at a nude woman and not feel aroused?

16. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Sex is a very primitive function with little biological need for emotion to be behind it. A married couples emotional bonds should be a bit deeper than just sex. Just my opinion.

17. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Or a penis. :p

18. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I'm watching "The Walking Dead" at the mo. Got a "cheeky" shot of Andreas arse :)

19. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

In a lot of cases....yes. There's hardly any nudity on TV these days that's not either overtly sexual in nature or have it implied.

See I disagree. I think sex is one of those things that can bring couples closer together when it isn't treated as just a "primitive function". The whole concept of giving yourself to your husband or wife can be an amazing thing if it isn't given up along the way. In our culture though we're taught that it's no big deal to sleep around with whoever for as long as you want....so your position is understandable.

20. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

That is arguably because our censors treat nudity as sex. Slapping on a rating that severely marginalizes what networks it can broadcast on, what time it can be shown, and therefor the kind of audience it mostly attracts.

21. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Nudity does not equal sex. You can be nude without it being sexual in nature. A lot of Americans think just because a woman is topless, it is sexual because they are uptight about the human body. American society does need to be desensitized about the human body. Don't have to desensitize them about sex, but if you see a topless woman in the shower, just showering, is that really sexual? No......

22. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

So because you see the nudity on TV today and either implied or overtly sexual it therefore cannot be another way.

Maybe it's overtly sexual because Americans don't see each other in any state of undress other then when leading to a sexual act.

Maybe it's time as a nation to disassociate nudity and sexuality? There is only one way to do this to remove the taboo that is human. People look remarkably the same with out cloths.

It has been argued that you can base a marriage on sex but not on love love is tempestuous sexual attraction is generally not. While I would not make that argument in contemporary America I would argue that destigmatizing, demystifying, and generally demoralizing it will actually build stronger relationships. Americans get married far to early in life part of that reason is society tell them they can't get into each others pants until they are married.

Then when and if they do get into each others pants they do it ill-equipped. Really it's all done to keep the facade or morality. We don't have a moreal breakdown we have a break down because of morals and technology. Simply our "transgressions" get seen and talked about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_Behavior_in_the_Human_Male#Marital_coitus

23. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I can definitinely understand where you're coming from. I don't think that primitive function sex and emotional sex are mutually exclusive. I think humans are capable of having the best of both worlds. Speaking for myself, I can have sex with a newly met stranger just for fun but I can also have romantic and intimate sex with the person i'm in a relationship with. (Not in the same time period). It really depends how I'm feeling at the moment. I also think that it varies from person to person. For some people sex is a much more emotional thing than it is for others. It's really a to each his own kind of thing. But in general, I don't think there is anything wrong with sleeping with whoever you want as long as you do it responsibly. I agree with our general culture that it's no big deal.

24. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

That's exactly what I was trying to point out a couple posts back. People have in fact already become partially desensitized over the last couple centuries. It's just those three (or perhaps more accurately four)* little regions of the female body... and one of the male body... that our society still carries a stigma towards.

*Something which has always amused me is that it's not really the breasts themselves that are considered "obscene" (by the censors at least).. just the nipples.

25. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

This says a lot about you. And the discussion is about nudity... why did you bring up sex?

There's a certain perversion in the inability of lots of Americans to see a nude image without thinking of sex. Nudity has been a staple of millennia of civilised western art... America, where did you go wrong?

This body Puritanism also has a lot to answer for when it comes to negative body image and all the unhappiness and disfunction that brings.