Took a picture of some of my MacBook pros

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ScreenSavers, Jul 11, 2019.

1. ScreenSavers macrumors 6502

ScreenSavers

This really shows the evolution of them over almost 13 years...[​IMG][​IMG] just look at that trackpad difference![​IMG][​IMG]Wonder if any of these will last another 13?

2. ScreenSavers thread starter macrumors 6502

ScreenSavers

Feel free to comment on which one is your favorite model!

3. vaugha macrumors 6502

Design of 2016+ 15” is my favorite by far.

4. xxray macrumors 6502a

This. The 2nd generation has a special place in my heart though because it was my first MacBook Pro ever and it served me extremely well for 5 years. Thanks for the pics OP!

5. ScreenSavers thread starter macrumors 6502

ScreenSavers

Finally people who agree with me. I have owned all four as my personal machines and I feel like they get better and better. My current one is the mid 2018 and it’s a beast.

The others in the picture are a late 2006 17”, a mid 2010 17”, and a mid 2014 “retina” 13”. All of them are very nice machines in their own right.

6. Wags macrumors 65816

7. nouveau_redneck macrumors 6502a

nouveau_redneck

Great collection you got there.

Is that a floppy disk in the upper left hand corner of the second photo?

8. ScreenSavers thread starter macrumors 6502

ScreenSavers

Don’t have any of those

Maybe I’ll have to get out my PowerBooks and add to this “Pro laptop” design thread.

9. Nacho98 macrumors newbie

I think Apple did a really nice job tightening the gap between the body and the display when the lid is closed on the current generation. On the prior generations, this always seemed like something you needed to check when unboxing a new one - sometimes that gap was good, other times it was terrible. Seems like the 2016+ models are all really nice and tight here, much more so than even what would've been considered a nice and tight one on prior generations.

10. nouveau_redneck macrumors 6502a

nouveau_redneck

Yes, please. :)

11. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

Nice stack of hardware you got there! My 2009 13inch MBP (the first "Pro" in that size) is still running great!

12. ScreenSavers thread starter macrumors 6502

ScreenSavers

I was noticing that as well! Even the retina models are much better than the unibody models about that.

13. ScreenSavers thread starter macrumors 6502

ScreenSavers

Here you go! Unfortunately the PowerBook aluminum is a 12” so it looks out of place but I don’t have my 17“ here right now so it will do. The other addition is a 1GHz Titanium. Man does this thing have sweet bezels! The screen on the TiBook is about the thickness of the whole 2018MBP!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. AirFerrari macrumors newbie

AirFerrari

Wow good stuff. I have 2011 and 2018 and you can definitely see and feel the difference.

15. pcd213 macrumors member

Dare I say it, but I don't think I've ever been in love with a MBP. I want to love the MBP but in every one that I've owned, I feel like they've missed the mark in one way or another. I did love my MBA when it was at its peak. That was an incredible machine when it was in its prime.

16. Nacho98 macrumors newbie

They have GOT to shrink that trackpad by at least 30%. It's literally double the size of the trackpad on the 2012-2015 model, and literally nobody complained that was too small.

17. ScreenSavers thread starter macrumors 6502

ScreenSavers

It is double the size, according to apple, and that’s the number one reason I upgraded from my 2015. I love it, personally!

18. playtech1 macrumors member

IMHO the TiBook represented the biggest leap forward by Apple in its professional laptop line since the PowerBook 100. It set the bar for modern laptops and would still look pretty modern by today's standards. I think the bezels are the same as today's Retina MBP!

The 2012 to 2015 Retina MBP was then the ultimate in refinement of the classic design. Super solid, thinness to take advantage of the death of optical drives and ubiquitous SSDs. Great keyboard. All round great machine.

The ultraportable sector has had so many design wins from Apple, from the Duo Powerbooks, to the 12 inch Powerbook, MacBook Airs and then the 12 inch MacBook, it's a subject in itself.

19. GoldfishRT macrumors 6502

GoldfishRT

Agreed. On the whole, Apples best designs have often been their smallest.

I know it was a different time, but regarding the G4, it had a proper CPU and a dedicated GPU in a tiny package - something that is only now starting to come back. When I was in high school I showed it off to friends that hey, my ultraportable can play Doom 3. And this was after the MacBook and Pro had debuted. That sucker for all it’s faults still remains the notebook I have the most nostalgia for.

Edit: I do think it’s interesting the current line visually shares just as much if not more with the Ti as it does the aluminum series.

20. ScreenSavers thread starter macrumors 6502

ScreenSavers

The TiBook was the first modern laptop, for sure. Black keyboard, a cover to hide the ports, and small bezels.

The trackpads on these old powerbooks are also worlds better than anything on PC laptops until recently. It's only been the last couple of years that PC manufacturers have started to realize they need to make a decent trackpad. The textured ones from HP and Toshiba were such a joke...

Also, we can't forget to mention the iBooks and white MacBooks. After thirteen years those white MacBooks are indestructable.

21. Ploki macrumors 68040

not that much of a difference between 2012/2016 i feel.
    not as much as previous models anyway

22. alpi123 macrumors 6502a

alpi123

I love the design of the newer ones. They look so thin (not the best feature) and kind of "blocky". I wish to own one day.