Too Scared To Use Your iPhone???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by m477h3w, Dec 12, 2007.

1. m477h3w macrumors 6502

OK, I have seen this being discussed in parts across the forums, but haven't seen a specific thread on it, and thought it would be quite interesting.

In my opinion (and this really is only my opinion), there are three types of iPhone users out there.

1- Those who are too scared to use their iPhone in public for fear of it being
    stolen.
    2- Those who are carefull, and selective about where and when they use it.
    3- Those who don't worry about such things and just get on with it.

Now personally I am a number 2 (not that number 2!!!!!!!!!!). I think number 1's are being over cautious, and should not own a £269 phone, and I think number 3's are naive and perhaps think they can take on anyone that challenges them.

Now I look forward to the opinions and critisism :eek:

2. mag2001 macrumors 6502

3. Trent0341 macrumors 6502

I would be your 3. I bought this phone to use it not save it till no one is looking. Someone could walk up, grab it, throw it in the air and proceeded to do their best impression of Barry Bonds on his 10th cycle of steroids. The second thing that I would do? Buy another iPhone. Enjoy the thing.

4. m477h3w thread starter macrumors 6502

:D Slightly strange concept but I see your point.

I assume you are loaded? :cool:

5. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

I'm also a number 2. I remember being a number 2 with my first ipod before they became so common place that I didn't worry anymore.

6. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

Anyone who is not a 3 has let their personal freedom be repressed by the fear mongering of the major media. The world is not out to get you, you will all be fine.

Really.:)

7. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

I am also a number 3, what's the point in having one if you can't enjoy it!!

But then again I pay an extra £7.50 a month to be a number 3!

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

definitely a 3. The chances of anyone mugging me (or anyone else in the UK) are very slight and wildly exaggerated by the media.

9. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

yea I'd have to say I'm around 2.725..

at first when I got it near launch I was very careful and very paranoid about using it, but now it's just ... a phone... lol like it always has been, minus my distorted perception :p

10. m477h3w thread starter macrumors 6502

I used to have exactly the same attitude in life, and I wish I still did! Unfortunately I have been a victim of crime a few times (not violent I might add), and would hate to have my iPhone stolen. I think it is also because of all the personal information on the phone.

I agree with fastbite, I think once they are more common place, I wont be quite so discrete when out and about :)

11. UKLawTalkingGuy macrumors newbie

Solution?

I almost dropped my iPhone on the day I bought it so I decided to go out and buy a silicone skin for it.

Now, despite my new found hatred for the Carphone Warehouse, they do sell a particularly ugly black silicon skin for £10.

This means that if I am holding the phone to my ear, it could easily be mistaken for one of the many HTC re-branded Windows Mobile devices or just a normal iPod.

I do try and remain quite discreet however, when I need to tap away at the screen in public.

12. metman787 macrumors member

I'm definitely a number 3. I have really no fear of anyone stealing it or trying to mug me and its not like I'm takin the phone out in safe areas. I spend most of my time in Newark, NJ which is in the top five cities in crime in the US. You can't be scared. Criminals can honestly sense that and then you are in a bad spot.

Dont be scared its just a phone and if something does happen it is still just a phone. An expensive one but a phone nontheless.

13. m477h3w thread starter macrumors 6502

I am only speaking for myself here of course, but I am not 'scared' of being mugged, I'm not exactly a small guy! But neither am I naive enough to not think anyone that wanted my iPhone could take it off me if I wasn't carefull. If a 5ft, 8 stone old lady wanted to nick it off me, I'm sure if she was prepaird to be violent enough, she would be successful.

I love my iPhone and use it everywhere, don't get me wrong, I just try not to flash it around.

My iPhone is covered on my homes contents insurance, so I would be more worried about people getting their hands on my personal data, rather than the money aspect of it.

All valid points though! :D Thanks for joining in!

14. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I use my iPhone whenever I need to.

Am I scared of it being stolen? No.

Do people really creep around their lives "scared"?

Why use your car, bike, iPod, cash, etc etc? It can all be stolen! :rolleyes:

15. merlinmagician macrumors member

I am another 2.5. I travel via tram and train to Loughborough most days. Early morning walking to and from tram and train stations I am a little cautious about revealing it.

However as I have the standard headphones most people that are "in the know" will know exactly what I have in my pocket. Even crims even though they are stupid are a bit techno savy these days.

I don't really worry too much about it.

16. thats nice macrumors member

So far i've never been in a situation where i've been scared or worried about using my iPhone, although i could definitely see positions where i would keep it in my pocket rather than play with it.

eg - if i was walking home from the train station and i noticed 10 wanna be thugs i wouldn't crank open youtube and start watching some sweet videos with a huge grin from ear to ear and then wave it around to the group of clowns. But thats just me, i'm a paranoid person. However even if some jerks came up and followed me or something after seeing me use it i sure as hell wouldn't give it up without a fight.

17. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Im a 2 i am waiting after christmas when everybody gets one to be more relax with my iphone in public

18. sananda macrumors 68020

yup! around here you get killed for talking to someone.

19. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

And where would here be? :eek: ;)

20. mpw Guest

I'd be a 3 if I had an iPhone, my phone is more expensive than the iPhone and I use it in the open, I can't imagine being too scared to use a phone in public.

21. sananda macrumors 68020

crystal palace, south london. recently someone was murdered after he told off some kids for throwing litter through his car window. there are often police signs looking for witnessed to violent crimes. and signs warning us that theives are after our ipods.

22. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

OK. Well in that case I'd be a 1. :( :eek:

23. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

When I get one :p I'll pretty much be a number 3. Anything else is letting the bad guys win.

The exception being anywhere notorious for muggings and pickpockets... I probably wouldn't flash it around on a packed London tube train for instance. I'm a Northerner so it's very rare I'm in that situation though.

24. ajl917 macrumors 6502

Im probably a 2 1/2. I am VERY protective of my phone, but I take it everywhere...

25. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i'm a 2.5 as well. i just watch my surroundings - if i'm in a part of the city that looks a little sketchy, i won't whip out my iphone for all to see. i already ditched the oem white headphones and now use some black v-moda vibe duos so it's not too obvious that i have an iphone/ipod in my pocket, so that makes me feel better. the only time i don't use my iphone is when i'm snowboarding - i swap out the sim and use an old nokia. i have no desire to fall on my iphone and crack the screen while doing some stupid stunt in a weak attempt to prove to the teenagers speeding by me that i'm not an old fart :eek:.