Took a swim with new iPhone 5s - Now it won't turn on

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Labez, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Labez macrumors newbie

Around 40+ hours ago I managed to take a swim with my new Iphone 5s in a swimming pool with a mixture of rinsed sea-water and chlorine. I only swam for around a minute when I felt my phone vibrating in my pocket and I got that panic feeling and with once pulled it up and onto land. It managed to turn off by itself before I could even think of turning it off. The phone has a leather casing which held the backside of the phone and the speakers completely dry. I also have a screenprotector on. Now, I've tried to turn it on, I know its completeley dry on the outside and NONE of the outside (headphonejack, sim-card, charger port) water damage indicators have turned red or pink, but it won't turn on after a little charge. I've tried the home and hold-button for 10 seconds, but that didn't work, I've tried the hold-button itself, nothing works. Since NONE of the indicators are red or pink and that I got the phone up pretty quick I have a little faith that it might have survived. Fortunately I have insurance that covers this, but It's a pain because It's the start of the vacation and I actually NEED it. Please help!

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Best thing would have been not to try to turn it on and certainly not to charge it. Basically to put it in a bag of (uncooked) rice for at least a few days without touching it and only then trying any of that.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good job, next time try not to take it for a swim with you.

4. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

5. Labez thread starter macrumors newbie

The thing is that there was no water in the speakers, chargerport, jack or sim-card slot. The indicators are all white/grey. I've tried the rice method on several other devices and it just makes it worse. Small bits of rice tend to get into your phone and when it get wet again, the rice will expand if in contact with water and just damage the device even more.

6. Labez thread starter macrumors newbie

What I'm looking for is a way to recover the photos on a dead Iphone 5s

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You swam around with it inside your pocket for a minute or so but miraculously there is no water inside it.
    Yes, the rice that is inside will expand from the water and then you might need to add some spices and seasoning to it. Makes for good pork fried rice:D
    You cannot recover anything from a dead phone.
    It will need to functioning so you can plug it to itunes and either back it up or move the pictures.
    If it wont turn on how you expect to recover anything from it?

8. Labez thread starter macrumors newbie

You're funny alright. I've recovered data from a ipad that have been under water for a good 20 minutes... It was completely dead and we sent it to apple, they managed to do it, anyone know how to do it?

9. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Hi OP, sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident. :( the water indicators on the iPhone 5 and 5s are located in the SIM card slot (x1) and on the motherboard (x2). How long have you left your phone to dry? Did you put your phone in a bag full of rice? If you had iCloud turned on for backing up photos, there is a chance your pics can been salvaged on Apple's servers. Sent from my iPad.